Sierra designs bags

Lawnboi

WKR
Does anyone use these bags? I can get them at a decent discount and am looking at thier mobile mummy bag and thier backcountry bed. I'm looking for any comments on build quality, warmth and design. Looking to get a 15* version of either in 800 fill.

It's coming down to one of these or an enlightened equipment quilt, Sierra designs would be a hair cheaper but not enough to justify. Looks like EE will be a bit lighter

I've owned a tent and a bag from SD. Not real impressed with either. I doubt if I'll ever look at their products again.

Bought a backcountry bed a couple of years ago. Sweet design and craftsmanship seems as good as the EE quilt I had. Got cold feet taking a down bag to the mountains and it's never left the house. Love the "open top" design and seems comfy when trying it in the house. No clue how it would work in the wild but the design definitely feels more open and less constricting than a mummy bag.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I used the 800 fill 15 degree backcountry bed for a season(august through the last week of October). I sleep warm, and need a liner or a layer of clothing below about 20-25. I would say it's about 10degrees warmer than the rating. I did find my lower half got a little hot in early August. I have the "long" which is actually a long-wide. The design is awesome. The ability to pull the quilt up or down to vent is extremely useful. I found the bag to have a much wider comfort zone on the high end with no cold spots once the quilt is tucked in. The build quality seems solid. I haven't experienced any down loss and the down seems to hold it's loft quite well. I have been careful not to store it compressed longer than a few hours at a time. I did get fairly wet in it one night due to a poorly thought out shelter location. It did a fair job maintaining loft except where I pressed against the down. In those areas it got a little soaked out. Thankfully that was the last night of the season. The pad sleeve is a really nice feature. All my season I used it with a large xtherm. I likely won't go back to a standard bag or anything with a zipper again.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I have a 30+ year old tent and bag from them and I still have both. I still use the 2 man tent every once in awhile...and my kids use the synthetic bag though it has lost some of its stretch. I think its good quality stuff at a decent price.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had their 0deg never summer bag (650fill) for a while. No complaints on it for what it was, the only reason I moved on is I wanted something with a higher fill power. They make respectable stuff, right on pare with marmot and the likes in my mind.