Sitka Kelvin Aerolite or Sitka Ambient for Mid layer

Just thinking ahead for the possibility "if" the weather gets really cold. Would you recommend a Kelvin Aerolite or Ambient jacket for mid layer under my Sitka Blizzard jacket? Both are priced the same.

OP
L
OK, so no one has replied. Does anyone have the Ambient that they can comment/compare it to the other Stika offerings? I know it's a relatively new piece.

coleman

Lil-Rokslider
These are completely different pieces. The ambient is active insulation, designed to breath very well when moving. The aerolite is a static insulation. If you are looking for just something for the cold the aerolite will be a better cold weather piece.

I have some kelvin pieces and just bought something from the ambient line. I haven’t had the weather to try out the ambient yet. FWIW lots of folks saying the ambient stuff is more a substitute for active mid layer insulation like a grid fleece. I like grid fleece a lot - Patagonia R1, first lite and core heavy weight. Too soon for me to tell If the ambient will win me over. It’s a cool idea and I am hoping I like it more than my old kelvin active jacket. It is light weight and compressible. I wonder if it will keep its loft as a mid layer.

call me biased, but if I were looking more general insulation piece, I would go kelvin aerolite. You’re only talking about 3-4 oz of weight savings With the ambient.