sitka 120 merino hoody

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Looks interesting, didn’t know they released this.
Does anyone know if it’s a blend for 100% merino? I prefer 100% instead of a blend.

nickstone

WKR
I picked up the hoody and ss shirt. It's an 85/15 nylon blend. It's pretty smooth and similar to Smartwool.

I like it better than any of the FL or Kuiu merino stuff I've got.

Can't say about durability, but the quality of it seems top notch.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I believe it’s a combo of nylon and merino - like merino spun around a nylon core. Similar to Nuyarn, which markets against blends. Personally the performance gains seem worth trying multiple materials. I don’t see where Sitka defines material %s in “armor spun” merino.

i'll have an informed opinion on it in a month. out of the bag it doesn't seem much different than the FL wick.

mck71

WKR
Hey ResearchinStuff, I’m curious about the Sitka Wool too. What has been your experience with it so far? Thanks!

Definitely more durable than the first lite wick. Don't love that the hood has 2 chest zippers. Might be a tad stinkier than pure merino. If you don't have one, it's a good buy. If you already have something similar it's probably not an upgrade.

jd1006

WKR
It’s better than the wick options from FL, on par with the Chinook from SG. The design is exactly what folks who stink up the LW hoody have been wanting for a while.

it did really well in 80-degree sunny temps. it's a great piece. I like the fit of the SG chinook better. The sitka fits a little looser. Its very thin but is actually durable. busted some brush and didn't get any holes.

For whatever reason the SG sinks quicker for me than the sitka one which doesn't really make sense.

I believe it’s a combo of nylon and merino - like merino spun around a nylon core. Similar to Nuyarn, which markets against blends. Personally the performance gains seem worth trying multiple materials. I don’t see where Sitka defines material %s in “armor spun” merino.
To be clear it’s opposite that of KUIU. Armor spun is nylon warped around the wool fiber. So far it seems to be more durable than other blends.

Last edited:
i wore my shirt probably 40 times this season, it has a few very minor holes, but no other visible wear. Dramatically more durable than a FL wick hoodie

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
how is the sizing on this hoody? I usually wear a large tall core light hoody, i remember sitkas old old merino i needed an XL. I like that tall version just for sleeve length.

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
In for the sizing info as well, I'm usually LT and go XL if tall isn't available may give it a shot.

mdtennant

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely more durable than the first lite wick. Don't love that the hood has 2 chest zippers. Might be a tad stinkier than pure merino. If you don't have one, it's a good buy. If you already have something similar it's probably not an upgrade.

What is it about the chest zippers you don't like? 1 is to vent and the other is for a chest pocket.

I am probably on the other side of that one, as I want a chest pocket on my base layer and won't buy a base that does not have one. Hence no FL wick for me.

Maybe I am an oddity [been called worse], but I tend to run light if walking a lot and use chest pockets for thing I don't want bouncing in my leg pockets, like primers and quick loads for my muzzleloader and other things.

Just curious about your perspective.

i never use the chest pocket, so it's just added bulk for me. the zipper for the vent ends right at the pressure point of my bino harness, so there's a comfort issue if it's fully unzipped. both are very minor complaints, but were noticeable coming from the wick hoodie that has zero chest zippers.