SITKA Mountain EVO jacket, Review **Updated 9/20/23**

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Last edited by a moderator:

DRCC

FNG
Thanks for doing this review. I am looking at pairing this with my ambient jacket for early to mid-season hunting in Colorado. My biggest question is that when sitting down to glass without my pack on do you feel that you would get significantly cold in the wind from not having the windstopper on the back panel or does the piece still provide adequate comfort?

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Thanks for doing this review. I am looking at pairing this with my ambient jacket for early to mid-season hunting in Colorado. My biggest question is that when sitting down to glass without my pack on do you feel that you would get significantly cold in the wind from not having the windstopper on the back panel or does the piece still provide adequate comfort?
The EVO pairs very well with the Ambient series. Personally I prefer the Ambient Hoody over the Jacket due to it having a hood and being a little thinner. I like the Ambient Hoody and a thin puffy like the Aerolite for what I do. The EVO does let air move through on the back so if the wind is whipping from behind you while glassing, I would throw on the puffy. It is an active layer.
How does the compare to the Jetstream and OG Mountain jacket?
The EVO is the evolution of the Mountain Jacket. It is very similar in feel and thickness but has a different cut/fit and of course it finally has a hood and a breathable back. The EVO is much thinner and lighter than the Jetstream, it has no lining on the inside.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Tony, it would be helpful to comment on the noise factor as I think that's something most people need to understand with the Evo. Did you experience any lesser noise over time from either/or wear and washing?

I replied to a thread the other day where someone asked. I find mine to be a bit noisy for close-in wear for archery, but it would be a non-factor with a rifle if the animal is outside 50 yards or so. I think with more wearing the jacket and a wash or two it will quiet down. I have a couple pair of Territory pants and they were similar, still a definite sound with them but nothing like it was when they were new out of the bag. The more they wear the quieter I think they've become.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Tony, it would be helpful to comment on the noise factor as I think that's something most people need to understand with the Evo. Did you experience any lesser noise over time from either/or wear and washing?

I replied to a thread the other day where someone asked. I find mine to be a bit noisy for close-in wear for archery, but it would be a non-factor with a rifle if the animal is outside 50 yards or so. I think with more wearing the jacket and a wash or two it will quiet down. I have a couple pair of Territory pants and they were similar, still a definite sound with them but nothing like it was when they were new out of the bag. The more they wear the quieter I think they've become.
It's not a fleece stalking layer but it's not super loud either. I have heard jackets with WIndstopper in them that were much louder. I would put it equal to the Mountain Jacket for noise.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice review Sir! Sounds very promising :)

I've just received one and am attempting to find the right fit. I got a Large Tall and it fits pretty close over a base layer; the length is perfect but maybe just a wee tight in the shoulders. I'm going to try on a XL Tall and see how that fits.

I'm thinking it might be nice to layer over a mid-layer, it would pretty tight (possibly too tight) doing that with the Large.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice review Sir! Sounds very promising :)

I've just received one and am attempting to find the right fit. I got a Large Tall and it fits pretty close over a base layer; the length is perfect but maybe just a wee tight in the shoulders. I'm going to try on a XL Tall and see how that fits.

I'm thinking it might be nice to layer over a mid-layer, it would pretty tight (possibly too tight) doing that with the Large.

OK- just got back from my local Sportsman- tried an XL Tall- sleeves too long, but better in the shoulders. Tried a regular XL and that fit is better, still long enough, but shoulders fit better and should have room for a mid-layer underneath.

Going to make an exchange :)

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
OK- just got back from my local Sportsman- tried an XL Tall- sleeves too long, but better in the shoulders. Tried a regular XL and that fit is better, still long enough, but shoulders fit better and should have room for a mid-layer underneath.

Glad you got the right size!
I have longer arms than most humans my height and the large regular length fits me like it was custom made for me. I'm 5'11" 185lb with a 6'2" wingspan

MT_Wyatt

WKR

One of my questions about this piece was how it would layer with grid fleece or that ambient hoody underneath. Barklow talked about using it both under and over active insulation. The ambients seem to be cut more reasonably but sounds like Sitka is still super trimming certain pieces…..it always annoys me sizing up like that, but it probably shouldn’t. This layer seems like a pretty awesome idea.

carter33

WKR
One of my questions about this piece was how it would layer with grid fleece or that ambient hoody underneath. Barklow talked about using it both under and over active insulation. The ambients seem to be cut more reasonably but sounds like Sitka is still super trimming certain pieces…..it always annoys me sizing up like that, but it probably shouldn’t. This layer seems like a pretty awesome idea.
I wear large in most upper body pieces and that is what I ordered the mt evo in. It is more of a form fitting athletic fit, I can fit the ambient underneath relatively comfortably but it does squish it down some. I plan on mostly wearing this just over my base layer hiking and also think it will be great busting brush and alders as it seems extremely durable. I will likely throw the ambient on over it if it is not raining for warmth when static. Plus I will have rain gear anyways where I hunt. Tomore directly answer the question I think it is on the trimmer side.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
^^^ Carter, I found that the Large-Tall was a better underarm fit with the Ambient under it, otherwise it was tight and compressed and no way I would be comfortable in a Large for that long. While the sleeve length is a bit much without the Ambient under it, it's a fair trade off when the XL was far to loose. I like the athletic cut in most every layer but then you end up playing games with up-sizing at times. The best thing a guy can do is find them on the rack somewhere and mix and match sizes of layers to get the right fit for their body.

What are your specs again? I'm 6'2 215 to 220- thinking xl?

5'11" 180-ish; you might be better off with a XL Tall or possibly XXL?
Thank you! I'm so torn on this piece. I want a windproof layer for fall and spring running and biking that could cross over as a 2nd layer for elk and mule deer. I see sitka had the black on sale for 230 so I'm conflicted.

What are your thoughts on the evo vs a vest ?

I'm thinking either ambient and evo or ambient and jetstream vest for a 3rd week of Sept archery elk hunt this year.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
It might be coming later, but I’d be interested in your thoughts on this piece post sheep hunt. Mostly using over a base layer?

I'll have a full review forthcoming; I wore it every day for 11 days. Over a base layer mostly, couple of occasions over a base and mid-layer.

Thank you! I'm so torn on this piece. I want a windproof layer for fall and spring running and biking that could cross over as a 2nd layer for elk and mule deer. I see sitka had the black on sale for 230 so I'm conflicted.

What are your thoughts on the evo vs a vest ?

I'm thinking either ambient and evo or ambient and jetstream vest for a 3rd week of Sept archery elk hunt this year.

I like a jacket vs a vest for a wind/light precip layer- just way more coverage vs a vest. For very high aerobic output (ie running) you might be better served w/ a vest though.

I'll have a full review forthcoming; I wore it every day for 11 days. Over a base layer mostly, couple of occasions over a base and mid-layer.

I like a jacket vs a vest for a wind/light precip layer- just way more coverage vs a vest. For very high aerobic output (ie running) you might be better served w/ a vest though.
Yes! I can't wait to see your review!
I'm looking hard at the evo vs a BD alpine start as an intermediate layer for those cold and windy but high activity mornings going up hill. You've got me sold on a windshirt being a necessity and since I already have a jetstream vest that I can use for waterfowl and whitetail but I don't have a windshirt that is breathable. I'd wear my rain gear but it's expensive and I need it to work when I need it.