Sighting in new scope - need help!

darmento

FNG
This is going to be a super newbie request for help. I purchased a Nosler model 21 rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and a Zeiss Conquest V4 6x24 scope. Mounted the scope using the Nosler rail mounts that came with the gun, using Warne high rings.

I am having trouble sighting in this beast. The highest power scope I have ever mounted so far was a 3x9. With that one, I just bore sighted it at 25 yards to get it started and then zeroed it in at 100 with paper targets.

For some reason this new rig is giving me a fit. I can’t even get a shot on the paper at 25 yards. So my question is this… how do you long range western shooters sight in your high powered scopes? What is the proper step-by-step procedure? Do you use lasers, or some other method?

Sorry for the newbie question. I want to do this without having the local gun shop sight it for me if possible. Seems like a fundamental skill for me to learn. My range at my gun club goes out to 200 yards, by the way.

As always, thanks for the help!!!

I always just boresight by taking the bolt out, put the rifle on a good rest and pick a spot on a wall or something. Adjust the scope as close as you can. Should get you on paper at 25 for sure. I'm guessing you made sure the rings and bases were tight?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Before doing anything on a new rifle I pull the action from the stock to make sure that there's not anything out of place that might adversely affect accuracy.

Before mounting the scope I check base and ring alignment with a lapping bar. If the bases are off, I bed them, which usually results in the rings being perfectly aligned.

Once the scope has been secured and everything torqued to spec, I use the same method described in the previous post to get on paper. With either a laser bore sighter or with the bolt pulled, you can do a quick check to make sure that the scope is adjusting as it's supposed to.

If problems persist and you're certain that the scope mounting system is solid, I'd try a known scope on the rifle in reference, and the new scope on a known rifle. It will help you narrow down causality.

Last edited:

packer58

WKR
As was mentioned, good ole fashioned bore sighting will cure your issues.

1) Remove bolt from rifle
2) Set your rifle up in some sort of rest/fixture so that it can't move
3) Sight through the bore to a fixed object
4) Once # 3 is complete do no allow your rifle to move
5) Adjust scope windage and elevation so as your crosshairs are on the same fixed point as your bore

This method works very well and with a little practice you can get within a few inches at 100 yrds with your first round.

One thing to know is when making scope adjustments they will be opposite because you are adjusting the scope to the bore rather than bore to scope.

Hope that makes sense....

tuk

FNG
Get a piece of cardboard that goes on a pallet. Starting at 50 yards shoot it being 40x44 it is easy to see how far off u are. Then go out to 100 then keep going out 100 yards at a time.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
This has nothing to do with sighting in but I'm guessing you'd be way better off with low or medium rings.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
First thing I do is mount the scope correctly. I use a torque Fat Wrench, lap the rings, check the rings to ensure they're lined up and then mount the scope to the correct torque specs.

Then at the range I'll put a target down at 100 yds and then lock the gun down so it can't move. Then take the bolt out and look down the barrel and put the barrel on the target. Then adjust the scope as close as possible to the center of the target.

Then I shoot the gun 3x at a 25 yd target aiming at the same point each time. If I did my job, the three rounds should easily be touching somewhere on the target. Then while I keep my head on the scope I continue to aim at the same point on the target and I have someone adjust the scope to the center of the three shots.

I then take 1-3 more shot(s) and it should be dead on at 25 yds.

Only then do I go to 100 yds.

At 100 yds I shoot a three shot group and I should be on the target somewhere. Then from there, I adjust the scope and sight the gun in.

I usually do this with the cheap, in expensive ammo.

Then after it's sighted in, I'll try different loads and see which one groups best in the gun. Each time I try a different ammo/load I DO NOT adjust the scope. With the different loads, I'm just looking for the tightest groups.

Once I have the ammo that's giving me the best groups, then I adjust the scope to that ammo and that's the ammo I stick with for hunting/shooting.

With the riflescope's zero stop set at bottom of range, you should have 80 MOA of upward travel.

If your mount is 0 MOA, you'll want to be at around 40 MOA on the scope. If you have any built in cant on the mount, you'll want to subtract that from 40 and that will give you your approximate zero position.

OP
D

darmento

FNG
Thanks everyone for your advice. I was able to sight the gun in today using the good old bore sight method. Eventually shot a 1.5 MOA group at 100 yards, which is good for me. I appreciate your help!!

Gynaroo

FNG
Get a piece of cardboard that goes on a pallet. Starting at 50 yards shoot it being 40x44 it is easy to see how far off u are. Then go out to 100 then keep going out 100 yards at a time.
This is by far the best thing I do. It saves so much time in seeing how far off you are. I have a bore sighter that is fixed to the end of the rifle and when I look through the scope sight will show a grid. For me it’s been the best way to bore sight. I tried the take the bolt out and on a steady rest. But, struggled to get on paper.

As mentioned above make sure everything is tight to spec using a torque screw driver. When I first started I didn’t think it mattered and it caused tube damage and hard time holding zero.

OP
D

darmento

FNG
This is by far the best thing I do. It saves so much time in seeing how far off you are. I have a bore sighter that is fixed to the end of the rifle and when I look through the scope sight will show a grid. For me it’s been the best way to bore sight. I tried the take the bolt out and on a steady rest. But, struggled to get on paper.

As mentioned above make sure everything is tight to spec using a torque screw driver. When I first started I didn’t think it mattered and it caused tube damage and hard time holding zero.
Thanks for the input. What make and model of bore sighted do you use? Thx again