Short Barreled 33 Nosler

Taudisio

WKR
I have a gap in rifle sizes and I have this thought of a 16”-18” barreled 33 Nosler. I want to use 250-270 grained bullets. I have looked for info if anyone has done it, and I can’t find any true velocity expectations for it. I have the thought of 2600+ fps, but I don’t know if it will make it there.

Anyone have any experience with a short barreled 33 Nosler and what velocities should I be expecting? The book has 2850 max load (26” barrel) for the 265ablr, which I would like to run if I find some in stock in the next year. 10” of barrel at -25 fps/inch “should” put me right at 2600 running it hot.

MCS

FNG
There probably aren't very many 33 noslers with short barrels. My 33 has a 28" barrel and my load with a 250 berger is 2920 fps. I ran it up over 3000 fps during load devlopment.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
I appreciate the response! And that’s why I’m curious what to expect. Hopefully someone has a bit of knowledge. A 16” barrel sounds like a dream for some deep, dark timber

BAKPAKR

WKR
You might look at the velocity comparison chart for the 338 RPM to give you an idea of going from 24” to 18”. I have looked at it a bunch as a short 338 appeals to me, too.

Edit: You might also get hold of @338maker. I bet he has tried something similar to what you are talking about.

Last edited:
OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
That’s close, and the rpm was on my list, except I want the extra horsepower even if I don’t use it all. My smith advised 25fps is more or less the average per inch he has noticed in the different nosler cartridges he has built, except a 22” 33 he made, which was beating the books 26” barrel numbers. He keeps pushing me for a 22” or very shortest a 20”, but then says well mine can be an experiment for him lol. I just wanted to see if his one observation was a fluke, and what I could really expect.

UCO___

FNG
I am getting ready to chamber one in 33 Nosler Improved (hopefully). Thinking of going 20-22". Curious to hear others results.

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 33 Nosler. It was originally a Nosler Mountain carbon with a 24” proof barrel. I just put on a 20.5” Benchmark steel barrel. I fired the first 12 rounds through it recently. It looks like I lost very close to 100 fps, or 29 fps/inch. I really debated how short to go given I’d be using a 9+” suppressor.

Knowing what I know now, I wish I had made it a 19” barrel. The velocity loss is just not that great, and maybe it will even speed up once the barrel has some more rounds through it. I originally picked a 33 Nosler because it seemed to be a fairly efficient cartridge, and that seems to be the case.

I've got a 22" 33 Nosler in a CarbonSix barrel on a Tikka action. I've tried a few loads with a few powders on the faster side with less than impressive velocities (best was 2840 w/230gr and IMR4350). I was thinking that I should err on the side of faster powder (for the shorter barrel) but to make use of the greater capacity over the 338 WM, I think slower ones need to be used. I've been looking forever for better powders like RL26 or V560 and will probably put this rifle aside until I do.

I went with 22" as with my suppressor, it was about as long as I was willing to go with, to still squeeze a bit more velocity out of it while still being fairly lightweight. It's about 9.5 lbs total with the can. I do have a 338 WM cut to 20" that comes in around 7.5 lbs if I need to shed more weight.

I built this 33 to have a bit more power and better accuracy without having to go to the 340 wby or 338 rum level. Honestly however, after feeling the effectiveness of the suppressor in reducing the recoil, I kind of regret not just going to one of those.

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
I forgot to mention in the previous post I’m using the 213 Hammer Hunter, H4350 and 2954 FPS out of the 20.5” barrel.

Last edited:

Savagenut

WKR
I built a 338 rum with a 22” barrel. The suppressor I selected wasn’t rated for anything lower than 22” on the rum. I probably would have been ok but didn’t want to jeopardize my warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
Interested in this as well. I’ve got a pile of 33 nosler brass, bullets, reamer, etc and want to do a 16-20” one. I thought I would throat it longer than saami to get a little extra speed??

Doc89

WKR
I've got a 22" 33 Nosler in a CarbonSix barrel on a Tikka action. I've tried a few loads with a few powders on the faster side with less than impressive velocities (best was 2840 w/230gr and IMR4350). I was thinking that I should err on the side of faster powder (for the shorter barrel) but to make use of the greater capacity over the 338 WM, I think slower ones need to be used. I've been looking forever for better powders like RL26 or V560 and will probably put this rifle aside until I do.

I went with 22" as with my suppressor, it was about as long as I was willing to go with, to still squeeze a bit more velocity out of it while still being fairly lightweight. It's about 9.5 lbs total with the can. I do have a 338 WM cut to 20" that comes in around 7.5 lbs if I need to shed more weight.

I built this 33 to have a bit more power and better accuracy without having to go to the 340 wby or 338 rum level. Honestly however, after feeling the effectiveness of the suppressor in reducing the recoil, I kind of regret not just going to one of those.

Which .338 cal suppressor are you using?

Alaska92

FNG
I mentioned the RCM’s on another thread. They are often overlooked and thought of as just another “short mag” that didn’t make it. They have positive attributes over other “short mags” with their primary design centered around their ability to shine in “short barrels”. The .338 RCM is worthy of a look. Handloading would be necessary as factory ammo is a unicorn these days. I can regularly get 2800+ with 225’s in mine with a 20” barrel. I have not tried 250’s yet, although it‘s on my radar.

How’s it performing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really like it, but can’t compare it to another can on my 338’s. It’s changed the recoil quite a lot, hearing safe, and still relatively lightweight especially for being a 33 cal.
IMG_1665.jpeg