Sitka Ambient UL 60 Hoody

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The Ambient Hoody is my favorite, most versatile, best performing, and downright comfortable mid-layer / active insulation piece I have used. Saying "must" is a stretch, since we could all live with something not as nice and still enjoying the mountains. I am not a fan of the Ambient (full zip) jacket, as I find it too warm for MY needs.
I haven’t used the full zip but pretty much echo this entirely. I hype the ambient to any friend that will listen. It performs a lot better than a nano air, etc for me being faced only on 1 side. I’m rough on it as it’s held up pretty dang well. Still not using grid fleece over using the ambient.

Allen

FNG
How quiet is the UL? Can you compare it to anything like the Jetstream or Kelvin Actuve?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
One more data point- was hiking today temp at 15 degrees with a 10-ish mile an hour wind. Base layer + UL + Evo. I wouldn’t have wanted it any colder or any more wind.

With the regular Ambient it would have been fine.

Yesterday was almost identical temp and wind; decided to wear the MDWi (basically the same thing as the regular Ambient) and as I figured, was much more comfortable and no wetting out either

Today was about 5 degrees warmer and 5-ish mph winds (vs 10 mph) and I wore the UL again (w/ the Evo)- much better.

I'm starting to get a pretty good feel where the limits are for me and which mid-layer gets the nod.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How quiet is the UL? Can you compare it to anything like the Jetstream or Kelvin Actuve?

I've only tried the Jetstream on at a store, but I think the UL is quieter. I have a Active hoody and would say the quietness is about the same, maybe an ever slight nod to the UL

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saturday & Sunday were both in the mid 20's- light to no wind (<5 mph) and wore the UL hiking over a base layer, no other outer layers and it was fine.

Once again Sitka has produced another garment in a limited size range, meaning no Small. For anyone looking for an Alpha Direct garment in a full size range, from XS-XL, here is an option. I have one coming and will update when it arrives.

Dynafit Free Alpha Direct from their Ski Touring line.

IMG_9816.jpegIMG_9817.jpeg

that's odd they start out w/ Medium???

Both Sitka and Kuiu have almost always done that since the beginning. They state there’s not enough demand in a size small and Kuiu even used to go as far as saying that they are an “inspirational brand”, meaning they would only make sizes and fits for the most perfect sized athletic body. What do they make sizes to now.. XXXL? Real inspirational guys. Guess that’s where the money is, with a bunch of overweight guys.
You even see sponsored guys like Adam Foss and Steven Drake wearing I’ll fitting, baggy, garments from Sitka because they don’t have a size that fits them.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Both Sitka and Kuiu have almost always done that since the beginning. They state there’s not enough demand in a size small and Kuiu even used to go as far as saying that they are an “inspirational brand”, meaning they would only make sizes and fits for the most perfect sized athletic body. What do they make sizes to now.. XXXL? Real inspirational guys. Guess that’s where the money is, with a bunch of overweight guys.
You even see sponsored guys like Adam Foss and Steven Drake wearing I’ll fitting, baggy, garments from Sitka because they don’t have a size that fits them.
LOVE this take. They kinda lost their way after Jason passed, in many ways. Absolutely think they chased $$ over “aspirational mountain hunting” like drove them early. Super depressing.

sr80

WKR
LOVE this take. They kinda lost their way after Jason passed, in many ways. Absolutely think they chased $$ over “aspirational mountain hunting” like drove them early. Super depressing.
absolutely, Jason mentioned several times they were not going to chase the waterfowl market because that's not who they were as a company etc..

The Ambient Hoody is my favorite, most versatile, best performing, and downright comfortable mid-layer / active insulation piece I have used. Saying "must" is a stretch, since we could all live with something not as nice and still enjoying the mountains. I am not a fan of the Ambient (full zip) jacket, as I find it too warm for MY needs.
Sitka dropped another Ambient hoody. They are calling it the ambient 100 jacket. To me it seems like its just the hoody with a full zip, Got any info on this @Mark at EXO

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Got mine today. Definitely "athletic" fit, I ordered a Large, but could have probably gone with an XL- 5'11" 180-ish. It's pretty close for me torso length wise.

I snapped a couple of pics inside out to show where the Alpha is and where the grid fleece is. The grid fleece is NOT the same as the Heavyweight hoody, it's a lighter grid fleece- about the same as the fleece panels on the new Evo.

Mine weighs 9.3 oz (Large)

I'd say roughly 60% of the jacket is 60 gram Alpha w/ a light outer fabric, the rest a lighter grid fleece

I think this jacket is going to breathe really well, but still providing some decent insulation. If the weather holds, should be getting in 3-4 days in this coming weekend for some high country mule deer.

Front

jw76eV1.jpg

Back

MyP4nMY.jpg
Would this work as a next to skin layer in cooler weather? Seems like it could, considering the grid fleece/alpha construction. Thanks. -Rufus

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would this work as a next to skin layer in cooler weather? Seems like it could, considering the grid fleece/alpha construction. Thanks. -Rufus

I think so; probably cold vs cool though. I use a medium grid fleece (Patagonia Thermal weight hoody) that is very similar in weight as a base layer in cold weather. I think this work as well, probably a hair warmer than the Patagonia piece w/ the addition of the Alpha Direct.

Alpha (or Evolve) against the skin shouldn't be problem it's a pretty soft hand- like a fuzzy sweater, but without the itch :)

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
I think so; probably cold vs cool though. I use a medium grid fleece (Patagonia Thermal weight hoody) that is very similar in weight as a base layer in cold weather. I think this work as well, probably a hair warmer than the Patagonia piece w/ the addition of the Alpha Direct.

Alpha (or Evolve) against the skin shouldn't be problem it's a pretty soft hand- like a fuzzy sweater, but without the itch :)
Thank you for the response. This sounds like an interesting piece. -Rufus

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Been in Kodiak this week and have used the Ambient UL every day. It can definitely be used next-to-skin in colder weather; I have also paired it with a Core LW base layer underneath.

Today started with a 2k vert pull in 28* temps and winds gusting 30+ mph. A LW Base, the Ambient UL, and Evo shell was a perfect combo.

Overall, I still think the standard Ambient is a piece that *most* people would prefer (instead of the UL), but the UL seems to be a great piece for when you are using it as a base or semi-permanent midlayer in cooler/colder conditions and when you may be layering on/off OVER the UL with a shell for precip/protection.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another data point- was wearing my Ambient UL yesterday hunting elk. Temp was 19 degrees and we had a long, steep hike right out of the gate. Had my base layer and the UL over it. It was a little chilly but once we started climbing it was nearly perfect. I started w/ a light fleece beanie and both hoods (Core lightweight & the UL) pulled on. As the climb progressed I shed one hood and then the next, finishing w/ just the beanie.

We had no wind on the climb up. As soon as we exited the timber up high, we had wind- I quickly donned the Evo jacket (and put back on both hoods) and I was golden.

Another data point- was wearing my Ambient UL yesterday hunting elk. Temp was 19 degrees and we had a long, steep hike right out of the gate. Had my base layer and the UL over it. It was a little chilly but once we started climbing it was nearly perfect. I started w/ a light fleece beanie and both hoods (Core lightweight & the UL) pulled on. As the climb progressed I shed one hood and then the next, finishing w/ just the beanie.

We had no wind on the climb up. As soon as we exited the timber up high, we had wind- I quickly donned the Evo jacket (and put back on both hoods) and I was golden.
@mtwarden If you had to chose between the new Sitka Ambient 100 Hoody and the Sitka Arrowhead MDWi and price was basically the same which one would you chose?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden If you had to chose between the new Sitka Ambient 100 Hoody and the Sitka Arrowhead MDWi and price was basically the same which one would you chose?

I think it's a toss up honestly. I couldn't tell any difference between Alpha Direct and Evolve. Now they both have the same feature set now- full zip, zipped pockets, etc.

Neither will disappoint IMHO.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Once again Sitka has produced another garment in a limited size range, meaning no Small. For anyone looking for an Alpha Direct garment in a full size range, from XS-XL, here is an option. I have one coming and will update when it arrives.

Dynafit Free Alpha Direct from their Ski Touring line.

View attachment 620202View attachment 620203

Makes me feel better about price I paid for my Ambient jacket (which is pretty nice so far). For what it's worth, I find it abhorrent the above company doesn't offer "tall" sizes.

Guess companies just have to pick their battles...