Side by side for out of state Idaho mule deer hunt?

May be stupid question but how many of yall bring a side by side for mule deer hunting? Do you road hunt, drive park and pack in or just leave it at home and park your truck and pack in..?

WMag338

WKR
I elk hunted ID a few years ago. There were quite a few trails that were limited to a 50" max width. A full size SxS (mule, ranger, rhino, etc) is wider than this. I believe a SxS would only be able to go on trails that a vehicle is able to drive on. I was very glad i had my fourwheeler with me so i could use the the ATV trails.

The ATV trails allowed me to cover a lot more ground and get to spots that those without one might have to hike to get to. Opens up more country to hunt.

I'm sure there are others with more knowledge than me on this.

I’ve only hunted Challis and Lochsa areas and think a SxS would leave you confined to all the other road hunters buzzing around in the only places they can alongside you.

Not sure it’d be worthwhile for deer, at least in the mountainous parts of the state (most of it?). Good luck!

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
As a resident of Idaho it honestly feels like half of the people who live here have a side by side. It won't get you anywhere that's going to feel exclusive. Most of the people I know who use them advantageously do it just for the smoother ride and to not beat up their truck. We have some horrendous roads. If you're not afraid of getting scratches or a rougher ride you should be fine with your truck. I've never owned one and don't think it would be worth dragging across the country.

One advantage to a side by side, if you’re not hunting solo would be the benefit of leaving a vehicle at the bottom of the mountain, driving to the top and being able to thru hunt without having to pack back uphill at the end. Other than that you’re just fine with a truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
Like mentioned above, you will still only be able to legally go on the main roads in 90% of the areas. ID is great for ATV and phenomenal for single track use, but side by sides, not so much. I think an ATV or motorbike would be great but a lot of units also have motorized hunting rules in place as well.

Huntnnw

WKR
Really depends on the area hunting. I have a spot in ID that a sxs is a lifesaver versus a vehicle. Road is so rough and long that it cuts 1 hour one way off. Not to include if it get slick and snow Id rather have that sxs in there.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say it’s area specific. I have one and bring it with me on most but not all hunts. There have been times when it’s my primary mode of transportation (mostly due to road conditions) rough/snow/mud and it’s saved my hunt more than a few times. Other times, I’ve brought it and it never left the trailer.

For most of my hunts, I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I bring something other than the vehicle I use to get out there. I don’t have a heavy duty truck and can’t afford to beat up my main vehicle.

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted ID a few years back. Just brought my truck out there, and wished I would've had the side by side with. Would've been nice to leave the truck off the main road, and then take the SxS down the 2 track to the trailhead in a couple of spots. From the trailhead we then backpacked in a couple of miles. or so. A couple of the 2 track roads I took my truck down to get to the trailheads were fine when it was dry, but as soon as we got some rain & snow, they were sketch at best coming out. These slick 2 tracks off the side of the mountain would've been much safer coming out on a SxS Vs. my truck.

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Eastern Idaho, this is highly location dependent, like others have said you'll only be able to take it on the main FS roads, but depending on area and the weather some of those are practically impassable to trucks at that point anyway so it can still be a boon. Lots of locals are basically road hunters though so you won't be using it to get away from them, only way to do that is on your boots or with stock, but again location location location, Idaho is a much larger state than a lot of people realize I think and the hunting is wildly different across different areas.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I’d bring it. Is it essential, no. Is it convenient and nice to have, yes. If I owned one, my truck would never leave camp.

Huntnnw

WKR
I’d bring it. Is it essential, no. Is it convenient and nice to have, yes. If I owned one, my truck would never leave camp.
Yup! my trucks suspension and wear and tear is considerable less these days. Instead of crawling around slow on rough roads you can ride in comfort and get somewhere way faster.

Bosco301

FNG
Murphy law. If don’t bring it u will need it. If u have it, bring it. Otherwise you may be limited. Ran into that problem in Utah. Slows u down towing but if are limited to smooth truck roads it may limit your opportunity. In the end you will still have to hike to find anything bigger than a forkie.

bear in mind Idaho’s motorized hunting rules…

In many parts of the state, you can’t hunt from your SxS unless you’re on a road authorized for passenger vehicle travel.

Maybe you were already anticipating that, in which case everyone else’s input is good. Some regular passenger roads in the mountains are truly awful and can be hard on your truck.