Sitka Gear for NM Elk Hunt

jvolk

FNG
We recently booked a first week rifle elk hunt for 16C in New Mexico for 2021. I have an opportunity to purchase some Sitka gear at a great price. What pattern would be best for NM in mid-October? I was thinking the sub-alpine. Based on the temps I am seeing for this year, it looks to get warm during the days. Is that normal? If so, I am looking at the mountain pants and maybe a heavyweight hoody for mornings. Any advice would be appreciated

I wouldnt worry about wearing camo for rifle. You could get away with having a mix of solids and camo. That way you can wear the solids around town after season. I typically wear the heavyweight hoody, jetstream vest (subalpine) and the kelvin lite puffy or Jetstream and mountain pant.

I hunt burn areas in Colorado so it should look somewhat similar.

A group of us went to NM 2 years ago for muzzleloader season... dress in layers is my best advice. I'm from Michigan and used to hunting in a tree stand - definitely started the trip with too many clothes for hiking (6-12 miles a day).

In the morning we would be bundled up to glass, middle of the day we would be down to short sleeve shirts / light pants.