Silent cover on top of puffy?

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Freaking puffy cost me a good buck this weekend (noise when drawing). Anyway I’m thinking the best solution is some sort of quiet layer I can throw on over the top on those dead calm days (I wouldn’t bother when there is some wind noise). Anyone have any suggestions? Or some other idea?

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I wear my firstlite klamath over the top of my puffy. Keeps my puffy from snagging/tearing, kept me from buying a camo puffy and it’s quiet

WoodBow

WKR
Heard Allen Bolen say he puts a Kuiu Peleton 240 over a puffy whitetail hunting To stay quiet.
My personal experience is that the 240 is almost as loud as an uncomp puffy. I bought it specifically for a quiet layer with some wind resistance. Silent it is not. I don't think you will be able to draw sub 20 yards on whitetail if it is dead calm.

I have used garments over a puffy. I think just about anything quiet will work. I would say that if the outer garment prevents the puffy form lofting, you will lose a lot of warmth so size up if you are buying something New.

Dented

WKR
I wear oversize camo over a puffy for both pants and jacket. If I'm hunting a climber, it's just about required. Get something quiet and oversized. Work's great.

come2elmo

WKR
I wear my firstlite klamath over the top of my puffy. Keeps my puffy from snagging/tearing, kept me from buying a camo puffy and it’s quiet
I am doing the same with a fl halstead (klameth predecessor) size up to protect loft and it works well. Looking at the new origin hoody as a replacement. Not sure how quiet it is though.

I wear a puffy under my stratus jacket in the stand. Works well, and provides good warmth. Never had a problem spooking deer with it, even when it’s dead quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My personal experience is that the 240 is almost as loud as an uncomp puffy. I bought it specifically for a quiet layer with some wind resistance. Silent it is not. I don't think you will be able to draw sub 20 yards on whitetail if it is dead calm.
I agree. This is why I got rid of mine. Everyone says it's quiet but it's really not.

Freaking puffy cost me a good buck this weekend (noise when drawing). Anyway I’m thinking the best solution is some sort of quiet layer I can throw on over the top on those dead calm days (I wouldn’t bother when there is some wind noise). Anyone have any suggestions? Or some other idea?
Most have suggested a fleece over the top. You might check out the Amazon basics line up. I picked up 1 for $20 and have been throughly impressed with it (decent quality for the dollar, YKK zippers, etc.)- so much so that I bought another.

WoodBow

WKR
Most have suggested a fleece over the top. You might check out the Amazon basics line up. I picked up 1 for $20 and have been throughly impressed with it (decent quality for the dollar, YKK zippers, etc.)- so much so that I bought another.
I looked for amazon basics but all that is coming up is amazon essentials. Same thing? Can you share a link of the one you like? Looks like several options.

I looked for amazon basics but all that is coming up is amazon essentials. Same thing? Can you share a link of the one you like? Looks like several options.
Amazon Essentials Full Zip Fleece Jacket

Just seeing it almost made me buy a third, ha!

Depending on how eager you are, it'll come down to $19 periodically throughout the year.

I would also say they're true to size. So, if you're trying to throw a puffy on under it, you'll definitely want to size up.

The one black eye I would give it is with the hood. It's definitely a looser fitting hood that won't hold tight to your face like some other fitted grid fleece, etc. (Patagonia R1, OR Vigor, Klamath from FL, etc.).

The Condour grid fleece would be a great mimic of pricier brands at lower costs. I own one of these too.

WoodBow

WKR
Amazon Essentials Full Zip Fleece Jacket

Just seeing it almost made me buy a third, ha!

Depending on how eager you are, it'll come down to $19 periodically throughout the year.

I would also say they're true to size. So, if you're trying to throw a puffy on under it, you'll definitely want to size up.

The one black eye I would give it is with the hood. It's definitely a looser fitting hood that won't hold tight to your face like some other fitted grid fleece, etc. (Patagonia R1, OR Vigor, Klamath from FL, etc.).

The Condour grid fleece would be a great mimic of pricier brands at lower costs. I own one of these too.
Any conplaints on the length? Reviews i read from people 70" or taller, complained of it being short.