Sleep Challenged before the big hunt?

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
I'm leaving Thursday morning, and I've reached that stage of preparation where everything is weighed, packed. I'm finding myself waking up (4am), thinking of the hunt and going to sleep, same. In this case, counting sheep is NOT helping. You'd think I'd get better at this, you know, more calm, after all, this "ain't my first rodeo", but it Feels like the first time, to quote Foreigner. So........I've been working on a list of activities that I can engage in during my pre-hunt, hyper-excited, insomniac phase:
1. Learn a musical instrument.....you'll have to do this in a part of the house or yard where your wife will not be disturbed (ask me how I know, I'm worried that these keystrokes are waking her up now)
2. Review your gear again
a) remember, there is the "gear" as is will go on the plane (weighed and measured.....no ammo in carry-on, not even a stray round from last years deer hunt (ask me how I know.......thanks TSA for the nice letter), and there is
b) gear as it will be in the field: hopefully there is a secure place for the hard gun cases and rolling duffels, when you convert all your stuff into the backpack. Don't forget to pack coming home clothes. One year my packing strategy had me wearing the hunting boots onto the plane, and then home. This is not a good plan. I ended up at a layover in Seattle, clothes shopping at the airport and leaving some sweaty hunting clothes and some slick soled Lowa's in the trash at that store
c) is everything made out of Titanium? if not, why not?
3. Ask you wife if she'd like to review the things in your backpack. I mean, she's been watching this process as its developed for months, surely she's curious. So far my wife hasn't really showed an interest, and she can usually terminate the conversation by asking, "how much did this sheep trip cost again?" Beep Beep, I'm off like the Roadrunner
Oh look the sun's coming up........again, I hope these keystrokes aren't waking the wife
4. Back to gear.......lets talk about entertainment. I like to take books and videos (I've got some older Westerns that almost make me feel like my Dad is still nearby) on my iPhone. I know the old timers recommended a paperback, and I, myself, for years, carried a tiny Bible in a ziplock bag for those rain days, but just like any other time, I find it hard to read (no disrespect). So if I'm gonna have the iPhone be useful for the 12 day trip, I'm gonna need some extra power. I've currently got three alternatives:
a) New Trent Powerpak Ultra, 13oz and will charge the iPhone supposedly 7X; this thing is a brick, and I'm a little suspicious of it after multiple recharges
b) Fenix HP 30 headlight, who's battery pack has a USB port, and contains two 18650 batteries, said to be equivalent to 8 AAs, this has been in the gear pile and then removed because of bulk and weight in favor of......
c) Lithium AAs and a recharger that I got from Amazon that holds four of them. In my testing that setup will recharge the iPhone about 1.5 times. I've gone with this because my GPS (Garmin eTrex 30) and my headlight (Zebralight 502c) use AA. The weight is right, and TSA requires Lithium batteries to be in carry on luggage and the prefer original packaging. Has anyone seen the reports of fires from those 18650s on the internet. I don't know how real possibility is, but I've decided to use the 18650s on local trips. Funny thing is, after all this, I'll probably fall dead asleep every time we stop, never watch or read a thing
5. Another Gear topic: Things you are bringing that you know you won't need, but can't bear to leave at home:
a) knife: I've got a carbon fiber scale Sebenza from Chris Reeve knives that is superlight, but I know on a guided trip, the guide will have you hold a leg at best, and the knife is just along for the ride
b) GPS: the guide has been doing this for 20 yrs in the same spot, but hey emergencies do happen
c) Sat phone, I have to have my Iridium, I figure my last line of defense in an emergency, although the guide has one
d) Heavy, heavy, heavy Panasonic Lumix waterproof camera, I mean I will have the iPhone as mentioned above, I just like the pics better with a real camera
6. Here is a cool idea to kill those insomniac hours: look up all the monster Dall pictures on the web and file them on your iPhone, that way you can constantly review what a big one looks like vs an average one. One word of caution, don't show these to the guide. I've never met a guide that doesn't disapprove of a quest for 40 inches. Just keep those pictures to yourself.
7. Read the newspaper....I hear the dog barking, so the newspaper must have just dropped into the grass. This is Atlanta, so I'll have to skip through the daily articles on the Civil War, Civil Rights Movement, and Martin Luther King.

Maybe tomorrow morning, I'll go back over; 1) rain gear, 2) should I bring puffy pants, 3) one or two boxes of ammo, 4) water treatment yes/no/method, and other vexing Sheep Trip issues

Don (yawn)

OP
docdb

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
By the way, my post started at 5am, but after writing far too much, I hit the "post" button, the screen went blank. All my "verbal diarrhea", all my witty words, all went away. I noticed that there is an "auto saved" function, and I did a Google search to see how that works. When I tried it, I got back only the first paragraph. The rest of the above nonsense, I had to remember from the earlier effort. So, the longest post of my life, and when I hit "post".......poof! Oh well, it killed some time while the rest of the house sleeps.
Don

Buster

WKR
I was up at 4:15 this morning, but I'm lucky enough to burn my sleepless time by going scouting. August is a pretty sleepless month for me too. Good luck.

Slim Jim

WKR
3. Ask you wife if she'd like to review the things in your backpack. I mean, she's been watching this process as its developed for months, surely she's curious. So far my wife hasn't really showed an interest, and she can usually terminate the conversation by asking, "how much did this sheep trip cost again?"

Haha your a funny dude. Sounds like you have a similar household to mine. Have a great hunt and post pics when you get back. Now I'm off to double check my pack for next weeks hunt

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
I've been dreaming sheep hunting for a week now and my hunts still 22 days away!! I'm real jealous of you guys heading out this week!! Good luck, be safe & here's a few more pictures for you guys!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407086659.587260.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407086754.032320.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407086815.593483.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407086886.613355.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407086951.032298.jpg

Gwoodak

FNG
I hear ya. Struggling to stay on task with work. I've got multiple development projects I'm trying to juggle and the damn sheep keep popping into my thoughts. It'll be nice to put my butt in the seat of that super cub and put it all into motion. Shooting, training, packing, re-packing, hand wringing, reading, it's taking it's mental toll. I took a fall yesterday while Downhill Mountain Biking and all I could think of while I was in the air waiting for impact was, "My wife is going to kill me if I can't go hunting with her!" Thankfully I was wearing full padding and I was no worse for wear but it definitely made me mellow it out for the rest of the riding. You know how they say men think of sex every five seconds? Well then sheep hunting must be every 10........

Good luck to everyone in the next few weeks. Be safe and remember to soak it all in.

I've been dreaming sheep hunting for a week now and my hunts still 22 days away!! I'm real jealous of you guys heading out this week!! Good luck, be safe & here's a few more pictures for you guys.

I know that cub well. :) Here's is one of it with it's old paint job and a couple mountains over. MUCH smaller ram though. You guys slayed them last year.

Hoping it will haul out a goat for me this year.

Yk

PA 5-0

WKR
I've been dreaming sheep hunting for a week now and my hunts still 22 days away!! I'm real jealous of you guys heading out this week!! Good luck, be safe & here's a few more pictures for you guys!View attachment 17778View attachment 17779View attachment 17780View attachment 17781View attachment 17782

Holy chit brother!!! I hope I am hunting in the same area as you. Jesus!! I am in a shambles already. Told my boss I'll be useless this week. Cannot wait to board the plane on Thursday. These pics will help me limp thru this week. Thx for posting.

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
Holy chit brother!!! I hope I am hunting in the same area as you. Jesus!! I am in a shambles already. Told my boss I'll be useless this week. Cannot wait to board the plane on Thursday. These pics will help me limp thru this week. Thx for posting.

Enjoy the anticipation!! Once the hunt starts it's gonna go by all too fast. A Sheep trip is the pinnacle of Alaska hunts and your never going to forget the experience. Have an awesome adventure and enjoy every second of it!! Good luck

Stid2677

WKR
Try to get ahead start on the time change. The sooner you adjust to local time the better you will rest. We are packed and ready, roll in the am.

agavy4eb.jpg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm finding myself waking up (4am),

Just be thankful that this is a seasonal thing..........for me it's year round, and I have never been a morning person. Comes in handy during hunting season, but for whatever reason it's then that my body decides to sleep until after the sun has come up.

Snyd

WKR
Sheep Fever!!!......

docdb, the only cure is the hunt! This year will be my 10th sheep hunt, headed out this thursday. I've been a bundle of nervous excitement for days. If it ever gets to where I'm not "feeling it" and lose Sheep Fever then I might as well dump all my gear and take up needle point.....

good luck to you

Sheep Fever!!!......

docdb, the only cure is the hunt! This year will be my 10th sheep hunt, headed out this thursday. I've been a bundle of nervous excitement for days. If it ever gets to where I'm not "feeling it" and lose Sheep Fever then I might as well dump all my gear and take up needle point.....

good luck to you

Good luck to you friend,
I hope you get a chance with your .45!!!!

Bob