Sig P320 10mm

mcseal2

WKR
I took my 220 Hunter to Kodiak last fall. I luckily never needed it for a bear. I hoped to get a chance at a buck with it, but that didn't happen either. I carried a round of Federal Fusion 200gr bonded soft point ammo in the chamber in case I got a shot at a buck and had the mag full of Underwood 200gr hardcast. I shot it with both quite a bit before the trip, they shot to the same point of aim. It's my heaviest 10mm but has been the most reliable with anything but 170gr ammo loaded to 40 S&W speeds.

I may end up with one of the Xten's at some point but I'm going to let it be out for a while longer first. I won't be back in big bear country until 2024. I have a few 365's now that I like better than any other striker fired gun I've tried. I especially like the XL version. I'd like to see an Xten with the thumb safety personally, all my shooting of 1911's and SAO 220 and 226's have me used to it. My 365's have the safety too.

Noreaster

FNG
I'd like to see an Xten with the thumb safety personally, all my shooting of 1911's and SAO 220 and 226's have me used to it. My 365's have the safety too.
Its a little harder to add the safety to that FCU but not impossible just not as easy as the 365. Can have the safety pocket cut into the FCU, get a safety kit & Dremel the grip module

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks, I may look at that route down the road if they don't release it from the factory. I'd prefer not to modify the FCU on a gun I'd be buying primarily for bear defense. I also like my 220 a lot, I am not sure how much it's worth to me to go to a lighter handgun.

I like things to be multi-purpose whenever possible, especially on AK hunts where I'm flying in with a weight restriction and can't just walk out to the extra gear at the truck if something fails or goes wrong. I can shoot the 1911 or 220 with the single action only trigger more accurately than I could my Glock 20 I had. I just shoot better with a lighter, crisper trigger. If I have a rifle or scope issue, my 10mm becomes my primary hunting gun for the rest of the trip. For me that may be worth the extra weight of the 220. It's not broke, maybe I shouldn't fix it. I have time before 2024 to decide.

LaHunter

WKR
I haven't had any issues with my p320 Xten yet but if I was going hunting in bear country I think I would be more apt to carry my p220 10mm.
Yes I'm sacrificing almost half the rounds in capacity unless I use the 10 round .45 mags that supposedly don't work but actually do
Have you run any heavy hard cast ammo through it? This pistol is on my radar, but I have seen some utube videos of some guys having the hard cast ammo hang up in the magazine and failing to feed

mcseal2

WKR
I’m still curious if anyone has tried the buffalo bore 190gr monometal ammo through it. My 10mm’s that had hardcast issues fed it fine.

Noreaster

FNG
Have you run any heavy hard cast ammo through it? This pistol is on my radar, but I have seen some utube videos of some guys having the hard cast ammo hang up in the magazine and failing to feed
I have not yet, I haven't seen any at the LGS's or from the couple places I order ammo from

Tdudley88

FNG
I haven't had any issues with my p320 Xten yet but if I was going hunting in bear country I think I would be more apt to carry my p220 10mm.
Yes I'm sacrificing almost half the rounds in capacity unless I use the 10 round .45 mags that supposedly don't work but actually do
I will more than likely trade or sell my Xten. The chances of having to use it on a bear are slim but in the event I do need to use a pistol, I dont think you can beat glocks reliability.

Just saw this thread - figured I'd add my experience.

I've had an x-ten since very early on in their release - I've been active on the SIG forum with testing ammo types etc.

It's a very pleasant/fun 10mm to shoot and I really enjoy shooting it.

However, due to the very tight dimensions of the mags, heavy bullets and wide metplate bullets tend to bind on the inside of the magazine resulting in rounds being sluggish or binding when stripped.

After testing 8-10 different loads (make sure you are testing FULL mags as they bind when there are at least 7-9 rounds in the mags) the biggest bullet I had good reliability with has been the 200 grain coated Underwood's. 4-5 full mags (will be shooting a couple more soon) and that load has been 100% for me.

220 grain buffalo bores are a no go in these mags. They will bind. You can manually strip rounds a feel it and they will not reliably feed the next round up.

That said, 180s have all been great for me. Test your loads and know your gun.

FWIW I have had several other 10mms (Springfield, Glock, SIG, FN) and today, the new FN510 is far and away my #1 10mm and will be my woods gun. I have ran 4 or 5 boxes of buffalo bore 220s with 0 issues. 3-400 trouble free feeding in the last 3-4 weeks. Ergos are great, features are great, love it!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A bit off topic maybe…

I just sent my XTen back to Sig to have a curved trigger installed. I wasn’t a fan of the flat trigger. I think my shooting style has my trigger finger too deep in for the flat trigger to be comfortable. I’m hoping the curved trigger makes a difference.

Noreaster

FNG
A bit off topic maybe…

I just sent my XTen back to Sig to have a curved trigger installed. I wasn’t a fan of the flat trigger. I think my shooting style has my trigger finger too deep in for the flat trigger to be comfortable. I’m hoping the curved trigger makes a difference
Would've been better off with a Grayguns hybrid & a p320 trigger is easy enough to swap if you're any bit mechanically inclined