Sitka Core Lightweight Hoodie vs.......

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
I love my core lightweight hoodies so much I have 4 of them. But man they really suck for durability. Even velcro will shred the fabric if it rubs against it. They are destroyed usually after 2 or 3 years. I wear them for hot weather hunting in the mountains. Any better options out there? I really don't need the facemask. I feel like I can only use them as baselayers at this point.

The kuiu gila fabric is decent for the the price but I think they raised the price. The hood is a little balloney if going into a headwind so I will put it under my hat. Extended scent control is subjective I mostly just use them for day hunts

wnelson14

WKR
I just ordered the new Marsupial sun shirt, looks decent, Outdoor research has one, Kuhl has one that I like, pretty much every outdoor company has some sort of lightweight performance shirt with a hood.

Bump79

WKR
I can't speak for durability yet - but I just got a Thelte lightweight hoodie and I'm loving it. Got it for $60 last week.

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I love my core lightweight hoodies so much I have 4 of them. But man they really suck for durability. Even velcro will shred the fabric if it rubs against it. They are destroyed usually after 2 or 3 years. I wear them for hot weather hunting in the mountains. Any better options out there? I really don't need the facemask. I feel like I can only use them as baselayers at this point.
2-3 years is poor durability? I can't think of any piece of clothing that functions the same that would last any longer.

The real question for me is what manages odor as long? I have only found one non-merino shirt that can go several days without smelling and that is the Patagonia Capilene. However, they started using something other than Polygiene so don’t know if current stuff is as good.

The original capilene also dries faster than literally any piece of clothing I own.

I grabbed Kuiu light merino hoodie 120

Durable and great stink protection. But I think the Sitka breathes a touch better when it’s H O T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
I've been a big fan of the Kuiu 145 merino hoodie. On the third season with it and it's starting the downhill slide. I'll buy another

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
The kings xkg elevation hoodie is a pretty solid choice for a cheaper but very comparable option. I’ve been happy with mine. I do think anything this lightweight is probably going to struggle with durability. That thin of material is going to wear no matter the make up. Now if stitching and things of that nature were failing I’d be upset given the premium price of Sitka.

The kings xkg elevation hoodie is a pretty solid choice for a cheaper but very comparable option. I’ve been happy with mine. I do think anything this lightweight is probably going to struggle with durability. That thin of material is going to wear no matter the make up. Now if stitching and things of that nature were failing I’d be upset given the premium price of Sitka.
Assuming the hoodie is the same material as the zip T, it seems to be a tad heavier duty/thicker than Core Lightweight material. That doesn’t guarantee durability but my guess is it will hold up better. I don’t think it’s polygiene treatment is as effective as Sitka’s though. It is still good, just not as good.

Bump79

WKR
Also - The Black Ovis Realm hoodie is awesome, I forgot to mention that before. Super light and breathable. Their 150 merino series is awesome too. I can't seem to justify the price add over these super nice budget pieces they offer.

sr80

WKR
i find the the SG avro or enduro which it used to be called a bit warmer and less breathable as the core light. But i still reallly like the SG avro hoody a lot. Just not for really warm weather.

Tahoe1305

WKR
It’s merino so a bit warmer, but I really like my FL wick hoody. It will get torn up a bit too but I feel a bit better than Sitka lightweight.

Also I think it is a better layering option. By itself it’s actually a tad warm when it’s cooler (50-60deg) but when it’s 80 it still feels cool.

OP
RADunfee

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll check out the Avro as an SG fan. Like some said that core lightweight hoodie is just incredible. I longbow bear hunted in the north GA mountains in it for 3 days straight over the weekend and it's so perfect. And dries super fast! I just get a ton of snags crawling through laurel thickets and other stuff. In the end I guess it's a trade off.

i find the the SG avro or enduro which it used to be called a bit warmer and less breathable as the core light. But i still reallly like the SG avro hoody a lot. Just not for really warm weather.
I agree. It's slighrly thicker than the core lightweight and kuiu gila. I sold mine. Wouldn't be my first choice for 80+