Sitka Gun Sling Vs. Kifaru Gun Bearer

Decker9

WKR
The gun bearer can be a handy thing, in certain places. It’s nice to have the rifle ready in a seconds notice. It certainly does have some big draw backs for me tho.

I can’t stand the shoulder strap attachment, after a couple long days, it causes me a lame neck and shoulder on my carry side, it also makes for a pain to adjust that side shoulder strap.
When climbing through steep country that requires 2 hands, a slap in the face from a swinging barrel kinda sucks. I would be a bit nervous with someone climbing behind me that was using one as well, ime, the rifle barrel points at your partner if he is directly in front of you. When descending down steep country, the rifle butt likes to hang up and throw a guy off balance as well, something to be aware of, because once it happens, it’s to late and your already head over heals down the mountain.

I use the butt carrier, but slide my barrel through the top side compression strap on my packs, it saves me the lame shoulder and is still pretty quick to draw my rifle. For short hunts, the shoulder strap attachment is, ok. If I am descending steep country, my rifle is in my hands.
Just my experience over the years.

I love my Kifaru Gun bearer personally. There is a bit of a learning curve with it starting out an getting used to it being there.
After a few miles or a few hours carrying it you're golden an you'll be loving it, specially if you're hunting thicker areas where ya are duckin through trees an brush. Nice not having the barrel smack every branch as ya wall through.
Only issue I've had with it is the gun likes to "twist" on me some, which is prolly just user error an I dont have it adjusted 100% lol

wseidel

WKR
For those interested in saving a few dollars and having a custom fit, I purchased the upper clasp attachment from Kifaru (approximately $6 each - purchased four to amortize shipping) and hand-sewed the rifle butt carrier. I used left-over but brand new deer stand safety harnesses that I cut to length. These worked well as they are strong and reasonably lightweight. I use a medium/large sewing needle, monofilament fishing line and a small block of wood to help push the needle through, when necessary. This project allows me the "tried and true" functioning of the upper clasp along with making the butt stock carrier just the right size for my build (and rifles). I sew a loop on the butt stock portion to go around the pack waist belt and then use paracord to adjust the angle when attaching to the base of my backpack. So far I have made three - one for each of my two packs and another one as a gift for a friend. Most importantly they work well. Hope this helps...

Attachments

• 20190415_105312[1].jpg
    20190415_105312[1].jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20190415_104703[1].jpg
    20190415_104703[1].jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 78

jfittro

FNG
I had the same question. Appreciate all the information and help. I’ve seen the kifaru bearer in action, it was handy. But as I was scrolling through sitkas website I came across their gun sling. Was wondering if it any good. Sounds like kifaru is the majority vote.