Single pin sight in hunting situations

Usi05

WKR
Weary about going single pin in a hunting setting. Things can happen so fast but I love the idea of no pin clutter.

How many of you’ve guys are living by these in the field?

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
Look into the 3 pin slider. I use it for hunting and love it. I have the CBE. You have the advantage of set pins in case of a quick shot or follow up shot situation, but also can dial down to longer ranges and let it fly.

I've used one for years, and I'm much more accurate with it. Tried to go back to a 3 pin slider last year and it was a train wreck. I learn to hold over/under from 20-50 when it's set at 40, and dial for everything else. I have an Axcel Accuhunter frame with a smaller scope.

I am not the most experienced hunter but I went from a 5 pin fixed to a single pin to a 3 pin adjustable to a 5 pin adjustable.

After trying the single and 3 pin I just couldn’t dial fast enough when it counted. 5 pin adjustable gets me 0 to 20-30-40-50-60 with no need to dial. That covers any hunting shot I would ever take and let’s me stretch out for practice if I want. I can also gap for distances in between pins.

The trade off is pin clutter but I cant say that ever really bothers me personally and I have only misaligned pins once that I recall.

Buglemin

FNG
Just got my 3 pin slider. When cranked all the way up, I plan to have 20, 30, and 40. When hunting if the tape ever falls off in the back country, I can go back to cranking it all the way up and at least know I still have 20, 30, 40 yet.

What are you wanting to hunt? I use a single double pin for elk, but if I was going to do whitetail I’d use a 3 pin slider. That’s just me though. If hunting both I’d have two bows haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
I love my cbe single pin on hogg father base. Leave it at 30 and theirs barely any hold over/under for 20/40 and then I dial out the rest. It’s helped me a ton with target panic and pin clutter I didn’t even know bothered me until I finally used a single pin for the first time. The only thing I don’t like is shooting 60 and beyond I find my sight housing not being centered in my peep anymore, but I watched a recent video on here the other day and figured out what I was doing wrong

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
I love my cbe single pin on hogg father base. Leave it at 30 and theirs barely any hold over/under for 20/40 and then I dial out the rest. It’s helped me a ton with target panic and pin clutter I didn’t even know bothered me until I finally used a single pin for the first time. The only thing I don’t like is shooting 60 and beyond I find my sight housing not being centered in my peep anymore, but I watched a recent video on here the other day and figured out what I was doing wrong
That being said try both and use whatever makes you a better shot nothing else matters

TauPhi111

WKR
I have also been weary of single pin sights. I like the stacked vertical pins, but only trophy ridge seems to make a sight like that. I have a 3 pin but I'm switching to a 5 pin this year. I can think of more than a few occasions where a single pin would have cost me the shot because I couldn't dial the shot. There have also been times I've had to adjust at full draw and with a single pin you cant do that unless you now your range and your drop.

OP
Usi05

Usi05

WKR
What are you wanting to hunt? I use a single double pin for elk, but if I was going to do whitetail I’d use a 3 pin slider. That’s just me though. If hunting both I’d have two bows haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This bow will be primarily for elk! Got a whitetail set up on another bow but I may sell it!

Two fixed pins, 25 and 40 yds. Fairly clean sight window and still has the ability for a quick reference adjustment at 50 yds. Most holdovers aren't much more than just below the back or just above, depending on the animal.

Sled

WKR
cbe single pin set at 30 for me. anything over 40 yards i will dial.

Kay9Cop

FNG
Spot Hogg two pin with two pointers on the yardage wheel. It gives you a second point to bracket from if the animal moves and the second pointer also has a calibrated yardage reading no matter what yardage the first pin is at.

I also really like the TruGlo Range Rover Pro / Apex Covert Pro with two dots. The only drawback is the second dot isn't calibrated with a second pointer like the Spot Hogg two pin sights, so you just have to know how much more distance it gives you. But, the open field of view from the LED dot with no arm to get in the way is amazing! I've been looking at a way to rig up a second pointer. The Apex is easy if I could ever get customer service to answer me. The TruGlo is a little more involved.

Vandal 44

WKR
I have the Black Gold 5 pin slider one bow and the Spot Hogg Fast Eddie two pin on another bow. I hunted with the Spot Hogg last year and I really like it, nice clear picture, its not to busy. I like the Black Gold pins a little better they are very bright in low light.

If you make the switch to a single ping slider I would recommend you purchase it early and practice a lot with it. I lost a few arrows because I forgot to move the slider as I changed yardage when practicing

CJF

WKR
I have shot a single pin for 15 or so years...CBE TEK for the last 6 or 7. Moved to the Fast Eddie with the double pin setup...still single pin profile but with the additional aiming reference. Ended up shooting a bull with the second pin, no problem. I won't be switching for a while.

bsnedeker

WKR
I think the bottom line is that if you are comfortable with holdover a single pin is a great option. If you need a pin exactly on the spot you need to hit you should go with a multi pin. I use a vertical double pin with the top pin set to 30 and I can hit anything from 0 to 50 without touching it, but I can dial out to about 110 for practice. On an elk sized target I'm very happy with that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dkime

WKR
I use a single pin CBE Tek Hybrid Pro, even with a 500gr arrow I killed my last buck this year at 42yds while my sight was set at 30 and did not consciously holdover. My specs are 29/70 and the arrow is around 272fps. 40 and in is a no brainer for medium size game. Just point and shoot. I've got roughly 10" of drop at 40 in a perfect scenario, but the POI will shift +/- based on your group size. My recommendation would be to go the CBE route with a 5 pin because I can show you how to convert it to a single pin if you feel the urge or back to a 5 pin. The single pin housing and the multi pin housing are the exact same and allows you the ability to change it back and forth if you're moderately mechanically inclined.