Sierra Pacific Closed. So...

Yup, with the all the fires and now this, general season is gonna get extremely crowded on what public land is accessible this year.

amassi

WKR
All the roads through spi were open during archery season, assuming they arent going to lock them up
I would think you'll be totally fine driving through the spi lease as long as you dont leave the road or cut down any of their trees or park a catalytic converter in dry grass.
I'm going to go chase mtn quail Saturday, if I see anyone of authority I'll ask and report

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
itsTyrtruion
All the roads through spi were open during archery season, assuming they arent going to lock them up
I would think you'll be totally fine driving through the spi lease as long as you dont leave the road or cut down any of their trees or park a catalytic converter in dry grass.
I'm going to go chase mtn quail Saturday, if I see anyone of authority I'll ask and report

Other than the fact they have said you can’t drive on our roads... it’s pretty clear to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
I guess I don’t see an issue. They own the land and are losing hundreds of millions in fire loss. I would do the same thing if was SPI. Maybe we should appreciate they allow public access to THEIR land except in extreme circumstances.

Since the SPI closure I have been through their land on forest service roads only. All of their roads and land are off limits until further notice. I have seen multiple recent postings of this by them while travelling through. I'm sure many tickets will be written.

JohnnyB

WKR
My understanding is that the numbered forest service roads as noted on the mvum for each national forest are still passable due to the easement granted. You can’t get off the road but you can pass through. Non-numbered roads would not apply. I could be wrong but I think the forest service still controls the roads (at least in National forests).

OP
itsTyrtruion
My understanding is that the numbered forest service roads as noted on the mvum for each national forest are still passable due to the easement granted. You can’t get off the road but you can pass through. Non-numbered roads would not apply. I could be wrong but I think the forest service still controls the roads (at least in National forests).

When you say “your understanding” where did you get that from?
Cause yo me that sounds like a friend said he heard I can just stay on the roads even tho these signs say I can’t

JohnnyB

WKR
My understanding comes from the issuance of an exclusive easement to the forest service to use the roads to access forest land. The forest service is a public entity and its use is passed to the public. The inholder normally exchanges this for easement to access their inholding. I have not asked a friend yet.

OP
itsTyrtruion
Can I hang out in FBI headquarters... cause their a public entity.

I’m willing to bet your reasoning will still get you a trespassing ticket and be laughed at in court. But good luck

amassi

WKR
Other than the fact they have said you can’t drive on our roads... it’s pretty clear to me

What I was trying to say is that throughout archery season none of the roads through spi near me are closed or marked as being closed. No signs, lots of traffic from hunters, loggers and hikers.

OP
itsTyrtruion
What I was trying to say is that throughout archery season none of the roads through spi near me are closed or marked as being closed. No signs, lots of traffic from hunters, loggers and hikers.

They posted it on media( press release, website, automated phone message) which the law already requires “you to verify” the private land is currently open when not in possession of the written, signed, and dated permission...
Lots of traffic from trespassing hunters, loggers and hikers sounds like.

amassi

WKR
Read my opening weekend report, as a result of those shenanigans I talked to a game warden as well as county sheriff and forest ranger inside a landlocked area that should have been closed per your interpretation of the closure. Youd think one of those guys would have said something, maybe even a warning.

SPI told me that if it's a designated Forest Service Rd. or any easement rd. with gate unlocked and open that accesses other public land, it is free and legal to use. Just dont go off the road on SPI's land in a vehicle or on foot. As it is close to all recreation.

I called SPI for archery. They said as long as we had land we hand permission to be on (NF), we could drive through SPI to get to it. In the area I hunted, SPI didn't put signs up til the Thursday after the opener. Was a sign on tree and a ribbon that was going across the road tied to a piece of wood that was blowing around in the wind.

They posted it on media( press release, website, automated phone message) which the law already requires “you to verify” the private land is currently open when not in possession of the written, signed, and dated permission...
Lots of traffic from trespassing hunters, loggers and hikers sounds like.

Many of the roads through SPI lands are indeed public right of ways that lead to FS or other public lands. those roads (which usually do not have yellow gates) remain open.

I have also been told that it would be nearly impossible to prosecute a trespass case on the checkerboard lands where public roads cross through SPI lands that are not signed appropriately. In those cases the "closure" depends greatly on compliance through word of mouth as they have no way they could possibly enforce it. A facebook post is not one of the means DFW lists as posting land. (Fenced, posted, under cultivation etc).. Those lands are mostly not posted in any way so...... that being said...SPI has taken so much land away from hunting and fishing access already. I would hate to see them take even more away. So compliance would be good. They can always make those closures permanent and take the measures to close it appropriately.

Last edited:

you are 100% correct. SPI has left the roads open that have public right of way easements that access other public land (FS numbered roads)

OP
itsTyrtruion
I stand corrected with my assumption. my wife is certainly excited about this... says it proves im not always right....:confused:

here is the reply I received from SPI;

Hi there:

All of Sierra Pacific Forestlands in the state of California are closed at this time due to extreme wildfire conditions. However, as you have inquired the following is in fact the rules: If there is an legal easement road that runs thru Sierra Pacific property going to a piece of land that you have a legal right to be one, then you have a right to use that road. If you step off that road on either side onto Sierra Pacific property then you would be in violation of that closure.

Hope this answers your question.

Lorelei Gunn

Sierra Pacific Industries