Sitka Ambient and Mountian Evo ?

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I got both of these jackets since they were on sale. Does anyone use these 2 items together? I figured the Ambient would go over the Evo jacket? At least that feels more comfortable than other way around. Obviously layering when needed. Won't be field proven for a while, but when things are on sale, got to get them. I am upgrading anyway from 10-15 year old camo. Yes the old stuff works, but tired of the bulkiness and looking like a camo marshmallow.

OP
FLHunter87

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Makes sense. It's more comfortable that way anyway if layering is needed. Thanks.

Blue_dog

FNG
Both are awesome. The ambient is a great piece over a base layer in a ton of different temps. The evo is great solo for light rain / gusty wind or with ambient.

I own both and haven’t run them together. My EVo is a bit snug for too much layering.

OP
FLHunter87

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I own both and haven’t run them together. My EVo is a bit snug for too much layering.
Why don't you wear the Evo under the Ambient? That's what I'm going to do of I need to layer. It was way more comfortable and I imagine insulation and warmth wouldn't be a problem.

Why don't you wear the Evo under the Ambient? That's what I'm going to do of I need to layer. It was way more comfortable and I imagine insulation and warmth wouldn't be a problem.
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I wear the Evo under the ambient.

TXCO

WKR
I tried both together. Got rid of the evo. I love my ambient 100. The evo was a good idea but got lost in the gray area of clothes. Some like it but I couldnt justify over my rain shell or a full jetstream for a small weight penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump79

WKR
You should be wearing it over not under in my view. Its more of a soft shell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, the logic of having the windproof layer under has never made sense to me. Especially with these hyper breathable mid layers. Isn't that the whole point?

I got both of these jackets since they were on sale. Does anyone use these 2 items together? I figured the Ambient would go over the Evo jacket? At least that feels more comfortable than other way around. Obviously layering when needed. Won't be field proven for a while, but when things are on sale, got to get them. I am upgrading anyway from 10-15 year old camo. Yes the old stuff works, but tired of the bulkiness and looking like a camo marshmallow.
Yes, started with the system hunting in Aug last year above treeline for sheep and finished with it in Jan chasing mulies and aoudad. So essentially 5 months and temps from 18-80degrees.

I use the Evo as my rain jacket and outter wind layer. I use to be a big mid layer grid fleece guy, I now think the ambient is way more versatile from weight stand point, especially in terms of breathability and drying.

If I lived in the Wet PNW, I would just carry rain jacket instead, but most places I hunt I get short rains or dew, and evo works better as its more breathable. That back panel is extremely breathable, and the DWR of that panel is pretty decent. If i have moisture, i just drop pack and set with back to wind, I dry out quick.

I wear evo over ambient if I need it.

Last edited: