Silverthorne Area / Elk Hunting

bradywk

FNG
Hey guys,

First post here. I just moved out to the Silverthorne area from Pittsburgh, and absolutely loving it so far. I don't really know anyone in the area, and would love to meet anyone nearby who elk hunts.

Would be cool to scout, shed hunt, and shoot / train with anyone in the area! Shoot me a PM if your nearby and want to link up!

Gerbdog

WKR
Welcome to the forums , loads of good information and good people on here, are you just getting into elk hunting or something you've done before when living out east (traveled out west)?

• Banned
OP
B

bradywk

FNG
I have elk hunted before, gone on trips 4 years in a row now down in the Durango area. Looking to hunt around my house now in GMU 371.

Not looking for info on spots or anything, just looking to see if anyone around the area wants to do some shed hunting, shooting, scouting or anything of the sort!

Stuck2

Lil-Rokslider
Can't really help with the training but I've bowhunted around Silverthorne a few times. Like any place elk are where they are. I've seen a herd of cows while gassing up at the Kum an Go on the north edge of town. Theres a trailhead just past the outlet mall that you can access that area pretty quickly but a lot of people and private property close. I've spent most of my elk time around the Green Mountain Reservoir. Had chances but never connected. Good area you have access to. Load up a pack and head up a trail is the best training to do. Carry a map or GPS and mark any sign/sightings you see. Good luck - I'm jealous!

• Banned
OP
B

bradywk

FNG
Heck yeah man, appreciate the info! Green Mountain is definitely a bit isolated, could definitely see some bulls being over there!

squirrel

WKR
cover miles, lots of miles, when you think you have covered a lot of miles then you need to up your game and double it, at that point you may be covering almost enough miles...

• Banned
OP
B

bradywk

FNG
I believe it man, definitely willing to put in the work!

Gerbdog

WKR
I believe it man, definitely willing to put in the work!
Good attitude, you'll get into elk eventually for sure, and since you live there you'll start to map out your own honey holes and your success rates will go way up year after year, happy for you! If i lived closer i'd be all about getting some hiking in with you but i dont, i gotta go locate my own elk in other units haha.

OP
B

bradywk

FNG
For sure man! Looking to go down to the Gunnison / BV area in the next couple weeks, hope to find a couple sheds. let me know if you want to join!

I spent
cover miles, lots of miles, when you think you have covered a lot of miles then you need to up your game and double it, at that point you may be covering almost enough miles...
My experience in there, I'd do just the opposite.

squirrel

WKR
Miles do not mean linear miles, mine generally look like "plate of spaghetti miles" if plotted in hind site. When I first moved to the Breck area I probably put in 400+ / month never leaving one pile of dirt, but after a month I knew every bench and spring seep and ended up with my first cow with a bow (the earth trembled when she fell!). But all you really need is an app on the phone, follow arrows to the pile of "free meat" :)

I walked that area flat last year, started in the snow, ended in the snow. I know what you're saying, but I guess you have to walk in order to see.

OP
B

bradywk

FNG
Appreciate all of the discussion guys, this is great! Let me know if anyone wants to get out and do some walking!

The OP will have fun looking up there that's for sure. Know where your photo is, been there, and the back side. All trails lead to a wall! Saw a crusher of a mountain goat near there.

MHB

FNG
OP, keep in mind that Colorado has restrictions on collecting sheds. The season west of I-25 doesn't open until May 1.

I have several buddies that hunt up that way and do well.