Show Off Your Tikka T3/T3X Groups

What’s everyone’s MOA with their factory (or close to) Tikka. I was shooting at exactly 1” before I switched to a HIgh Desert Rifle Works bottom metal torqued to 35# front and rear. It now shoots .73” with cheap American Whitetail 30-06 150gr. Can’t wait get my hands on some premium stuff.

Motown

WKR
NICE !,

10 shot groups and skinny hunting barrels on lightweight guns don't go too good together
Agreed. They wideland has a little bit heavier contour then the lite, but it was still 90 degrees out last weekend and I wasn’t gonna push it.

Antares

WKR
My 6.5CM Roughtech averaged .44 MOA over 9 three-shot groups when I was doing ammo testing. That was with the factory 140 ELDM load. Blew my socks off. I am not likely to be selling that rifle anytime soon.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
NICE !,

10 shot groups and skinny hunting barrels on lightweight guns don't go too good together

How does a properly stress relieved barrel know the difference between shot number 3 and shot number 4?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
“Reaction” implies there is a difference, I hope this answers your question

It does not.

You stated-

And I am asking why, and how? If your statement is correct, than you should be able to explain how the barrel “reacts” differently between rounds three and four, or between rounds 3 and ten, and what that means to group size.

ETtikka

WKR
It does not.

You stated-

And I am asking why, and how? If your statement is correct, than you should be able to explain how the barrel “reacts” differently between rounds three and four, or between rounds 3 and ten, and what that means to group size.
Ok I got you now, see if this helps,,
Each round equals more friction, and explosion
More friction and explosion equal more heat
More heat equals more movement of atoms
More atom movement equals expansion, thermal expansion in this case
When the metal expands, it changes shape
When it changes shape, accuracy is effected
When accuracy is effected, group size changes

regardless of barrel dimensions, this is applicable, if all metallurgical properties are the same ( near impossible) , a thicker barrel will react slower than a thin barrel because it takes longer to heat up, it “reacts” slower

every barrel has its own metallurgical personality, and shot #4 maybe improve the group size , but in a skinny barrel, usually not

Every barrel absorbs heat between shots 3 and 4, this may help some barrels, but in general, the slimmer a barrel, the quicker it heats up, one shot at a time

phew,,,,,best I got for you, if this don’t help, you will have to go over to snipers hide and research for yourself

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe there’s a thread for this…but what factory ammo do your tikkas like? I got a 6.5 cm last year and still trying to figure it out. I haven’t sent many rounds through it yet. But so far my best groups have come from these 140g federal fusion soft points. I bought a case of 143 eldx precision hunters and it seems like they’re all over the place. Also shot 129g sst super performance well. Dropped a whitetail in its tracks with that last year. Just wondering what y’all like for factory ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antares

WKR
Maybe there’s a thread for this…but what factory ammo do your tikkas like? I got a 6.5 cm last year and still trying to figure it out. I haven’t sent many rounds through it yet. But so far my best groups have come from these 140g federal fusion soft points. I bought a case of 143 eldx precision hunters and it seems like they’re all over the place. Also shot 129g sst super performance well. Dropped a whitetail in its tracks with that last year. Just wondering what y’all like for factory ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I noted above, mine likes the Hornady 140gr ELD Match factory load.

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
Brux 3 contour, 7 saum 180 Berger at 2910 FPS

Attachments

• C9B23D3B-2ACA-478E-B167-D71448E274EB.jpeg
    C9B23D3B-2ACA-478E-B167-D71448E274EB.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 44