Sitka Jacket temp ratings and sizes

mcimes

Lil-Rokslider
Im stocking up on a couple jackets for this fall/winter and found some good deals on various Sitka jackets. Im looking for probably 2 jackets (lighter and heavier) + a rain coat. Im wondering 2 things -

First, Im 6'1, 185lbs, 42" chest. This puts me at the lower end of size Large, but many reviews i read say the forearms are so tight you cant layer. I also have larger forearms from kayaking a lot.
Im looking at the Downpour jacket.
1. Do I need an XL for forearm?
2. If I go a size larger, do you find the body baggy? I am athletic and most clothes are cut for a beer belly, which I dont have. I dont want a lot of extra fabric because my area has lots of sharp/spikey plants I'd like to avoid being caught on. Will I find the forearm on a large tight? I hate this feel.

As for warmth, im looking for a jacket that comfortable at a moderate hiking pace in 50-60ish weather, and another one that's warmer for sitting around in 45-55 temps with some wind. Sitka doesnt do the best at organizing their jackets by warmth (except for the price i guess), but can you guys recommend what has worked for you in similar conditions? the light/medium/heavy dont mean much to me yet because i've just started buying Sitka gear.

Thanks!

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You should be just fine in a large! The XL would more than likely be super baggy. What type of hunting are you doing? The Downpour Jacket is specailized for whitetail hunting. It is not the best option if you plan on hiking and busting brush.

Welcome, and same question as above. What kind of hunting and where. Sitka whitetail line is top notch but really shines in stand hunting IMO. I use a lot of subalpine but hunt almost exclusively on the ground.

I like the Jetstream. Very versatile soft shell that is great between 45 and 60, colder with some layers. Stratus is basically the same thing for the whitetail lone. Core heavyweight hoody is a thin fleece that I use a lot. For more insulation, the kelvin light hoody is hard to beat.

downpour is a good rain jacket. Should cover you well unless you are in a really, really wet environment like the PNW.

j_volt

WKR
I run a Mountain Jacket and a Kelvin light hoodie in open country. The mountain jacket is great for cutting the wind, but has no insulation. The Kelvin light hoodie has insulation and is great for cold weather. The hoodie is very warm and both pack very well. With a heavy Cabela’s base layer, I can run this combo well below 30° while hiking and glassing.

406unltd

WKR
I’m 6’ 200# 30.5” draw and I’m a large in heavyweight hoody and a xlt in kelvin lite hoody cause the xl sleeve was too short and torso seemed too short as well. Xlt sleeve/ torso is a hair long but I like that better than short.