Sitka Kelvin Active Hoody...Info

Kostrize

WKR
This thread made me research the Rab Alpha Direct products. If you’re looking for jackets with this insulation and a nylon face, the Alpha Flux has slightly more insulation for $90 cheaper and a 1.5 oz. weight penalty(but it has sleeves). The Alpha Direct is a warmer, heavier duty option too

Just some good options for those of us looking for solid colors in a comparatively lighter package. Thanks for providing the direction

Last edited:

dony

FNG
I don't have the Kelvin Active hoody yet, but have used the OR Ascendant hoody (also uses exposed PolarTech Alpha just like the Kelvin Hoody) with a 125g/m2 wool baselayer and been fine down to very, very cold temperatures, and the combo has handled my excessive sweating extremely quickly, whereas other softshells I have used have frozen up inside from sweat. In my experience winter camping I have not worn a better combo. The thin wool shirt is a good baselayer because its light weight allows it to dry quicker than thick wool. Then, the direct contact with the Polartech alpha causes rapid moisture movement outwards, and the outer face built into the Alpha piece acts as a windshirt. When the temps really drop I simply put a synthetic vest then puffy jacket over the two and am fine to ice fish in -30F. For active use I think it is hard to beat the quick drying performance of Alpha products. If you are familiar with the ECWCS clothing system the Alpha pieces essentially replace levels 2 (grid fleece), 3 (furry fleece), and 4 (windshirt). Sitka knows that the Active Hoody is designed to be used with the Apex shirt, which uses wool on the inside with a synthetic outer. Pull a windshirt or puffy over the combo and I think it would be all you need through the entire late season.