Sitka Core Lightweight Hoodie vs.......

Jon_G

WKR
I was hoping to find a replacement for that Sitka lightweight on this thread. Didn't make it through one day's worth and not even on a hunt I went backpacking in it. Didn't get it caught on anything I'm not sure how it got destroyed so badly. I wrote a whole post on it. Will never be purchasing it again. I hope the SG merino hoody isn't substantially hotter because I'm going to try it next time.

I was hoping to find a replacement for that Sitka lightweight on this thread. Didn't make it through one day's worth and not even on a hunt I went backpacking in it. Didn't get it caught on anything I'm not sure how it got destroyed so badly. I wrote a whole post on it. Will never be purchasing it again. I hope the SG merino hoody isn't substantially hotter because I'm going to try it next time.
I’ve had the same two shirts that have survive two weeks of Colorado elk hunting—including some brush busting, multiple backpacking trips, and I’m not even sure how many training hikes that were half off trail.

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
Love the Sitka CLH, for breathability and its ability to dry quickly, I have not found a similar item that come close on those features. For temps 50-90 deg F, it's always on me. Currently have multiple others that have been mentioned, the FL wick, Kuiu Gila, few other fly fishing branded solids I've tried and the Sitka reigns supreme. The durability isn't terrible, they all seem to get snags. I don't know what issues @Jon_G had, but I just bought another CLH because they work so well. Wear mine probably ~30-50 days/year between training/hiking/hunting beating brush and setting stands, they take a beating but I've never had more than a snag from barbed wire or oak brush, no holes, etc. The velcro catches are annoying, but such is life.

Will be monitoring for other options.

sr80

WKR
I gila gets a lot of hyper so i bought one of those to try next week chasing mulies, but ill also be bringing my trusty core light hoody. Sometimes ive layered two core light hoodies one backpack trips when needing a tad extra warmth when moving fast or hiking in. Ive been trying the equinox gaurd hoody this summer as well. Not sure on it, its fits bigger than i would like in the same size large i wear, and the material is realllly slick, so once sweaty i find my pack slips on me.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Forloh Insectshield SolAir hoodie. I sold all of my LW Core Hoodies because I was worried about durability. Plus the Forloh hoody feels cooler to me in hot weather I’ve been wearing it all summer and early season dove and teal so far. Doesn’t have the features like the face mask or the chest pocket but I never utilized those anyways

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've actually be extremely pleased with the durability of the Core LW. Sure, it can get some snags and small thread-pulls on the surface, but I have never gotten any holes or rips in mine, including going through a lot of brush-busting. I am sure it can happen, but I think that is true of any lightweight hoody.

I just wore a well-used Core LW on all days of a 10 Day sheep hunt and it performed phenomenally well. Not a Sitka fanboy, but I have tried a lot of lightweight hoodies (merino and synthetic, from hunting and non-hunting brands), and the Core LW is my favorite by far.

Yeah I have had my core lt wt for 3 years and yes it has some thread pulls, but no rips or holes and i've busted some brush with it. I actually think its the most durable base layer i've used. I'll be buying more.

schmalzy

WKR
SG synthetic and OR Astroman are my favorites having tried a few of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
I was a merino fanboy until I tried the core lw. Dries fast, feels good next to skin, and is durable. I might add, the only pieces of Sitka I own are core lightweight hoodies and the ambient hoody.
Tired of merino staying wet.

I own a Core LW Hoody, an Ambient Hoody and the Mountain Evo Jacket. These pieces are all unbeatable to me and nothing else in the market really compares. My Core LW’s are full of runs and pulled threads but they work just the same.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wear the crap out of the two that I own (4-ish years now)- summer though winter. Are they now suitable for a sit-down dinner at a fancy restaurant- not even close :D

Do they still perform despite all the blemishes-small holes, runs, pitch stains, etc? Yup, they do.

Someone mentioned the OR Echo; for very warm weather the Echo is a better choice imho- simply lighter fabric (still a micro grid), but definitely less durable and no zip

sr80

WKR
ill echo what others have said about the CLH, i find it very durable for what it is. It does get some pulls in the thread but its so stretchy when it snags on a branch is just stretches and lets go. Plus it has a zipper on the front, more companies need to incorporate the front zipper on their lightweight hoodies in my opinion

The Sitka 120 merino hoody breathes almost as well as the CLH, but it is thin - noticeably thinner than the kuiu 120 line. I wore it for 4 out of 7 days in Colorado and it held up, but I wasn’t busting brush or thorns like I will here in LA.

Last edited: