Short “ish” 33 magnums

Alright so kicking this idea around… I want to build a 33 cal with a 22” barrel. don’t want to go longer than that as I have a TBAC ultra 338 and that’s 10” on its own. I want to use this as a hunting rig.

I already have a Zeus action with magnum bolt face and a Kauger 338LM bolt.

Been thinking between these 3… 33 nosler, 338 rum, or 338 Lapua. I don’t have a reloading set up as of yet, these three I can find ammo online for, either factory or semi custom stuff like from Hendershots.

Anyone have any experience with either of these with that shorter barrel?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerry35

WKR
I'm no expert 338 guy but I thought of the 33 Nosler when I saw your title. Have you looked at the 338 Wby RPM? That looks like a neat round and Weatherby supports their cartridges.

OP
D
I'm no expert 338 guy but I thought of the 33 Nosler when I saw your title. Have you looked at the 338 Wby RPM? That looks like a neat round and Weatherby supports their cartridges.

I did give it a look, however I have these two actions already… wouldn’t make sense $$$ to jump into another for that cal.

IDShane

WKR
I am building a 338RUM Defiance action, McMillan stock and a 24" Hart barrel so far. I decided to build a 10-12 lb gun hopefully enough weight to take up some recoil. My idea was I want to shoot 265 grain bullets hopefully 2750-3000 fps. I looked at building a 33 Nosler and a 338 Lapua and an edge when it came down to it I wanted a longe range hunting rig and the RUM fit my needs the best.

DaleW

WKR
For a shorter rifle I like the idea of a 33N. 338 lm would probably have more factory ammo options but will be very pricey.

However, if you were able to handload in the future I'd go 338 Norma. It has almost identical performance to the lapua but is shorter allowing heavy bullets to be seated out further and still feed from a CIP length magazine.

OP
D
I am building a 338RUM Defiance action, McMillan stock and a 24" Hart barrel so far. I decided to build a 10-12 lb gun hopefully enough weight to take up some recoil. My idea was I want to shoot 265 grain bullets hopefully 2750-3000 fps. I looked at building a 33 Nosler and a 338 Lapua and an edge when it came down to it I wanted a longe range hunting rig and the RUM fit my needs the best.

Im wanting this for a long range rig as well. I know I’m sacrificing velocity taking off some inches of the barrel. I have the 338 ultra on my LM now and it’s incredibly quiet. Want to keep that going lol

OP
D
For a shorter rifle I like the idea of a 33N. 338 lm would probably have more factory ammo options but will be very pricey.

However, if you were able to handload in the future I'd go 338 Norma. It has almost identical performance to the lapua but is shorter allowing heavy bullets to be seated out further and still feed from a CIP length magazine.

I will get into loading eventually… the shorter case is appealing, should do better in the shorter barrels from what I’ve read

OP
D
I might in the future. Only ammo I can find online is the 300gr smk. I’m looking to hunt with this rig… don’t have any doubts that match bullets kill game… there is this for some reason still hesitation to do so

I encourage the 338 Norma Improved. I built a 33 Nosler with a 22" barrel and a 10 stack AB suppressor. With your extra room in the action and larger suppressor, I think you'll regret going with anything less than 338 RUM amount, minimum. Yeah you won't be getting what a 26+" barrel would be getting but if you aim lower again with amount of powder, you'll have a glorified 338 win mag with a 33 Nosler. I went that way as a relatively lightweight (9.5 lbs total) package would still make sense and I didn't need anything more than 338 win mag performance, but I liked the modern case design.

I was in the same boat as you a year ago. Based on what you posted, I would go with the .33 Nosler. It will give you the best compromise shooting out of a short barrel. The ones others have listed are good rounds as well, but they really lose a lot in a less than 24" barrel.

I ended up going with a .338 Sherman Mega as I have been reloading for a long time and I was building off of a Tikka action, so going with a short, fat case in a long action made the most sense. I am pushing 250 grain Laupa Scenars at 2850 fps out of a 21.5" barrel with a bit to spare. With 250 grain Nosler ABs, my accuary load is a little slower, at 2790. I can get over 2900 with the 225 grain ABs. All of those fit my needs perfectly.