Sitka Gun Sling Vs. Kifaru Gun Bearer

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have thoughts on the sitka gun sling vs. the kifaru gun bearer? They seem pretty similar. I didn't know Sitka even made one until I was poking around on the internets. I've heard good things about the gun bearer but haven't used either.

Would love to hear any thoughts from people who have owned one or both.

Thanks!

Perrin713

FNG
I just received my Gun Bearer yesterday along with my new Kifaru pack. Believe the Gun Bearer is only compatible with Kifaru packs? Definitely will take some getting used too. Went for a mile walk last night with my rifle installed in the bearer. Not too sure how I feel about it yet because I’ve always been a sling guy.

KyleR1985

WKR
The gun bearer is awesome. Used mine for a week, next to a buddy used a sling or on his pack. I let him use one day and he ordered one.

Kifaru makes a universal one. And if you have access to a sewing machine or a friend who sews, you can make your own for about 10 bucks in materials and an hour

Reactions: FYT

ChrisAU

WKR
I prefer the Kuiu/Stone Glacier style with an attachment on each side rather than just 1 in the middle. Helps keep the rifle from twisting. I run a Kuiu Lower and a Kifaru Gun Bearer upper on my packs.

manitou1

WKR
The gun bearer is really handy. I always worry about the clip opening and dumping my expensive gun to the ground... which is pretty rocky a lot of places I hunt. I have never heard of it happening though. It is nice not to have a gun sliding off your shoulder while glassing and to have my hands free when climbing or using trekking poles is great. I also like that the barrel is in front of me at about eye level where I can always be aware of where it is pointing.

Shrek

WKR
I’ve used the Kifaru gun bearer for years now and it really works well for me. First year I used one I jumped a moose at twenty yards. I had the rifle on him before he was fully standing. Hands are free to use trekking poles and I can see the muzzle which allows me to keep it from hanging on brush. I’ve never used the Sitka.

huntcoop

WKR
I prefer the Kuiu/Stone Glacier style with an attachment on each side rather than just 1 in the middle. Helps keep the rifle from twisting. I run a Kuiu Lower and a Kifaru Gun Bearer upper on my packs.

What pack are you running that hybrid bearer on? If it’s a SG pack I’d love to see how you attached the Kuiu lower piece.

I run a gun bearer. Not sure on the sitka. All I say is i was skeptical about not having a sling. So was my hunting buds. However, after two seasons of use, I have zero intent on ever fighting a sling on a rifle when wearing my meat hauling day packs, ever again. And, have zero intentions to use any other brand gun carrier.

OP
FYT

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
Really appreciate all the replies and insight everyone. Gun bearer on order- just hoping it gets here in time!

Gunbearer for my bow or the occasion I had a backup rifle or shotgun along when packing meat out.

FWIW I have only had the sitka, and I hate it. My rifle twists in the sling constantly and makes the hands free that I thought I was getting into a hands on. I have tried it in several configurations and no luck.

Kifaru Gun Bearer for me. The bonus for me is the ability to slip a cam in the pocket and use it during archery season as well.

Johnny B, do you think you could post a picture of you carrying your bow with this gun bearer setup?

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
You will be happy with the Gun Bearer. I was unsure I would like it as I have been a sling guy since I started hunting. I even kept my sling on my rifle the first day I used it just in case I hated it. The sling came off after about a quarter mile of walking hands free with the gun in the bearer. I am a big fan as were the guys I was hunting with that had never seen anything like it before.