Sitka Jetstream vs Puffy?

Well I have always carried a puffy while Sept elk hunting. It has served me well but have been thinking.

Would a jacket like the Sitka Jetstream serve me better? Seems the weight is comparable. Thinking it is more durable, wind proof and water resistant. Maybe with the Jetstream, even though not water proof, I could leave the rain jacket at the truck. Will it provide enough rain protection for lite rains and thunder storms?

Open to any thought you may have,

You could definitely get away with the jet stream with light spotty rain. I’d keep your rain gear in your pack though in case it decides to get nasty. I wear my puffy then put my jet stream over it. Pretty good combo. I always pack all 3 chasing elk in September. Never know in Idaho ha

OP
E
You could definitely get away with the jet stream with light spotty rain. I’d keep your rain gear in your pack though in case it decides to get nasty. I wear my puffy then put my jet stream over it. Pretty good combo. I always pack all 3 chasing elk in September. Never know in Idaho ha

Thanks for the reasoning. I was trying to be lazy. However, I know elk hunting is not a place to be lazy. Oh to be young again. Haha

Haha. I’ve been elk hunting in central Idaho most my life and you definitely can bet on getting snowed and rained on. Just gonna happen ha. I’d rather pack the little extra weight and be able to hunt still than have to call it a day because I’m froze down

Sturgeon

WKR
Day hunting I like running my Kuiu guide jacket and don’t bring my puffy/rain jacket. If you got a good idea what the weather is for the day go for it.

Shotshill

FNG
Barely water resistant, BWR.. The JS is a great jacket but do not sacrifice safety in the form
Of a true rain cover... Wet= cold and an issue if the body does the same. Good luck on the hunt!

Brendan

WKR
Jetstream is a completely different jacket / usage than a puffy. I always carry some form of puffy or insulation, just different weights by season.

You might be able to leave the rain jacket in the truck and bring the Jetstream instead, but it depends on the weather, and if you're day hunting or packing in for a week. If I'm packing in, I always leave the jetstream and bring a waterproof rain shell and a puffy instead, and generally wear the Jetstream on day hunt scenarios where rain isn't in the forecast.

cmc934

FNG
^^^^^I agree with the comment above^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I picked up a Jetstream and will be adding it to my gear but seems it will not be replacing anything. Will probably use it more on my late season hunts that I dont backpack in.

tracker12

WKR
Jetstream jacket and Kuiu super down vest has served me well on all my Western Sep hunts. I know it rains but I can not remember the last time I used a Rain Jacket. The light rain I ave encountered was taken care of by the Jetstream.