Sleeper rifle builds or plans?

Any guys out there with sleeper rigs or plans for one on paper?

Basic unassuming looking affordable rifles that can go way longer and more accurately than anyone would suspect? As the opposite to the high dollar carbon chassis prs mil type anvils running around. Lets hear about if this is a thing, built or just thoughts...if you did go down this road what does/would it look like?

WKR
Have a few really nice rigs that cost too much lol. My sleeper is a B series Rem 700 in 30-06. I bedded it into a McMillan and it shoots wonderfully to quite long range. You could simply bed one into their existing wood stock and if it shoots great, you have a winner. If it doesn't, trip it for no money lost.

That's my sleeper rig anyway.

OP
S
Have a few really nice rigs that cost too much lol. My sleeper is a B series Rem 700 in 30-06. I bedded it into a McMillan and it shoots wonderfully to quite long range. You could simply bed one into their existing wood stock and if it shoots great, you have a winner. If it doesn't, trip it for no money lost.

That's my sleeper rig anyway.

what's you're optic and beyond point blank range solution?

OP
S
Agreed, and factory ammo to boot.

Are there any guys that show up like bagger vance with a handful of ancient shat clubs to prc comps and slap their sleeper beater and factory ammo on the bench and clean some high dollar clocks?

Would definitely get along well with guys like that lol.

Who else plays like that? ‘All motor’😉

And what would you build to do such a thing?

ID_Matt

WKR
Agreed, and factory ammo to boot.

Are there any guys that show up like bagger vance with a handful of ancient shat clubs to prc comps and slap their sleeper beater and factory ammo on the bench and clean some high dollar clocks?

Would definitely get along well with guys like that lol.

Who else plays like that? ‘All motor’😉

And what would you build to do such a thing?
Rusty Ulmer has won overall at a few different NRL Hunter matches I believe. Factory Tikka. Beat out the 16 lb match guns. I don't know that a tikka counts as a shat club though.

OP
S
I would agree that Tikka would be the high end of the shat club lol. It’s likely what I’d run in 6mm manbun. I like this Rusty guy!👍 is it factory stock and what glass does he use?

ID_Matt

WKR
I would agree that Tikka would be the high end of the shat club lol. It’s likely what I’d run in 6mm manbun. I like this Rusty guy!👍 is it factory stock and what glass does he use?
Rules are pretty strict. Factory stock for sure. No idea what glass he uses but I would bet it is high end.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Just did this Tikka with a dremel inletted and spray painted stock, and a Preferred Barrel Blanks taperless 20" tube chambered in 25 creedmoor, for fun and to let kids use. Need to get a quality optic for it to go long, but it's looking plenty capable with the 133 berger elites.
20220626_165959.jpg20220709_153955.jpg20220716_112906.jpg

Rusty is not shooting a tikka and damn sure not in a factory stock. People don’t show up and clean clocks with old hunting rifles because it’s a specialized sport suited for certain equipment. So drop the chip off the shoulder and bring your stock rifle and learn how to shoot better it’s a community of excellent shooters

Just did this Tikka with a dremel inletted and spray painted stock, and a Preferred Barrel Blanks taperless 20" tube chambered in 25 creedmoor, for fun and to let kids use. Need to get a quality optic for it to go long, but it's looking plenty capable with the 133 berger elites.
View attachment 436138View attachment 436139View attachment 436140
Not to derail too much here…what’s your load data and velocity looking like?

I’ve got a 26” 25 creed from PBB on my tikka shooting 2820fps with the 135gr and h4350.

To the OP: I would say a prefit on a tikka is a sleeper setup 😎

ID_Matt

WKR

Rusty is not shooting a tikka and damn sure not in a factory stock. People don’t show up and clean clocks with old hunting rifles because it’s a specialized sport suited for certain equipment. So drop the chip off the shoulder and bring your stock rifle and learn how to shoot better it’s a community of excellent shooters
I was referring to the NRL Hunter Factory division that he is currently leading. Unless maybe they changed the rules and allow 20 lb 6 dashers for the factory division now?? I could have easily mistaken an mpa chassis for a tikka stock though.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Not to derail too much here…what’s your load data and velocity looking like?

I’ve got a 26” 25 creed from PBB on my tikka shooting 2820fps with the 135gr and h4350.

To the OP: I would say a prefit on a tikka is a sleeper setup 😎

I was referring to the NRL Hunter Factory division that he is currently leading. Unless maybe they changed the rules and allow 20 lb 6 dashers for the factory division now?? I could have easily mistaken an mpa chassis for a tikka stock though.
Last time I seen his stuff he was running an impact in a mpa but haven’t been following factory division

OP
S
Oh i wasn’t suggesting you’d win with a sleeper but run better than the low end of pack of high dollar hot shots perhaps.😉

That 25 with 133’s looks good, not sleeper enough though, it would raise at least one eyebrow lol

BLJ

WKR
I know some will scoff but I’ve had really good luck with Ruger Americans. The one pictured is a factory Predator. I made a cheek riser and vertical grip from Kydex. Filled the fore end with lead wire and JB Weld. Filled the butt stock with head bolts from a Catepillar engine. Painted the stock gray. Scope was a Bushnell Nitro 5-20. Caldwell bipod. Shooting factory Hornady 147 ELDM.
The group shown is 3 shots at 100. Ended up with 6 around .4. And yes those are rough guesses on center to center. You get the idea though. It would also put 5 at around 4” at 575 off the bench pretty easy.

Attachments

• 3347CC63-5F30-48BF-BE47-CD4DC3C03A35.jpeg
    3347CC63-5F30-48BF-BE47-CD4DC3C03A35.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 173070C6-369C-4102-A06F-6A5BD8FBC510.jpeg
    173070C6-369C-4102-A06F-6A5BD8FBC510.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 54

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
My little .308 is my go to gun that surprises people. I built it out of spare parts for other guns/builds I had laying around:

Shilen DGR action
Shilen 20in barrel
Magpul Hunter stock
Bushnell Gen 1 LRHS scope (picture here with a cheap vortex scope).
Timney trigger

This little thing is crazy accurate, and while I love to handload the Hornady Precision Hunter ammo shoots under 0.5 MOA with great SD/ES so I just run that factory ammo in it.

Have surprised many people at the range with really small groups, and first round hits out to 500 yards.

Attachments

• 20161119_105446.jpg
    20161119_105446.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 46

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
I wish I could get my Browning Xbolt 300 wsm to shoot a tighter group at 500yds. I reload using Berger bullets and 400 yds is my max shooting deer. After 400 they get pretty flighty. Ive shot hogs at 600 yds several times but those are mostly hell marys.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I wish I could get my Browning Xbolt 300 wsm to shoot a tighter group at 500yds. I reload using Berger bullets and 400 yds is my max shooting deer. After 400 they get pretty flighty. Ive shot hogs at 600 yds several times but those are mostly hell marys.

What scope and mounts do you use?

Are you dialing, or using holder references? Or, Kentucky windage?