sig sauer zulu 6 HDX vs swaro nl pure 12x42

pjww805

FNG
Looking for some opinions.

Have an opportunity to pick up some used NL Pure 12x42 for a solid price. I've also been looking at the Zulu 6s for the image stabilization. My main question for guys that have used the Zulu 6s is, would these be an upgrade in glass over the Vortex HDs? I get the reason of the stabilization and is prob ideal for free hand glassing, but I mostly hunt open areas and glass with a tripod. Any other advice of pros/cons of each is welcome as well. To note I live in a relatively remote area so it's a good 2 hours to drive anywhere to look through both (not out of the question though)

Thanks!

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
I was glad to see Cliff drop that video... Doug at Camera Land assured me that I would love the Sigs and I have a pair landing tomorrow.
HOWEVER, by all accounts and expectations, they cannot compete with NL Pures from a tripod for clarity! I was told they would contend with the Conquest HD level though.

OP
pjww805

pjww805

FNG

Pretty great perspective imho.
I think they are another tool in the tool box and replace alpha glass in some scenarios but not all.
solid video. Unless this is an older video it's a bummer they don't have a tripod adapter. Nothing better than binos on a tripod for open country. Thats definitely a con for me

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
solid video. Unless this is an older video it's a bummer they don't have a tripod adapter. Nothing better than binos on a tripod for open country. Thats definitely a con for me
Video was dropped yesterday... no tripod adapter on them

OP
pjww805

pjww805

FNG
Video was dropped yesterday... no tripod adapter on them
Good timing for the post then. Only a matter of time before someone makes the strap over top adapter id think? Went out to SE Montana yesterday with the FIL and really wished I had the IS cause all he does is road hunt and doesn't understand the concept of turning the truck off to glass LOL

OP
pjww805

pjww805

FNG
appreciate the input fellas. Time to decide on the Zulus during GOHUNTs for $800 or the pures for damn near half the price of new.

wnelson14

WKR
appreciate the input fellas. Time to decide on the Zulus during GOHUNTs for $800 or the pures for damn near half the price of new.
You can probably get zulus and older ELs for the same price as the NLs and do everything you need.

JGRaider

WKR
When the electronics give out in those Sig's, and it is "when" and not "if", what have you got? There's a reason Zeiss and Canon never got a good toe hold in the hunting glass market with their image stabilized binos. I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig.

dcopher

Lil-Rokslider
If you glass from a tripod primarily, there is no comparison, the NL Pures win without question. I have used the Zulu6 HDX quite a bit and they work really well for what they are. They could be a decent piece of glass for quick glassing and extended looks in the right circumstances, but the form factor is not comfortable in my opinion for extended glassing sessions. For my money, I would pick up the NL Pures and never look back. I may own a set of Zulu6's sometime, but they will be used primarily for glassing during archery tournaments and then maybe from a vehicle during hunting, but for 90% of my use I would stick to the Pures.

OP
pjww805

pjww805

FNG
If you glass from a tripod primarily, there is no comparison, the NL Pures win without question. I have used the Zulu6 HDX quite a bit and they work really well for what they are. They could be a decent piece of glass for quick glassing and extended looks in the right circumstances, but the form factor is not comfortable in my opinion for extended glassing sessions. For my money, I would pick up the NL Pures and never look back. I may own a set of Zulu6's sometime, but they will be used primarily for glassing during archery tournaments and then maybe from a vehicle during hunting, but for 90% of my use I would stick to the Pures.
this was my intial thought. I think the zulus could be superior for walking in timber archery hunting elk.

OP
pjww805

pjww805

FNG
When the electronics give out in those Sig's, and it is "when" and not "if", what have you got? There's a reason Zeiss and Canon never got a good toe hold in the hunting glass market with their image stabilized binos. I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig.
did even think of this aspect. I know they've been around for a few years. I'll look into warranty and if there have been any longevity issues as of yet. Appreciate the input!

kodiak725

FNG
I believe that aziak equipment is making a tripod adapter for them!

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
If you get them from Camera Land there is no tax AND free shipping for $799 for the 12x... 16x are $879

w.travis

FNG
... I was told they would contend with the Conquest HD level though.
No way contend with Conquest HD, unless I have a bad sample of the HDX, which is possible, or maybe I am more of an optics snob than some others who keep praising the HDX. Don't get me wrong, the HDX is great for its purpose, I plan to keep mine as I do find it useful for its niche. However, imo the glass is in the $300-$400 class range. A little below Vortex Viper 12x50 that I recently sold. I have a Tract Toric 10x42 which competes with Conquest HD. The Toric blows HDX away in all aspects optically.

Even my Sightmark Solitude XD 7x36 that I have listed in the Classifieds for $150 has better optical performance (much better actually) than my HDX. Better CA control, birghtness, contrast, and resolution all go to the Solitude, not to mention the FOV... I will say the Solitude punches well above it's $300 price new. I know comparing a 7x to a 16x is not the same, but just pointing out that my HDX is nowhere near a Conquest HD, not even close.

Last edited:

dcopher

Lil-Rokslider
did even think of this aspect. I know they've been around for a few years. I'll look into warranty and if there have been any longevity issues as of yet. Appreciate the input!
There have been plenty of issues. I have not seen issues with the electronics yet, but they are a relatively new product, so not on the market long enough for too much to show up yet, in my opinion. I have seen multiple issues with the glass, especially the objective lenses. They seem to scratch and get damaged really easily. In my small group of friends that have them, I have seen 3 with glass issues.

6.5x284

WKR
I ran both this elk season and sold the Zulu6 after. I ended up only using them from a truck and my NL 12x and tripod the rest of the time after about one week. They are cool but nothing like NLs. With any smoke, fog, or snow they struggle a lot worse than regular binos for some reason as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
pjww805

pjww805

FNG
Picked the NL’s up Wednesday night. They needed a little TLC and I ordered new eye cups. Will be sending them to swaro for refurb after the holidays to avoid the shipping madness. Throughly impressed with the edge to edge clarity and low light visibility. Going to pack up my gear and mess around in the badlands on Sunday chasing rutting bucks with the bow!

Also Played around with my buddies Zulus and I have to say from a running pickup the IS was pretty cool. Definitely something to be said with these and excited to see what other manufacturers potentially hop into this market.