Sitka Thunderhead Jacket versus the Jetstream Jacket anyone seen it yet?

excaliber

WKR
I'm looking at this new Jacket and am trying to get some info on how quiet it is compared to the Jetstream Jacket? I'm looking for a jacket for sitting and glassing in windy cold weather.

I can't tell from the pictures but it's said to have a fleece backer not the grid mapped fleece like the Jetstream. It looks/sounds like a lined rain shell from what I can tell. Both jackets weigh the same. I wonder which one is warmer?

I wont be hiking in either of these jackets as they will go into the pack while moving unless the conditions warrant wearing them.

Has anyone here seen this jacket yet?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The Thunderhead is rain gear. It is a couple layers of GoreTex with a knappy outer layer. The Jetstram is a soft shell with a windstopper lining. It isn't waterproof but it will be "warmer" and cut the wind.

For just sitting, the Thunderhead and a Kelvin vest would be more versatile.

I had my hands on both tonight at a banquet. Think of the thunderhead as the downpour from the whitetail line on the outside and it was pretty much the standard gore Tex Sitka jacket backer on the inside. Sub alpine looks really good In person though. Once the jet stream breaks in I'm not sure which outer material will be quieter. If I had to pick I would say thunderhead on the outside but if the goretex backer is rubbing on anything that could make noise then the jet stream will be quieter. Jet stream will be warmer no question.

I've really liked my timberline more than my jetstream. I carry the timberline and a puffy and it handles all the wind and cold conditions I can think of. The timberline is light and packs well too.