Sitka Timberline or Kuiu Talus Hybrid

Fowlman

FNG
I already know that I will not go wrong with either pant. But from what I can tell these are very comparable pants with each other.

Has anyone uses both pants?
Any thoughts on one better then the other?

Thank you for any input.

dapesche

WKR
I have both.

I wore timberlines alot in fall 2018 because it was dry. I wore the talus pants a lot this fall because it was wet.

I hunted the wet in 2018 wearing the timberlines and that led to me buying the talus pants.

I have not sold the timberlines as I really like them. They just weren't that great in the wet as I was constantly soaking through my upper things.

Talus pants are warmer as well. Thankfully they have the hip zips. I made the mistake of not looking at forecast and assumed the weather would stay cool and moist. It ended up being 8 degrees celcius and I was sweating as I hike... Up a steep mtn.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

dapesche

WKR
No worries. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Keep in mind that I hunt in thick timber. Think northern Idaho.

So if it was wet and you were in more open country you'd have the issue of water running off your rain jacket onto your thighs but the constant water from brush would probably allow the pants to dry after the storm.

OP
Fowlman

Fowlman

FNG
I am mostly hunting the Oregon coast. It is wet even in the summer. That input helps a ton.

Thank you.

Chuck44

FNG
I have both.

I wore timberlines alot in fall 2018 because it was dry. I wore the talus pants a lot this fall because it was wet.

I hunted the wet in 2018 wearing the timberlines and that led to me buying the talus pants.

I have not sold the timberlines as I really like them. They just weren't that great in the wet as I was constantly soaking through my upper things.

Talus pants are warmer as well. Thankfully they have the hip zips. I made the mistake of not looking at forecast and assumed the weather would stay cool and moist. It ended up being 8 degrees celcius and I was sweating as I hike... Up a steep mtn.

What is it about the Talus pants that keep you from soaking through on the upper thighs? The waterproof fabric on the Talus pants stops just above the knee? Was water wicking up your leg with the Timberlines?

I can only speak on behalf of the Talus pants but they are very warm and waterproof as hell. Used them all season in the snow and never did get wet.

Kostrize

WKR
The upgraded Axis pants have as much waterproofing as the Talus it appears. They’re fully fleece lined if you’re looking for something warmer

CCH

WKR
Have not tried the Talus, but the Timberlines are my go to pant if it's cool enough. I'm generally hunting Colorado, so they get more use in snow than rain. Can't say enough good about them for my uses. Again, it has to be on the cooler side (below 40) for me to use them.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Timberlines all day I just never liked the knee pads so I pulled them out but I run the timberlines for every hunt.

I'm not too fond of the kneepads on the Talus pants either but they definitely saved me when I ended in some cactus when we were deer hunting this year.

junior

WKR
anyone with experience with the talus hybrids- do your lower legs sweat bad when hiking? Do you ever wear gaiters over top of the pants or don't feel the need at all?

dapesche

WKR
What is it about the Talus pants that keep you from soaking through on the upper thighs? The waterproof fabric on the Talus pants stops just above the knee? Was water wicking up your leg with the Timberlines?

sorry for delay.

I has to be a mix of the material and the DWR treatment.
The timberline is a ticker material as well, but the Talus has a much tighter weave too it.
Timberline has more of a breathable poly look to it, and then it seems like they just made it thicker.

I am assuming that the tighter weave of that tougher fabric along with the better DWR makes the Talus better in the wet.

dapesche

WKR
anyone with experience with the talus hybrids- do your lower legs sweat bad when hiking? Do you ever wear gaiters over top of the pants or don't feel the need at all?

It depends on temp. I hunted with gaiters and without gaiters and from memory I never had issue with wet socks or excessive sweating. I run pretty hot. I got my clothing wrong on a couple early October days when the temps were in the 8 degree Celsius range and hiking up a mountain with a pack had me venting and stripping layers.

Again from memory, I remember feeling moisture running down my legs while wearing the timberlines on wet days or in those flash rain storms.

junior

WKR
thanks. Going to AK for sheep this August and would like something like the timberlines or talus but don't like to be sweating all the time as i'd likely be wearing or at least taking along gaiters anyways. I was thinking I wanted the kuiu axis but wish they were the weight of attacks, not fleece lined.

dapesche

WKR
in warmer temps I'd definitely be putting on the timberlines. As long as you knew they'd dry out after brush busting in wet undergrowth. If it is somewhat cooler than seasonal temps with precip in the forecast, Talus would be my go to for sure.