Sidearm caliber

What caliber do you guys think is enough for your sidearm to be used as black bear protection when backpacking in the backcountry? Curious to see what everyone else is carrying.

OXN939

WKR
If you look at the efficacy of modern handgun cartridges, 10mm auto is the first one that shows an appreciable difference from less powerful calibers. That or above is good to go. Most people shoot semiautos more accurately than revolvers, and most people become less accurate the the farther up the power chain from .357 mag they get... so G20 is a good choice.

Glock 29, 10mm with either 155 grain lead fee hollow points (California Condor Lead Free Areas) at 1375 fps or 200 grain WFNGC solids at 1250 fps. Or a Smith & Wesson 629 5" .44 mag.

Titan_Bow

WKR
If I’m not in grizz country I usually don’t pack anything other than the weapon I’m hunting with, just seems like a lot of extra weight. In grizzly country I like to have spray and a glock 10mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the G29 SF is the best field pistol on the market. Highly effective loads available for home personal defense and for bears.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I know I should not really be too concerned about black bears but I still carry something with me when I am in bear country. From my limited experience, I wouldn’t count on a 44 stopping a bear, even a black bear, that was intent on getting me. I did some handgun hunting in the past and I have shot six black bears with 44s. Two dropped in their tracks and the other four covered enough ground that they could have gotten me had they wanted to. None of these were self-defense type situations but I did have to shoot quickly on three of them. I think the ability to get off up to sixteen 10mm rounds in a very short time might make the Glock 20 a better choice over a 44 for black bear defense.

In black bear country I’m comfortable with my Ruger Bearcat .22. Spent a couple decades with that set up and it works just fine.
If I’m in real bear (grizzly or Brown) country I want something with more penetration, 38spl/9mm and up

OP
BigCountry344
So let me ask all you guys this, is anyone with an auto concerned about it jamming? I know some guys only take a revolver to the mountains because it will not jam on you.