Skre Guardian Thoughts/Reviews?

mwh624

FNG
anybody compare the Skre Guardian to the non-Aerolite Sitka Incinerator? On paper, the Skre looks pretty impressive. Is it warmer?

OP
T
I had my Guardian bibs and jacket on last weeked for a treestand hunt in temps about 23 degrees with 10mph winds and I got cold after 4 hours or so. Granted I only had on a FL Klamath hoody and Prana Zion pants underneath. I may just go back to my heater body suit for anything lower than 25 degrees or so.

Maverick1

WKR
I had my Guardian bibs and jacket on last weeked for a treestand hunt in temps about 23 degrees with 10mph winds and I got cold after 4 hours or so. Granted I only had on a FL Klamath hoody and Prana Zion pants underneath. I may just go back to my heater body suit for anything lower than 25 degrees or so.
That’s about a 12 degree wind chill.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
I am seriously thinking about buying the Guardian jacket. It has to be warm. I have the Sanctuary, Incinerator and Fanatic jackets and like them but the specs on Guardian are much better - 40 oz. weight, 11.4 oz. of 850 fill in an XL. It has to be warm. What I want to see is how I like zippers and layout. For me Sitka is the gold standard in those areas.

OP
T
With proper layering I feel it could be warm in extreme cold. When I had it out last time I probably just needed to layer more under it.

What don’t you like about the Fanatic? I was looking at that jacket too. All said and done though the Guardian may be the best all around extreme cold outfit. It still has its quirks and thing I’d change but overall with proper layering its a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Fanatic. In the low 20s to low 30s it is my go to jacket. For me below 20 too much layering is required with it. I can stay reasonably warm but am not as comfortable. The Incinerator works well in wet snowy weather. The fill weight is much lower than the Guardian. I also bought it in a size way too large for me so I am looking for a jacket that fits better. The Sanctuary is warm and quiet but is bulky. Synthetic fill just takes up much more room than 850 down to achieve the same warmth. No way to get around that. If I was a backpack hunter I would give the Kuiu Burner jacket a serious look . It is crazy light for the amount of 850 fill in it. But I stand hunt and the extra weight (and I believe warmth) that comes with the Guardian over the Burner is a non issue for me. The Guardian would still be much lighter than my Sanctuary jacket.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah the original Incinerator had around 4.25 oz. of 650 down and 2.85 oz. of silver Primaloft. The Guardian has 11.4 oz. of 850 and should be much warmer.

I am seriously thinking about buying the Guardian jacket. It has to be warm. I have the Sanctuary, Incinerator and Fanatic jackets and like them but the specs on Guardian are much better - 40 oz. weight, 11.4 oz. of 850 fill in an XL. It has to be warm. What I want to see is how I like zippers and layout. For me Sitka is the gold standard in those areas.
Did u buy the guardian and have a comparison?

Picked up the Guardian Jacket in December along with the Ptarmigan pants. If I had to describe the jacket, I would say that it is built almost identically to the Sitka Incinerator Jacket (I've owned two) but made with more down (warmer), a more dense internal shell material, and more comfortable wrist cuffs. I've used it pretty extensively this late season in Wisconsin. That and the Ptarmigan pants have really made me consider buying some of their lighter pants and Merino products for western hunting.

Zachb1008

FNG
Picked up the Guardian Jacket in December along with the Ptarmigan pants. If I had to describe the jacket, I would say that it is built almost identically to the Sitka Incinerator Jacket (I've owned two) but made with more down (warmer), a more dense internal shell material, and more comfortable wrist cuffs. I've used it pretty extensively this late season in Wisconsin. That and the Ptarmigan pants have really made me consider buying some of their lighter pants and Merino products for western hunting.
How was the windproofing? That's the one area that says sitka wins hands down. I currently have the sanctuary bibs from FL and the fanatic bibs from sitka. Just curious how the guardians compare with the wind blocker

How was the windproofing? That's the one area that says sitka wins hands down. I currently have the sanctuary bibs from FL and the fanatic bibs from sitka. Just curious how the guardians compare with the wind blocker
I had no issues with the windproofing. I think both the incinerator and the guardian are probably pretty equivalent as far as that goes. I have just been really impressed with the quality of the guardian jacket all around. I've never had any FL cold weather equipment so I can't speak to the comparison, but I think the shell on the incinerator and guardian type of clothing is more windproof than the fanatic as it's also waterproof. Noise is the compromise.

tsbjbp

FNG
. That and the Ptarmigan pants have really made me consider buying some of their lighter pants and Merino products for western hunting.
What are your thoughts on the Ptarmigan pants? Did you use as an outerlayer or mid layer? What temps did they keep you comfortable to?

What are your thoughts on the Ptarmigan pants? Did you use as an outerlayer or mid layer? What temps did they keep you comfortable to?
I really do like them. One complaint, they are too long for me. I'm 5'8" and the inseams of just about all Skre pants are too long. I strictly used these pants as an outerlayer. You would have to have a mega pair of pants to fit over these, and then you'd be compressing the down.

I ran the pants in temps down to about 5 degrees with a pair of light zip off merino bottoms (100 weight), and light hiking pants. Topped with the Ptarmigan pants and never got cold. The shell material on the pants is surprisingly tough.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I really do like them. One complaint, they are too long for me. I'm 5'8" and the inseams of just about all Skre pants are too long. I strictly used these pants as an outerlayer. You would have to have a mega pair of pants to fit over these, and then you'd be compressing the down.

I ran the pants in temps down to about 5 degrees with a pair of light zip off merino bottoms (100 weight), and light hiking pants. Topped with the Ptarmigan pants and never got cold. The shell material on the pants is surprisingly tough.
How quiet are they?