Shooting tripod head help

deadwolf

WKR
Hey all, I am looking for a tripod head that incorporates either a picatinny, arca, or both attachment for shooting a rifle from. I’m not interested in the TriClaw or that style of clamp. Of course Really Right Stuff makes what I’m looking for, but I’m not going to shell out that kind of money for a tripod and head. Hoping to find something that will mate up with my Slik 624. Any help is appreciated. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have also checked out Two Vets but I don’t think their head will fit anything other than their tripods

That’s tough. I tried a few things on my slik 624 and in the end it just didn’t support a rifle very well, was pretty difficult to shoot off of precisely.

Fast forward to now I have an RRS anvil head, which kicks ass, and a Hogg saddle carbon tripod. Heavier but I can shoot off it. I do plan on getting an rrs tripod, if funds permit eventually. Totally understand not wanting to spend that much.

Probably not what you want to hear, but just what I ended up with. You just have to decide how stable of a setup you want.

The carbon tripod; pretty heavy duty, and rrs anvil head is 4.5 lbs, but will be carried on all my rifle hunts.

Also have a pig saddle but am avoiding taking it hunting if at all possible due to weight, time it takes to dig up and put on.

It is more of a challenge than I anticipated it to be, to find a tripod/head setup that will allow me to use a spotting scope on it as well as a head to clamp a pic or arca rail to. I’ve used the RRS tripod and anvil 30 and man was it nice. Price tag is steep though! I would really like to try the Two Vets shooting tripod and head setup, as it looks to be comparable to the RRS but at 1/3 the price. It might be easier to adapt a small pic/arca rail to an adapter plate and make that work on the shooting style tripod head.

This is not nearly as complicated as people want to make it.
ARCA Swiss or Spartan's Davros system will be your huckleberry. Picatinny requires extra parts and adapters, it's a PITA.
Pretty much every tripod head in the world is ARCA. RRS makes a 3/8 thread ball head for $150, put it on any tripod you want and you're set. Or you can get any cheap $40 ball head, that's fine too. My current one is a Chinese POS, but it works OK. Buy a 3" ARCA section from MDT or similar, screw and epoxy it to your rifle. That's it. I'm running that sort of system right now. You do not need a 5lb tripod. Mine is 2lb with the head. Sitting, with my pack in my lap as rear support, I can hit a 12" gong at 1k like clock work. Just make sure to get the ARCA rail as near back towards the magazine as possible (near the balance point).
The Spartan Davros setup is a little cleaner and nicer. The Davros head is $150. Adapters are cheap, light, and mount flush. Your optics would need adapters too, but it's the cleanest, lightest system.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Do you happen to have a link to the RRS tripod head? I can’t seem to find the $150 one on either the regular site or the SOAR site.

Edit, think I found it, are you talking about the BC18?

While not ideal, you could buy a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter, throw it in your current tripod, take the money on tripod saved and put it into an rrs anvil, and be good. Upgrade tripod At a later time if you see fit.

Or do the same with a cheap ball head just to see if f it’s something you want to invest in

I put an arca Swiss plate on my rifle. Cheap and easy way of doing it.

Drill and tap the stock for a 1/4-20 helicoil, JB WELD it into the stock. Then you can attach an arca Swiss plate to the bottom of your stock. It only works with flatter stocks, unless you can make a flat spot on the bottom of your stock.

b16c3d52d7c00d357aef59fb5ad51f87.jpg
87236601654d31283e0b384f2c87d9d2.jpg

Back