Sitka Ambient UL 60 Hoody

Braaap

WKR
the fit is definitely accurate based on their “standard” fit pieces. I’m a size large/large tall in all their tops, accurate measurements throughout the chest. Definitely short in the torso, which is a tad annoying.
What is your height and weight?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got mine today. Definitely "athletic" fit, I ordered a Large, but could have probably gone with an XL- 5'11" 180-ish. It's pretty close for me torso length wise.

I snapped a couple of pics inside out to show where the Alpha is and where the grid fleece is. The grid fleece is NOT the same as the Heavyweight hoody, it's a lighter grid fleece- about the same as the fleece panels on the new Evo.

Mine weighs 9.3 oz (Large)

I'd say roughly 60% of the jacket is 60 gram Alpha w/ a light outer fabric, the rest a lighter grid fleece

I think this jacket is going to breathe really well, but still providing some decent insulation. If the weather holds, should be getting in 3-4 days in this coming weekend for some high country mule deer.

Front

jw76eV1.jpg

Back

MyP4nMY.jpg

Braaap

WKR
Got mine today. Definitely "athletic" fit, I ordered a Large, but could have probably gone with an XL- 5'11" 180-ish. It's pretty close for me torso length wise.

I snapped a couple of pics inside out to show where the Alpha is and where the grid fleece is. The grid fleece is NOT the same as the Heavyweight hoody, it's a lighter grid fleece- about the same as the fleece panels on the new Evo.

Mine weighs 9.3 oz (Large)

I'd say roughly 60% of the jacket is 60 gram Alpha w/ a light outer fabric, the rest a lighter grid fleece

I think this jacket is going to breathe really well, but still providing some decent insulation. If the weather holds, should be getting in 3-4 days in this coming weekend for some high country mule deer.

Front

jw76eV1.jpg

Back

MyP4nMY.jpg
If you could only have one would you pick this or the regular ambient hoody?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you could only have one would you pick this or the regular ambient hoody?

I'll probably be likely better to answer this after this coming weekend :)

One of things I'd ask is if a person is going to be hunting more early season stuff or more later. I don't really see this jacket replacing the regular Ambient later in the season when the temps start to drop, but I could be wrong.

Braaap

WKR

One of things I'd ask is if a person is going to be hunting more early season stuff or more later. I don't really see this jacket replacing the regular Ambient later in the season when the temps start to drop, but I could be wrong.
I went ahead and ordered both today 😂

Interested to hear your comparisons between the two. I love my ambient and this new piece looks nice. I normally run warm so I’d consider swapping out my ambient entirely for one of these depending on how the reviews come in.

I just spent 25$ on the condor lv2 zip. Just for giggles and will see if there is a big difference between that and the ambient hoody.

jd1006

WKR
I just got one. Definitely designed to be next to skin. Marries perfectly with the EVO jacket. The grid fleece is different than most they use—reminds me of the helio hoody from SG. This is a whole different animal than the other ambient options. I think it would work good as a base layer for cold weather and layer the Ambient jacket as the mid layer. Really the only thing that comes close to this type of warmth for the weight is Kuiu’s peloton 97. The only thing missing on it is thumb loops. I have the other ambient options, this is much different…the Kelvin Active Shacket might be a close to similar, but not nearly as stream lined. I went with a medium (5’11, 180, short torso). Fits me like a base layer/mid layer. Similar to the other Sitka baselayers I have. I wear a large in sitka for outerwear.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back from my 3 day mule deer hunt (* no animals were hurt in the making of this trip :D). Covered over 30 tough miles in 3 days and got to wear the Ambient UL a fair bit. Temps ranged from low 30's to near 60. I was in my base layer the majority of miles, but in the morning & evenings I was wearing the UL as a mid-layer. I also broke it out glassing when I didn't need my puffy; if the wind was up I'd usually don the Evo, sometimes it was windy and cool and then base layer-Ambient UL- Evo.

I also brought a lighter bag and used the UL jacket to sleep in on top (Peloton 97 on the bottom)- makes a nice sleep layer too.

So far, so good w/ the UL.

Allen

FNG
I just got one. Definitely designed to be next to skin. Marries perfectly with the EVO jacket. The grid fleece is different than most they use—reminds me of the helio hoody from SG. This is a whole different animal than the other ambient options. I think it would work good as a base layer for cold weather and layer the Ambient jacket as the mid layer. Really the only thing that comes close to this type of warmth for the weight is Kuiu’s peloton 97. The only thing missing on it is thumb loops. I have the other ambient options, this is much different…the Kelvin Active Shacket might be a close to similar, but not nearly as stream lined. I went with a medium (5’11, 180, short torso). Fits me like a base layer/mid layer. Similar to the other Sitka baselayers I have. I wear a large in sitka for outerwear.
Awesome description. How quiet is it. Looking for a good option I can use out west as well as whitetail in the southeast.

Back from my 3 day mule deer hunt (* no animals were hurt in the making of this trip :D). Covered over 30 tough miles in 3 days and got to wear the Ambient UL a fair bit. Temps ranged from low 30's to near 60. I was in my base layer the majority of miles, but in the morning & evenings I was wearing the UL as a mid-layer. I also broke it out glassing when I didn't need my puffy; if the wind was up I'd usually don the Evo, sometimes it was windy and cool and then base layer-Ambient UL- Evo.

I also brought a lighter bag and used the UL jacket to sleep in on top (Peloton 97 on the bottom)- makes a nice sleep layer too.

So far, so good w/ the UL.

The thing holding me back is wondering about the sleeves. I'm 6'4 and have pretty long arms. XLs normally work for me but when I had ordered the Ambient Jacket in XL and had to return and re-order in XLT because the sleeves were not long enough for my long arms.
Wondering how these sleeves are.
ALSO having the ambient jacket and loving it. I wonder what would have more utility, this piece or the ambient HOODY

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say sleeves are pretty close to regular; if the Ambient in XL the sleeves were too short, I'm afraid they would be on the UL as well. It still might be worth trying and sending back if too short????

As far as utility vs the regular Ambient, probably depends on how much cool weather you hunt vs how much cold. Maybe also dependent if you tend to run hot or cool.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The thing holding me back is wondering about the sleeves. I'm 6'4 and have pretty long arms. XLs normally work for me but when I had ordered the Ambient Jacket in XL and had to return and re-order in XLT because the sleeves were not long enough for my long arms.
Wondering how these sleeves are.
ALSO having the ambient jacket and loving it. I wonder what would have more utility, this piece or the ambient HOODY
I found the UL's sleeves to be as short, if not slightly shorter, than the regular Ambient hoody

I found the UL's sleeves to be as short, if not slightly shorter, than the regular Ambient hoody
I Shouldn't be surprised you already had this Ambient UL considering how you love your ambient. Would you say the ambient hoody is a must? I do find the jacket can get hot on a hike in 20-30 degress.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I Shouldn't be surprised you already had this Ambient UL considering how you love your ambient. Would you say the ambient hoody is a must? I do find the jacket can get hot on a hike in 20-30 degress.
The Ambient Hoody is my favorite, most versatile, best performing, and downright comfortable mid-layer / active insulation piece I have used. Saying "must" is a stretch, since we could all live with something not as nice and still enjoying the mountains. I am not a fan of the Ambient (full zip) jacket, as I find it too warm for MY needs.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
One more data point- was hiking today temp at 15 degrees with a 10-ish mile an hour wind. Base layer + UL + Evo. I wouldn’t have wanted it any colder or any more wind.

With the regular Ambient it would have been fine.