Sitka Blizzard/Coldfront pants

Anyone have experience with the Blizzard line? November usually find me sitting on a wind swept bluff here in MT watching the creek bottom for deer. It can get down right cold. Usually the winds are 10-20 and it's usually anywhere from 15-35 degrees. Really thinking about pants/bibs for now. I've got the Kelvin Lite pants but would like something to cut the wind. Maybe a pair of Coldfronts if I can find them? Or would the Blizzards be better?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
I have both. Two totally different pants. The Cold Fronts are pretty much just rain gear with a low knap fleece lining. The Blizzards are like a sleeping bag for your legs with a gore shell. The Blizzards aren't really packable, but if they are something you can use and not have to carry them far, I would go Blizzard all the way. I've wore my Blizzards on several hunts. I have yet to find the right time/place to use the Cold Fronts where rain gear over the top of my pants doesn't suffice. For your application, I would think either would work, (assuming you'd just use the Cold Front over the Kelvin) but my choice would be the Blizzard.

You're not gonna hike in the Blizzards, so if that is the case, the Coldfront might be a better option. The hunts I've used the Blizzards on, I've had transportation to my sit area. ie. horseback hunts, snow machine hunts etc.

OP
TradLife406
I have both. Two totally different pants. The Cold Fronts are pretty much just rain gear with a low knap fleece lining. The Blizzards are like a sleeping bag for your legs with a gore shell. The Blizzards aren't really packable, but if they are something you can use and not have to carry them far, I would go Blizzard all the way. I've wore my Blizzards on several hunts. I have yet to find the right time/place to use the Cold Fronts where rain gear over the top of my pants doesn't suffice. For your application, I would think either would work, (assuming you'd just use the Cold Front over the Kelvin) but my choice would be the Blizzard.
Yeah I'd use the Colds over my Kelvin Lites. But I think for the cold winds the Blizzards would probably be better. Usually I get within a quarter mile to half a mile before I start walking.

But with a lighter layer you can walk in the Blizzards a short ways?

Thanks!

Decker9

WKR
My newest piece is the blizzard parka, the thing is like wearing a comforter, by far my warmest piece of gear, It will be my “go to” outer layer for the trapline and winter goat hunts here in BC. It’s big, but I feel it will cover any weather that comes it’s way. Now that Iv used the parka, the bottoms are a must (really really want). The pocket layout is great also, an added bonus.

It is a bit loud tho I must admit, for sitting it would be great, but for stalking deer, it may be a bit noisy.

Kotaman

WKR
Yeah I'd use the Colds over my Kelvin Lites. But I think for the cold winds the Blizzards would probably be better. Usually I get within a quarter mile to half a mile before I start walking.

But with a lighter layer you can walk in the Blizzards a short ways?

Thanks!

Sure, you could walk a short distance in them with the zippers open. Doesn't take long to heat up in these things hiking though!

OP
TradLife406
My newest piece is the blizzard parka, the thing is like wearing a comforter, by far my warmest piece of gear, It will be my “go to” outer layer for the trapline and winter goat hunts here in BC. It’s big, but I feel it will cover any weather that comes it’s way. Now that Iv used the parka, the bottoms are a must (really really want). The pocket layout is great also, an added bonus.

It is a bit loud tho I must admit, for sitting it would be great, but for stalking deer, it may be a bit noisy.
That's good to know! I've got a Kifaru Parka and a Jetstream I can make work for the upper part for now.

Private land deer hunting is "easy" until it's cold and you don't have fancy tower stands or really a good place to even use them.

OP
TradLife406
Sure, you could walk a short distance in them with the zippers open. Doesn't take long to heat up in these things hiking though!
Then maybe for hiking I'd be better off with the Colds then when I stop slip my Kelvin Lites on under them for sitting?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Then maybe for hiking I'd be better off with the Colds then when I stop slip my Kelvin Lites on under them for sitting?

If you're gonna do that just use whatever rain gear pants you already have. No need to buy the ColdFronts. They aren't insulated, that lining does nothing more than keep the shell from sticking to you if you get sweaty for the most part. I'd strap the blizzards to my pack, hike in, put them on, and enjoy myself if I were you. They're on my radar for snowmobile and trapline use myself. Those or the Incinerators which are essentially the same just with a different camo pattern.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
If you're gonna do that just use whatever rain gear pants you already have. No need to buy the ColdFronts. They aren't insulated, that lining does nothing more than keep the shell from sticking to you if you get sweaty for the most part. I'd strap the blizzards to my pack, hike in, put them on, and enjoy myself if I were you. They're on my radar for snowmobile and trapline use myself. Those or the Incinerators which are essentially the same just with a different camo pattern.

Yes, this was my point on the Cold Fronts before as well. They won't do anything your regular rain gear won't do. The low knap fleece adds some comfort and that's it.

I have the Incinerators as well. They aren't exactly like the Blizzards but similar in that they are down. While the Blizzards are more of a high pant and don't have the brushed exterior, the Incinerator is a full bib with a brushed exterior. It is a little more quiet, but will absorb moisture a little faster as well.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, I was gonna add that the Incinerators are more for the treestand crowd with the brushed face. It's just painful the price that any of these things are nowadays. But, that blizzard gear is like a survival suit, so you can justify the price by pulling double duty if needed lol.

Bdouble

FNG
Has anyone tried the Fanatic line? I know we're not comparing apples here, but WI gets damn cold. A few hunting pals have the fanatic jackets and bibs/pants. They love them. Warm and quiet. Not sure how they'd work on a hike and stalk approach. But great for still hunting. One of my friends took his system on a late season elk hunt in CO and said they worked great.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Fanatics are awesome, when it's cold enough for them. That fleece face will wet out though depending on weather. They are the ultimate late season treestand combo though. I've used the Stratus set out here in Idaho late season, doesn't wet out as quick, and you have more flexibility for layering up or down while you're moving. For sitting? Fanatics. Moving around? Stratus. I've been in some 40mph wind and blowing snow in my Stratus stuff, can't say enough good about that setup.

PA Hunter

WKR
I have the blizzard parka and pants within 5 minutes of wearing it for the first time on a horseback hunt I took a broken branch to the chest in the dark in Wyoming put a nice hole in my $700 parka. Oh well I do like it for cold weather but your not backpacking them or hiking far in them but boy are they warm and wind proof.

i have a set of large blizzard pants I’d be willing to part with. In Kamloops.