Ski gear help-rent/buy or both?

With a shiny new hip and no dog to care for for the first time in 16 years I'm looking to get back on the ski slopes. I was hard core in my 20's but haven't been skiing in at least 25 years. I am told I'll be amazed at how great boots and skis are today compared to when I last went skiing.

I'm pretty much good to go with everything except boots and skis. I'd like to think I could rent boots until I find a pair that fits really good but am a bit worried that a rental pair that's been broken in by several others will fit different than a new pair of the same brand/size. So should I be renting boots or shopping for new ones? If renting should I rent at the resort or at a local ski shop of which I have a bunch of in my area? Any general tips or ideas appreciated!

I'll be spending a week or so at my brothers over the holiday's who is not far from Sun Valley so I plan on spending a couple of days there. If I decide to rent boots I'll rent in Ketchum this go around so I'm not stuck with something painful and can swap out if needed. If I decide to buy I need to get that done ASAP so I can start the break in. After the holiday's I'll be skiing local in Wa Cascades. Fortunately I'm off Tue-Thur each week so I can head up when it's not so crowded :) and cherry pick the good snow days.

I'm certainly not planning on taking on anything too difficult (moguls and cliff jumping is probably what initiated the need for a new hip) sticking to the groomed runs with maybe some single diamond runs if snow conditions are good. I'm pretty good at ignoring my brain when it screams "hit it dude!" but with skiing that may be a wee bit more difficult??

Any thoughts on what boots and skis I should start out with is much appreciated. The ski industry language has changed a lot in 25 years.

Thanks!

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I did the same thing years ago and suggest renting several times and purposely trying different brands and combos. If you buy, your basically stuck with what you got like it or not..

I was in the same boat a few years ago and concur with the above advices. Equip has come a long way in the past 20 years. You’ll be pleased!

Here’s my opinion. I am usually able to make a week or two week trips yearly and wanted the best bang for my buck. I would suggest buy your boots, they are so much better than the rentals IMO. Once you’ve bought your boots go to a rental store and buy last years demo ski or your style.

Find a great boot fitter. Not a big brand shop but a small shop with good attention to detail. Any rental boot will be damn near worn out and over flexed. A good fitter will get you in the right flex for what kind of skiing you do. Don't skimp and dont forget a good custom insole. As for skis, demo is not a bad idea. I demoed a bunch. Nordica Enforcers were my pick by a large margin. I can rip the groomers and hang pretty well on a pow day. Super versatile in my opinion. Just depends what you like to ski.

MattiG

FNG
I went through the same timeline and am now back into it 40+ days a season. Skis are almost negligible compared to boots. If I had 1000 dollar budget, I'd spend 800 on boots. So would anyone else over 40 who has ever had a proper bootfitting.

Skis have come a long way. Boots, not as much. Plus, now that you're older, your feet are going to be much more picky.

Pro tip: if a boot is comfortable when you try it on (like a good shoe), something's wrong. It should feel too tight. It will break in. Extra space and slop cause way more pain than anything once a boot packs out. Wear the tight boots for 10 minutes, walk around, flex into them. Take them off for 10 minutes and repeat. After round 2, do you have any noticeable pressure or pain points? If so, hopefully you're standing right next to a good bootfitter who can then get to work earning the best 150 bucks you ever spent (many include it in the price of a full retail boot).

As far as skis go when getting back into it, go with rocker/camber/rocker for a bit. Way different than what you remember. Something between 98 and 108mm waist width is a good Jack of all trades.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
BroodBuster
Thanks everyone!

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a pair of Salomon Pro/s 120’s.

I tried on four different brands and my left foot would have been happy in any of the four with the Salomons the best out of the box. The right foot was another story.

The 3D scan really helped and explained perfectly why I had to lose my Zamberlan hikers several years ago that I had worn for decades just fine. The second I slipped my right foot in any of the four I felt the exact same pain I had in the Zamberlans. Turns out my right foot is flatter, longer and painfully wider than my left foot.

I little oven time and strategically placed foam spacers and done. Left foot got even more comfortable and right foot felt just as good as the left.

I’m certain any rental boots would have killed my right foot so I’m very happy I went buying route. No buyers remorse here.

Once the Christmas buying season is over Sturtevant’s (where I was) offers a demo program with their leftover stock of skis. $45 a day for up to three days or three different skis. Buy a pair of those skis and get credited the rental fee. Or just keep demoing. So that’s the route I’ll go for skis.

Can’t wait to get to Sun Valley next week :)

Thanks again all and think snow!!!

IdahoElk

WKR
I would rent this year to see if it's still something you want to do.
I switched a few years ago from skiing/snowboarding to skate skiing. What a workout! It keeps you in great shape and when you get another dog it can go with you, win win

ndbuck09

WKR
I would suggest doing ski rentals/demos for a year to figure out what you like i a ski. You might light a stiff ski that you really have to drive the tips or you might like a ski with more sidecut or less sidecut, or more flex?? so many different things out there. For whatever it's worth, after trying a lot of skis, I settled on black crows Atris skis for a 1 ski quiver.

Go get yourself the best set of boots you can then demo the different types of skis out there. Since you have prior experience, I have no doubt a good ski shop can get you in a set of boots that are perfect for you in an hour or so. The shop I used scans your feet and can immediately narrow down your options to models that will work best for your foot type. Do not buy a set online!

Then you can start on skis, so many different options these days, it will take you a bit to figure out what style you want. Do you wanna a set that will slay powder and you can manage on the groomers on the off days? Or do you just want a good set of carvers and want to avoid the leg burn that comes from a day in the freshies? Have fun!

Poser

WKR
I’ll add that ski boots almost never are good to go out of the box and will need aftermarket adjustments to make them fit just right including removing parts of the liner and adding materials to other parts. Also, custom fit insoles are basically mandatory.

BullElk

FNG
Thanks everyone!

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a pair of Salomon Pro/s 120’s.

I tried on four different brands and my left foot would have been happy in any of the four with the Salomons the best out of the box. The right foot was another story.

The 3D scan really helped and explained perfectly why I had to lose my Zamberlan hikers several years ago that I had worn for decades just fine. The second I slipped my right foot in any of the four I felt the exact same pain I had in the Zamberlans. Turns out my right foot is flatter, longer and painfully wider than my left foot.

I little oven time and strategically placed foam spacers and done. Left foot got even more comfortable and right foot felt just as good as the left.

I’m certain any rental boots would have killed my right foot so I’m very happy I went buying route. No buyers remorse here.

Once the Christmas buying season is over Sturtevant’s (where I was) offers a demo program with their leftover stock of skis. $45 a day for up to three days or three different skis. Buy a pair of those skis and get credited the rental fee. Or just keep demoing. So that’s the route I’ll go for skis.

Can’t wait to get to Sun Valley next week :)

Thanks again all and think snow!!!
You’re gonna like those boots! I’ve had the 130’s for three years and they do not disappoint.
skied sv on Sunday! Great day but they need more snow.

I have a custom molded foot bed cooked into Intuition liners. Yes it is expensive but we live in the great white north and ski 50+ days a season. We use a local ski shop that gives great service. if your stock liners start giving pain look into Intuition liners.
Demo skis until you find the one, then find the next pair and start to build up the quiver. Skis are like guns, many choices for different conditions