Skre Ptarmigan vs Kryptek Ghar

Jakerex

WKR
Can anyone compare these two jackets? Besides the hood, is there much of a difference? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Ptarmigan will be warmer, heavier and won't pack down as small if that's a factor.

Thank you. Why do you say the Ptarmigan will be warmer? I can’t find exact specs for each, but from what I could find the specs were similar.

I sold my Ptarmigan when they had advertised specs of 5 oz down fill.
Went to the Ghar because I don’t use hoods often and felt like I was cold more than I wanted to be in the Ptarmigan.
Ghar has 5 oz down fill plus synthetic fill in the armpits, top of shoulders and sleeve cuffs so it has more insulation than the Ptarmigan by a good amount and my use agrees.
Still have the Ghar after 3-4 seasons and don’t regret my choice.
Now SKRE varies the down fill with size so only way to find out is to call them.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
I sold my Ptarmigan when they had advertised specs of 5 oz down fill.
Went to the Ghar because I don’t use hoods often and felt like I was cold more than I wanted to be in the Ptarmigan.
Ghar has 5 oz down fill plus synthetic fill in the armpits, top of shoulders and sleeve cuffs so it has more insulation than the Ptarmigan by a good amount and my use agrees.
Still have the Ghar after 3-4 seasons and don’t regret my choice.
Now SKRE varies the down fill with size so only way to find out is to call them.

Does the ghar fit a bit larger than size to leave room for layering underneath…………..would I keep my normal size, or size up?

I’m the same size in both with a similar fit. Ghar might be slightly less roomy going from memory

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
If my math is correct, which it very well might not be:

Size Large Kryptek Ghar. 17oz
Size X-Large Skre Ptarmigan. 18.3oz

The Skre is 1.3oz heavier, but, is has a hood and it’s a size XL vs the Kryptek size Large with no hood.

So, it looks like pound for pound the Kryptek would have weigh more than the Skre. Not sure if that equates to down fill, some of the synthetic fill in the Kryptek, material, or what.
29c7f89a292903cef55ecef58b2fd5ce.jpg

e736c4da4a19d9a6cbad5a866d19a99b.jpg

c956ad3e2841ec6d966b55e984de14ee.jpg

Last edited:

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
I’m the same size in both with a similar fit. Ghar might be slightly less roomy going from memory
The Ghar is definitely less roomy. I have a small size one and I’m 5’6, 156 lbs and can only fit a baselayer and the outdoor vitals Ventus hoodie underneath the Ghar.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Size up on the Ghar if you want to layer underneath

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk