Ski touring / AT gear

schmalzy

WKR
Recently got started. I’ll start the conversation off with strictly sticking to uphill inbounds and low angle terrain that is not in runout path etc. Gaining experience with all my gear, transitions etc before taking Avy 1 course. Reading Tremper’s book as well.

With that out of the way, would love to some AT/touring set ups.

I’m currently using BC Atris 184 with some shifts and Scarpa Maestrale RS boots. Definitely on the heavy end and more of a “50/50” set up and exploring/researching a more dedicated uphill set up. My goals are exploration, fitness and general adventure vs charging hard on the downhill. I’m still developing my downhill skills so definitely not pushing the limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Madshus. I have a pretty old set of Annums that replaced the Karhu Guides and it looks like Madshus is replacing it with the Panorama 78. I used Voile Switchback bindings coupled with Scarpa T4 boots. I was using this for some downhill also but now days I think I would get a lighter boot for just touring.

b2one

WKR
Still running old Karhu BC 100 skis with dynafit TLT 6 boots and dynafit bindings. It is a light set up that is great for the uphill grind and I am not afraid to take it down groomers.

I'm on an old pair of DPS Wailer 112RPC Pure3 with Fritshci Tectons and wearing Tecnica Zero G's Tour Scouts. Good balance of uphill/downhill for me. The Tectons perform surprisingly well the 1-3 days/yr I ski Alyeska as well, although I'd still happily use this setup if I resort skied more.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
I'm on an old pair of DPS Wailer 112RPC Pure3 with Fritshci Tectons and wearing Tecnica Zero G's Tour Scouts. Good balance of uphill/downhill for me. The Tectons perform surprisingly well the 1-3 days/yr I ski Alyeska as well, although I'd still happily use this setup if I resort skied more.

I’ve been eyeing the tectons and zero g scouts.

Currently torn between tectons and atk raiders. Tectons appealing to me because of the alleged toe elasticity/releasing characteristics. Any issues with durability? Either one would be huge weight savings from the shifts.

I’ve been eyeing the tectons and zero g scouts.

Currently torn between tectons and atk raiders. Tectons appealing to me because of the alleged toe elasticity/releasing characteristics. Any issues with durability? Either one would be huge weight savings from the shifts.

This is my third season on them and no issues yet. When I was researching them it seemed there were a few instances of them breaking when it's real cold due to the plastic getting brittle. I've used them in -15F though and they were fine. If I were building a new setup with a lighter ski, I'd go ATK for sure. My DPS's are light, but not by today's standards for dedicated touring skis.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
This is my third season on them and no issues yet. When I was researching them it seemed there were a few instances of them breaking when it's real cold due to the plastic getting brittle. I've used them in -15F though and they were fine. If I were building a new setup with a lighter ski, I'd go ATK for sure. My DPS's are light, but not by today's standards for dedicated touring skis.

What lighter ski options would you focus on? BD helio 95 (176 length) is kind of how I’m leaning but I admittedly don’t have a ton to compare it to.

What lighter ski options would you focus on? BD helio 95 (176 length) is kind of how I’m leaning but I admittedly don’t have a ton to compare it to.

I’d probably start with DPS but that’s just because it’s what I know and like. Haven’t really researched skis recently. One of my ski partners got some k2 waybacks last season and seems to like them, and they are crazy light at least compared to my setup.

JohnB

WKR
Mid winter I'm typically skiing on a set of DPS Lotus 124s that are the light touring version with some Dynafit Superlite 2.0s for bindings. These things float like mad and are decently composed in firmer snow. If you ski a lot mid winter I can not recommend a set of light 120mm+ skis enough!

For boots I've got a set of Scarpa Maestrale RS. I've long thought about switching to a lighter & heavier boot combo but these fit me quite well.

I also use a Skidoo 850 for commuting to my ski location but am not a good enough operator to get any gasoline powered uphill assistanceIMG_20240127_165756867_HDR.jpg

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Mid winter I'm typically skiing on a set of DPS Lotus 124s that are the light touring version with some Dynafit Superlite 2.0s for bindings. These things float like mad and are decently composed in firmer snow. If you ski a lot mid winter I can not recommend a set of light 120mm+ skis enough!

For boots I've got a set of Scarpa Maestrale RS. I've long thought about switching to a lighter & heavier boot combo but these fit me quite well.

I also use a Skidoo 850 for commuting to my ski location but am not a good enough operator to get any gasoline powered uphill assistanceView attachment 679128

What other boots were you looking at? In same boat; got the maestrale rs from Sierra for 300 bucks and they luckily fit (or fit as best as my inexperience says they do)

JohnB

WKR
What other boots were you looking at? In same boat; got the maestrale rs from Sierra for 300 bucks and they luckily fit (or fit as best as my inexperience says they do)

I've got no idea, hence the inertia of continuing to wear the same boot.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
What is everyone’s preferred touring pack and layers?

What is everyone’s preferred touring pack and layers?
I'm running an ortovox litric this year and really like it over my previous bca pack. I rarely tour without an airbag pack, but I'd just grab whatever is lightest probably if I did for some reason.

Layers are aclima woolnet top and bottom, black diamond recon pant, and black diamond alpine start. I can tour in just that down to single digits, then I typically just throw a hardshell over the alpine start for the descent. Puffy pants and jacket in the pack for when I'm not moving. If it's really cold, I'll add another thin base layer over the woolnets, and I'm usually good. I started wearing the woolnets a couple winters ago, and they've been a game changer for me for winter activities.

I've have no complaints with my dynafit radical pro boots this season, I am fairly new to touring aswell but I have no need to look for anything else.