Silencerco Scythe TI review

Ryan asked me to create a thread for the Scythe. They are sending him one, so I'm sure he will post his thoughts here as well. Ive only had one range day with it, I will be testing it more and will add any new thoughts to this thread after I can get back to the woods to shoot. I used it on my rifle hunts in WY recently, 4 shots were fired and 2 animals down. The scythe performed great, was able to keep animals in scope and get a follow up shot on both critters.

Initial thoughts are that I really like this can a lot. I think it strikes a perfect balance between suppression, recoil reduction, length/width and weight. I would like to see more TI cans be made a little shorter and fatter like this one, interested to see how it does against the hyperion k for instance, since I dont own that one but I know ryan does. Based on how well it did compared to my cans I did shoot it with, I bet it'll do well.

Weight:
8.25 oz on my kitchen scale, this is with the brake endcap and the 5/8x24 direct thread mount it came with

Length/width:
6 & 3/16" long including the brake endcap, 1 & 11/16" wide

I was gonna take a picture of it next to all the other cans we shot that day, but I just realized my friend is cerakoting my enticer STI so I dont have it at the moment. I will line them all up and post a pic when I get the STI back, but I do have a couple pics I took when I first recieved the scythe. Scythe is a little shorter/fatter than the STI if you look at the pictures.

Suppression: Best part about this can, it seems to perform at least as well as the heavier/longer cans we shot that day. We shot the AB raptor 8, AB raptor 10, diligent defense enticer STI, diligent defense enticer LTI, and the dead air nomad TI. The scythe was the lightest and shortest one shot that day. I also was using a 1" reflex mount on both raptors because I forgot to bring the damn direct thread mounts.. We were shooting my 20" 300 PRC with some hot hand loads.

Further shooting/redneck testing will be done, but during our one outing with it so far, we ranked it slightly quieter than the dead air and STI, neck and neck with the raptor 8. The LTI and raptor 10 seemed like they might be slightly quieter than the scythe but it was really close and hard to call definitively, to be honest. I would like to state that all of these cans are great and make my 300 PRC comfortable to shoot without ear pro, though the STI is right on the edge of that for me IMO.

So to sum it up, so far it seems to be performing as well or better than my longer, heavier cans. Its pretty impressive. I didn't notice any POI shift between it and the other cans, but will test that further too. My shots on game with it seemed to be dead on at least. The only reason I can come up with to not pick the scythe when shopping for a new can for your hunting rifle, would be if you needed a larger bore than 30 cal. Otherwise it seems like the best all around 30 cal option out at the moment, in my opinion

If any of you have any questions about the scythe or anything else, feel free to ask

Attachments

• 20231106_132704.jpg
    20231106_132704.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 511
  • 20230922_234703.jpg
    20230922_234703.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 505
  • 20231106_141205.jpg
    20231106_141205.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 512

Montucky

WKR
If you get a chance your next time out with the Scythe, could you see if you can tell any difference with the brake cap on vs without it …..Just curious, great thread! ThankYou

OP
C
If you get a chance your next time out with the Scythe, could you see if you can tell any difference with the brake cap on vs without it …..Just curious, great thread! ThankYou
The brake is the only endcap it came with. Are you wanting me to shoot it with no endcap?

Montucky

WKR
The brake is the only endcap it came with. Are you wanting me to shoot it with no endcap?
I thought it came with another endcap, my mistake, so they’re saying 6oz without the brake cap, but in reality it’s 8.25oz as you stated with the cap

WKR
I would be interested in comparing it to the nomad with the e brake on it.

OP
C
I thought it came with another endcap, my mistake, so they’re saying 6oz without the brake cap, but in reality it’s 8.25oz as you stated with the cap
Yes its 6.25 oz on my scale with no front cap and no mount. Looks like both pieces weigh about an oz each. Im looking into the endcaps, i wanna try a flush one if its lighter weight than the brake

OP
C
Any difference in felt recoil between the scythe and the other cans?
Seemed like the brake helped, but i need to try some different positions and report back after shoot it more. It was muddy where we were so i shot off a stump standing up. Felt less recoil on the scythe vs the STI and nomad for sure

Tahoe1305

WKR
Yes its 6.25 oz on my scale with no front cap and no mount. Looks like both pieces weigh about an oz each. Im looking into the endcaps, i wanna try a flush one if its lighter weight than the brake
It’s a bummer I can’t find the Ti 30 cal endcaps for the omega anymore. Those that have them (until someone starts making them again) they are ~1/2oz lighter than factory. Should make it about 7.5-7.75oz.

I have one downstairs I can weigh and we can compare to the small provided brake.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Looks like both pieces weigh about an oz each. Im looking into the endcaps, i wanna try a flush one if its lighter weight than the brake.
Actually closer to an 1oz if anyone’s counting (my factory omega cap is 1.4oz).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 117

TxLite

WKR
It’s a bummer I can’t find the Ti 30 cal endcaps for the omega anymore. Those that have them (until someone starts making them again) they are ~1/2oz lighter than factory. Should make it about 7.5-7.75oz.

I have one downstairs I can weigh and we can compare to the small provided brake.
Did Hanson Brothers stop making them? I grabbed one a while back for $35

Tahoe1305

WKR
Did Hanson Brothers stop making them? I grabbed one a while back for $35

I’m not seeing them anymore. A few months back they had them with a .46 hole, but now nothing. Seems a bit weird should be easy part with high demand.

TxLite

WKR
I’m not seeing them anymore. A few months back they had them with a .46 hole, but now nothing. Seems a bit weird should be easy part with high demand.
Might give them a call. I was able to get a 30 cal upon request. But that was January of this year.

Last edited:

TxLite

WKR
Glad to see it’s doing well with your 20” 300prc. Any plans to test on other calibers soon? I’ve got one in jail and curious to see how it compares with 7mm and 556 options