Sitka Core Merino - Reviews & Comparisons?

Anyone had some real time in the field with the new Sitka Core Merino System? Looking for feedback and how it compares to other items on the market in all 3 weights, 120, 220 & 330.

Unlikely that there is much 330 weight feedback quite yet and probably limited on 220 but want to hear what everyone thinks so far on all of it.

Bump79

WKR
The price has kept me away. I can't see it being that much better than the other options already on the market for substantially less money. That said - if you like it rock it!

OP
Timberdonkey_059
I havent picked any of it up yet, wanting to know how the new armor spun wool is performing first. does it really still have the benefits of will with more durability or are there some draw backs to it etc.

Not sure what to think about the 330 either being that its basically a synthetic next to skin with merino outer.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
Giving this a bump just to see if there is any other feedback out there before i bite the bullet and buy some to try

I have the intercept and 120 hoody. I sent the 330 back. Ive worn the 120 in place of the core lightweight hoody for maybe 10-14 days and prefer it. Havent had any durability issues.

I will say across the board these sitka pieces are noticeably thinner than others on the market listed at or around the same weight. For instance, the kuiu 120 and first lite wick feels nearly twice as thick.

The only time I wear something in the 330 weight range is static in a tree. The 330 sitka feels more similar to something in the 200s from first lite and kuiu. Id compare the 330 to the kiln - and at 250 Id say the kiln might feel thicker. Compared to the furnace thats 350, its not even remotely close. The sleeves on the 330 were absurdly long as well.

For those that have used both Sitka merino 120 and KUIU 120 what r pros and cons?

Kuiu - I have the 120 crew, LS crew and hoody - thicker, more comfortable, no zippers, less bulk due to lack of zippers and no chest pocket.

Sitka - I have the 120 crew and the 120 hoody - thinner (very thin), half zip on hoodie with chest pocket that I never use. I havent had durability issues with the hoody, but I cant stress enough how thin it is. I have had some widening of the neck on the crew - of all these pieces, I probably wouldnt buy the sitka 120 crew again because I just cant see it lasting. Ive used the 120 hoody more than the core lightweight this year, and prefer it.

Id say if you plan on using the kuiu 120 hoody or the sitka 120 as an outer layer more often, get the sitka. If you are going to use them more as a base layer, the kuiu is a bit warmer and more comfortable. The loftier Kuiu would snag more, the Sitka 120 is tigher woven and would hold up better as an outer layer.

To me I think of the 120LT as base layers that I layer over and dont wear much as an outer layer. Ill usually wear the 120LT crew under the core lightweight/sitka 120/core heavyweight/midweight etc. Ill use the 120LT hoody or crew as a baselayer under the ambient hoody or apex, etc. I only have the kuiu in solid colors, and end up wearing them as a base layer around town or at work. Really comfortable pieces.

Out of the crew options, Id take the Kuiu all day every day in any situation.

Kuiu - I have the 120 crew, LS crew and hoody - thicker, more comfortable, no zippers, less bulk due to lack of zippers and no chest pocket.

Sitka - I have the 120 crew and the 120 hoody - thinner (very thin), half zip on hoodie with chest pocket that I never use. I havent had durability issues with the hoody, but I cant stress enough how thin it is. I have had some widening of the neck on the crew - of all these pieces, I probably wouldnt buy the sitka 120 crew again because I just cant see it lasting. Ive used the 120 hoody more than the core lightweight this year, and prefer it.

Id say if you plan on using the kuiu 120 hoody or the sitka 120 as an outer layer more often, get the sitka. If you are going to use them more as a base layer, the kuiu is a bit warmer and more comfortable. The loftier Kuiu would snag more, the Sitka 120 is tigher woven and would hold up better as an outer layer.

To me I think of the 120LT as base layers that I layer over and dont wear much as an outer layer. Ill usually wear the 120LT crew under the core lightweight/sitka 120/core heavyweight/midweight etc. Ill use the 120LT hoody or crew as a baselayer under the ambient hoody or apex, etc. I only have the kuiu in solid colors, and end up wearing them as a base layer around town or at work. Really comfortable pieces.

Out of the crew options, Id take the Kuiu all day every day in any situation.
Thank you for the detailed response. I should have been more specific I was referring to the hooded version in both brands which you covered as well.

Mugen

FNG
I have the intercept and 120 hoody. I sent the 330 back. Ive worn the 120 in place of the core lightweight hoody for maybe 10-14 days and prefer it. Havent had any durability issues.

I will say across the board these sitka pieces are noticeably thinner than others on the market listed at or around the same weight. For instance, the kuiu 120 and first lite wick feels nearly twice as thick.

The only time I wear something in the 330 weight range is static in a tree. The 330 sitka feels more similar to something in the 200s from first lite and kuiu. Id compare the 330 to the kiln - and at 250 Id say the kiln might feel thicker. Compared to the furnace thats 350, its not even remotely close. The sleeves on the 330 were absurdly long as well.

Out of curiosity, besides the sleeves on the 330 being absurdly long, were there other issues with it?

And is there any feedback somewhere on the 220 Half-Zip yet?

I'm somewhat wary of the longevity of the 120 weight, even if it's "ArmorSpun" merino and nylon.

Rusin

FNG
Out of curiosity, besides the sleeves on the 330 being absurdly long, were there other issues with it?

And is there any feedback somewhere on the 220 Half-Zip yet?

I'm somewhat wary of the longevity of the 120 weight, even if it's "ArmorSpun" merino and nylon.

I haven’t don’t have the same issue with the sleeves being long on my 330, granted I’m 6’2 - it is a somewhat baggier fit than I anticipated though.

The 220 half-zip does seem a little thinner than other merino mid-weight pieces on the market as said above: that being said, it feels nice, soft, and is pretty warm. Haven’t busted a bunch of brush in mine yet, but it doesn’t feel a TON more durable than any other merino based garment. Maybe more so than First Lite’s, but certainly not indestructible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mugen

FNG
I haven’t don’t have the same issue with the sleeves being long on my 330, granted I’m 6’2 - it is a somewhat baggier fit than I anticipated though.

The 220 half-zip does seem a little thinner than other merino mid-weight pieces on the market as said above: that being said, it feels nice, soft, and is pretty warm. Haven’t busted a bunch of brush in mine yet, but it doesn’t feel a TON more durable than any other merino based garment. Maybe more so than First Lite’s, but certainly not indestructible.

Thanks for your thoughts.

If you had to choose one, which do you think is better, the 330, or the 220?

Also, how durable do you feel the 330 is?

If I get one of these, I'm leaning towards going with the 330. I'm also wondering what the reviews in general are on the 330 Half-Zip, versus the 330 Hoody.

Rusin

FNG
Thanks for your thoughts.

If you had to choose one, which do you think is better, the 330, or the 220?

Also, how durable do you feel the 330 is?

If I get one of these, I'm leaning towards going with the 330. I'm also wondering what the reviews in general are on the 330 Half-Zip, versus the 330 Hoody.

They all feel the same (120, 220, 330) durability wise - I wouldn’t be too terribly rough on any of them.

If you’re going to be very static, I would lean towards the 330. It’s pretty thick and warm, but it will likely be overkill if you’re not hunting late season or you’re moving a lot.

Mugen

FNG
They all feel the same (120, 220, 330) durability wise - I wouldn’t be too terribly rough on any of them.

If you’re going to be very static, I would lean towards the 330. It’s pretty thick and warm, but it will likely be overkill if you’re not hunting late season or you’re moving a lot.

Thanks, if that's the case regarding durability for all 3, I might look elsewhere.

I have some stuff from Voormi, which uses a proprietary merino/synthetic blend, and I feel that especially their higher weight stuff is pretty durable. But I also have a 100% merino First Lite hoodie that seems less durable, so I know that with merino you have to be choosy if you want durability.

I recently sold a Kiln top and furnace bottom to move to Sitkas new armor spun merino. I have the 330 and the 120 and used the 330 almost exclusively this gun season in KY. It is awesome. Super soft as a next to skin layer, didnt take on smell (all merino is like this), and stayed in shape better between washings than the FL baselayers did. I think ive washed it twice in 3 weeks?

I couldnt be more pleased with it. Only problem ive had is I bought the core heavyweight bottoms cuz I got a deal and now Im kicking myself for not waiting and grabbing the merino version!

Vr1p

FNG
I’ve got the 120 long sleeve and the 330 hoody, I wear the 330 under my jacket and over the 120. Have only have them this whitetail season but so far I really like that combo and it has held up great, especially when washing compared to traditional merino.