Six Fletch Arrows? Are You Crazy? - An article by Jimmy Tippetts

MC2FS

FNG
Vanetec swift or super spine ~2" seem to work well. I've done a bit of experimenting out to 100+ yards, and haven't noticed the parachuting that some mention, while still getting good groups with fixed broadheads.
What offset/helical are you using? I noticed a big difference in the parachuting when those are more extreme.

Last edited:
I've used the arizona ez fletch mini max. At 100 yards I didn't see much for a poi impact compared to a 3 fletch v-max or Easton diamond vanes, but my groups seemed to be slightly tighter. I'd have to look back to my testing pics to see how much difference there was. They also seemed to deflect less in a cross wind.

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have a list of vanes that would be more ideal for 6 fletch?

I don't have a list, but if you don't want to affect your FOC, you would want to keep them as light as possible. In the Ashby studies, if you have a higher FOC, you need less steerage in the back, That was one reason why I tried the Flex Fetch 150's. not real tall, light, and I have had good success with the flex fetch, Arizona ez-fetch, and gorilla glue Blue cap CA.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Pic-7-1-e1533507689860.jpg

Jimmy is pushing the archery envelope again guys. I had never even heard of anyone using six fletches on their arrows until I saw Jimmy post a photo of a weird looking arrow he was shooting. I was definitely intrigued and told him we needed to hear more about it. Give it a read to see if it's something that could help your archery success.

Six Fletch Arrows? Are You Crazy?
Next he'll have to do the staggered vane setup. I've seen the 6 fletch arrow idea around for a while, but the staggered fletch arrows still make me scratch my head. If anyone is OCD don't even look them up lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

After using 6 fletch fo awhile I’m back To using 3 high profile vanes. Flex fletch SK 200’s. Arrows are Very accurate and less involved fletching

Zac

WKR
I tried 6 fletch with the Pro Max. Seemed to buzz going through the air. Anyone tried the AAE Hybrid 4.0s?

rookhawk

FNG
I have a quick question for the team here as I found this post and John Dudley's podcast where he is endorsing 4 and 6 vane arrows.

I have a bow that won't tune without the arrows very close to the cables. It's an experimental bow that is carbon and very light, so no need troubleshooting the tune.

At any rate, I wanted to build some 650gr arrows using Dr. Ashby's system for this bow to use it on safari. I want to use 200gr cut-on-contact single bevel broadheads which means i have a lot of weight out front and a lot of mass cutting the wind.

So far, the smallest vane I can find is what John Dudley is endorsing, the AAE Max Plastifletch 2.0 which is a .38" tall by 2" long vane. Do you think that my arrow build with a 6 vane arrow will stabalize the arrow for hunting distances up to 60 yards?

I have a quick question for the team here as I found this post and John Dudley's podcast where he is endorsing 4 and 6 vane arrows.

I have a bow that won't tune without the arrows very close to the cables. It's an experimental bow that is carbon and very light, so no need troubleshooting the tune.

At any rate, I wanted to build some 650gr arrows using Dr. Ashby's system for this bow to use it on safari. I want to use 200gr cut-on-contact single bevel broadheads which means i have a lot of weight out front and a lot of mass cutting the wind.

So far, the smallest vane I can find is what John Dudley is endorsing, the AAE Max Plastifletch 2.0 which is a .38" tall by 2" long vane. Do you think that my arrow build with a 6 vane arrow will stabalize the arrow for hunting distances up to 60 yards?
I don’t think it will. I use the PM 1.6 in 6 fletch and if my form is perfect can shoot an average 100 gr broadhead well. Talking ATAC/Shuttle T/Wac Em type. With expandable they are phenomenal.
have you looked at Flex Fletch FLP 3” or 4”? Vanetec super spine 3”. Those in a 6 fletch might get it done.
PM me and I can send you 12 of a few different varieties of low profile vanes in a stamped envelope. I’m interested in your build and results.

I've had good luck stabilizing fixed blade magnus stingers, buzzcuts, etc. with 6 vanetec super spines in the 2.3" variety, but I also had bare shafts hitting with fletched shafts at 30, so I don't think an excessive amount of stabilization was needed.

nphunter

WKR

0CE28B75-50A6-4185-8E4B-5A5F3AA8C892.jpeg

I’ve been able to shoot COC fixed heads out to 80 yards with PM2.0’s in a six fletch. I hunt with expandable heads though and have killed elk the last two years with this setup. I really like them and am building another set.

Attachments

• 9E238AEC-E287-4CC8-A5A0-1754BD165979.jpeg
    9E238AEC-E287-4CC8-A5A0-1754BD165979.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 12
View attachment 263411

I’ve been able to shoot COC fixed heads out to 80 yards with PM2.0’s in a six fletch. I hunt with expandable heads though and have killed elk the last two years with this setup. I really like them and am building another set.
How are the PM 2.0 for noise being shield cut? I really like the 1.6 and also have 2.3’s. I fletch mine on a ez fletch

nphunter

WKR
How are the PM 2.0 for noise being shield cut? I really like the 1.6 and also have 2.3’s. I fletch mine on a ez fletch

I haven’t noticed any noise, defiantly none that has effected any animals I’ve shot with them. They are super durable and great in a cross wind compared to a 3 fletched max stealth.