Sierra Gamekings

EdP

WKR
Anyone have any insight into what's going on at Sierra? No new GK supply on the market for over a year now in most calibers. Just .22 cal, 150 and 125 gr in .308, and 175 gr in .277 (which are of no use in a .270 Win). Others like Speer, Hornady, Berger, and Barnes have put some product out in various calibers, but nothing from Sierra. I'm about to quit my favorite bullet mfg.

Bater

WKR
Probably putting more of their time/materials into the Gamechangers (tipped Gamekings) which are a superior projectile

ericwh

WKR
Probably putting more of their time/materials into the Gamechangers (tipped Gamekings) which are a superior projectile
I like the TGK in my 6.5. I really wanted the 7mm 165gr but I haven't seen them anywhere since I started looking. Gave up and purchased some Norma Bondstrike loaded.

OP, there was a bunch of Sierra stuff that came in stock at powder valley the other day. But you if you try and filter by "In Stock" it doesn't show up. You just have to scroll through it all or look at the specific thing you want. I think they do that to try and fool the bots but it's pretty annoying.

ericwh

WKR
Anyone have any insight into what's going on at Sierra? No new GK supply on the market for over a year now in most calibers. Just .22 cal, 150 and 125 gr in .308, and 175 gr in .277 (which are of no use in a .270 Win). Others like Speer, Hornady, Berger, and Barnes have put some product out in various calibers, but nothing from Sierra. I'm about to quit my favorite bullet mfg.

What are you looking for specifically?

Quant

FNG
I think they started making their own loaded ammunition, which appears to have strained their manufacturing. That and they seem to be focused on 22 and 6.5 offerings for the foreseeable future. I used to shoot their 180 and 200 gr GKs in my 300 Wins, but these were hard to get even before the crunch. I shoot Bergers almost exclusively now with similar results, but spending twice as much.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I had such a terrible experience with gk in my 25-06 years ago, I swore I would never use it again. I quickly moved on to better bullets and couldn’t be happier.

OP
E

EdP

WKR
I've been looking for 140 gr TGKs or SBTs in 7mm for over a year. Sierra bullets are what I trust to test the accuracy potential of a rifle and I have a new to me 7mm-08 to test. If it won't shoot them to my satisfaction I'll dump it.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
I had such a terrible experience with gk in my 25-06 years ago, I swore I would never use it again. I quickly moved on to better bullets and couldn’t be happier.
Care to elaborate?

Game Kings are all I have used except for this year due running out and not being able to find them. Switched to Speer Hot Cor.

OP
E

EdP

WKR
I was not happy with the result when I shot a small deer at 100 yds with my .25-06 loaded with 117 gr GK. That didn't put me off GKs though, but rather the .25-06 and bullet combo for that application.

eoperator

WKR
I called sierra and they told me "most resources are put towards most popular offerings, less popular offerings may have an extended production timeline" " production timeline info is not available"

FLS

WKR
Theyre pushing out the .224, 308, and 6mm mostly. They sell more of those 3 than everything else combined. I just snagged a couple of boxes of 77 TMKs.
what kind of failures did y’all have with the .257 Gamekings In the 25-06. I’ve hammered deer with the 117s out of mine for years with excellent results.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Care to elaborate?

Game Kings are all I have used except for this year due running out and not being able to find them. Switched to Speer Hot Cor.

I couldn’t ever get a reliable pass through with them. I switched bullets and solved my problem.

Button

WKR
You wanted to kill them deader than dead? Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
As my buddy’s uncle once said “Killed it to death.” In regards to the devastation a shotgun slug has on white tail.

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
No, I like to be able to find my deer when they run off. Two holes makes that easier.

Even though I’m a .30 and .277 SGK fan I have to admit that 2 holes in almost all kill shots is a requirement for me.

I get this in deer with the SGK in a .308 and 270. Never used a 25-06.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Even though I’m a .30 and .277 SGK fan I have to admit that 2 holes in almost all kill shots is a requirement for me.

I get this in deer with the SGK in a .308 and 270. Never used a 25-06.

Once I started reloading, I switched to Nosler bullets for hunting and never looked back. I will load Sierra MatchKings for punching paper, though.

Rich M

WKR
I'm waiting for them to start producing 100 gr .243 pro hunters again. Can't find em.

My pro hunter loads shoot an inch or less at 250 yards and kill DRT.

Funny thing is that the "less popular offerings" will be gone before they hit the shelves.

No more Sierra stuff til they provide me with 500 .243 pro hunters.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn’t ever get a reliable pass through with them. I switched bullets and solved my problem.
30 caliber 180gr GK never had a time where I didn't have two holes. Back when I had my 270 using 130gr GK and PH always had an exit.

OP
E

EdP

WKR
I didn't have a failure with the 117 gr .257 bullet from my .25-06, just lost a lot of meat. It was a small deer to begin with and I hit both front shoulders (my fault). The deer dropped on the spot but no shoulder meat was left in usable condition. I don't blame the bullet. I don't use that rifle in that application any more because I have better choices available.