Sig Sauer Zulu9 vs. Nikon Monarch HG

ejp5281

FNG
I was wondering if people have had a chance to compare the Nikon Monarch HG (10x42) with the Sig Sauer Zulu9 (9x45). I am in the market to upgrade my binoculars, but I want to stick within what I think to be a reasonable budget. After some research, of glass quality and price, these are the options that I have come up with. I primarily hunt whitetails in NY (can see far though as I hunt from a treestand on a brushy highline), but I also have plans to hunt in the western states.

I know the basics by looking at the technical information available on each website. One is lighter, one has a bit of a better field of view, exit pupil differences, etc. I was just looking for some first hand experience with the different binos. The Rokslide review of the Monarch HG was awesome and extremely helpful. Wish there was one (or I didn't find it) for the Zulu9's.

Thanks in advance.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Both are great glass, both made in Japan. As far as size goes you couldn't get any further apart. The Sig's are big heavy glass with robust armor. The HG's are light and compact and are only partially armored. If you want bino's you can use and abuse, the SIg's would be the ticket but they are a full 9oz. heavier than the Nikon's and that weight adds up over a long weekend of hiking and hunting. If you keep your glass in a harness then the HG's would be the better choice as you will hardly know they are there due to their light weight.

I've owned the HG's in both 8 and 10x and they are very nice glass. Just a notch below true alpha. If I were forced to hunt with them forever, I wouldn't feel like I was being held back in any way. I think I feel the same about the Zulu 9's.

The HG's are available as refurbs for $699 and occasionally they have a sale for $499. The Zulu's are currently offered for $550, Both hard to beat at that price point.

The Sig's have an unlimited lifetime guarantee. The Nikon refurbs are only a 90 day guarantee. If you want the full Nikon warranty you'll have to pay full price which is twice the Sig's.

If the weight isn't an issue I'd have to go Sig due to the warranty.

has530

Lil-Rokslider
I agree completely with Xlr8n. If all other things were equal going just on view quality and ergonomics I would take the HG's any day, but if you dont mind the size and weight (and somewhat weird angular body) the zulu 9's would be hard to beat at their current price and have a lifetime no fault transferrable warranty vs practically no warranty for the nikon referbs (unless you spend twice as much for new which even then only covers manufacturing defects).

OP
E

ejp5281

FNG
Thank you guys for the responses. They are helpful in helping me make a decision.

has530

Lil-Rokslider
I now have my Zulu9's and got to do a side by side. To me the main differences are:

Size & ergonomics: HG wins hands down. Zulu 9's are big and heavy. This is for a good cause (large objectives and AK prisms), but none the less they are a little heavy long and awkward (even for my large hands)

Brightness: Zulu wins hands down. 45 mm objectives, AK prims (vs SP for HG), good coatings... these incredible low light binoculars and will rival 50mm bins in terms of low light capability (I put them up against my nikon action EX 10x50 and they could see higher mag stars with the Zulu's )which is impressive considering their smaller objectives and porro vs roof prisms).

Color: Zulu wins again but its close. HG's look slightly greenish to me and Zulu's perfectly natural and vibrant. They had comparable CA which is low but present in the center and medium on the edge.

Sharpness: Zulu wins again. Higher center sharpness although both soften moderately about 80% out of the FOV

FOV: HG wins but it is close, it has a large FOV for its class and slightly better corrected edges. ZULU is no slouch and I have no complaints with over 7 deg at 9x.

Focusing: HG wins for me. While the ZULU was a little more precise (the HG has s light amount of play but that doesn't bother me), the HG is well damped and the ZULU was a little tight for me.

Close focus: Zulu wins. Both are better than you will ever need but I measured the HG at about 5 feet and the ZULU a little under 3 (although it was very uncomfortable due to the wide spaced objectives I was going a little cross eyed). Also worth noting the wider objectives on the ZULU give a better 3D effect which I enjoy very much.

Warranty: Sig has a lifetime transferrable no fault warranty while nikon has a limited warranty. Not a huge deal to me but it is worth mentioning.

Overall I would give the ZULU's the edge optically and come in way ahead in low light performance, but still prefer the monarchs for everyday use due to their increased comfort and the fact the fit in my bino pouch and will probably be selling my ZULUS (I will post on classifieds in a little while or you can PM me if interested).

OP
E

ejp5281

FNG
That was an awesome review. My Zulu's should actually be arriving this week (couldn't pass on that deal from Midway). I was considering trying to get my hands on a set of the HGs to do a side by side of my own. I guess the biggest issue will be if I can deal with the weight. I don't have a harness yet, but I am going to buy one for whichever pair of binoculars I decide on.

has530

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you! I don't think you will be disappointed with your purchase. If you go with the ZULU's browse around the gear forums as I have seen a few people discussing harnesses for the maven B.2 which are essentially the same binos as these.