Sleeping bag mod for glassing...

sr80

WKR
I had a thought the other morning while out glassing, usually my feet are the first to start getting cold, and then it carries on up my legs until my whole body is frozen. I do own and use puffy pants, but they can be a bit of a chore to put on and off, sometime i sit and glass an area and move after 10 or so minutes to reveal some new pockets etc in the area i am glassing. I had a thought of chopping down and old sleeping bag, say about halfway up, just enough to get my feet with boots on and then cover my legs while sitting. Kind of like a woodie i would suppose. Anyone ever do something like that?

Never done that but have used my bag when glassing as my toes/feet get cold fast when not moving.

To protect the inside and outside of the bag, you might try bringing 2 contractor bags. Put one around your boots then slip them into the bag, then the other around the outside of the bag to protect it.

I have used my “convert” quilt from EE for this very purpose. It has openings on both ends and a full length zipper.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get yourself a half bag.....aka elephants foot. Mountaineers have used this system for a long while and it's paired with a robust down puffy. I use a patagonia half bag as I know what cold feet do......if I can keep them warm, I can sit all day. Weighs like 14 ounces but several mountaineering companies make half bags.

Randy

EdP

WKR
I think it's a "woobie." A woodie is something altogether different :mad:.

I don't think cutting up a bag is going to work out well but a down woobie to add insulation on top of your puffy pants would. Somebody makes a smaller version they call a "weebie" that I have considered for the same purpose. It's a high end synthetic insulation, not down though.

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
I think it's a "woobie." A woodie is something altogether different :mad:.

I don't think cutting up a bag is going to work out well but a down woobie to add insulation on top of your puffy pants would. Somebody makes a smaller version they call a "weebie" that I have considered for the same purpose. It's a high end synthetic insulation, not down though.
hahah, ya i am looking for something that is quicker to throw on or off between locations.

EdP

WKR
It is Kifaru that makes Doobies, Woobies, and the smaller Weebie. Unfortunately, the Weebie does not come in camo. I don't need or want the larger Woobie for a leg cover. Also, there is no info I can find on their site on the cover fabric. If it is soft and quiet that would be great.

S.Clancy

WKR
I've glassed with the sleeping bag over me alot. Key is I loosen the laces of my boots really loose, then just drape the bag over my legs and feet. Toasty

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a guy design a pair of lightweight over boots. We were going to use Apex insulation and lighter nylon fabric. Didn’t have to be bomber fabric as they weren’t going to be used on the move, just glassing.

He got measurements from my boots and even came up with a 3D image. That was two years ago- still don’t have them :D

PNWGATOR

WKR
Get yourself a half bag.....aka elephants foot. Mountaineers have used this system for a long while and it's paired with a robust down puffy. I use a patagonia half bag as I know what cold feet do......if I can keep them warm, I can sit all day. Weighs like 14 ounces but several mountaineering companies make half bags.

Randy

This is a GREAT system!

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hint hint.......a quilt company needs to make a half quilt with extra down in the foot box area. Something designed so you could basically wrap it around you to your waist and zip it up with either your boots in it our out the end.
My whole purpose of my system was to have the capability of staying the night out FAIRLY comfortably if a had to or needed to. Ive used this several times and it is adequate. I also carry a half closed cell foam pad that i use for a glassing pad and it works also for a upper torso sleep pad. And be warm while sitting and glassing. The patagonia half bag is great but it's a pull on and a pain in the ass.
A wrap around half quilt would be ideal.

Randy

packer58

WKR
I had a guy design a pair of lightweight over boots. We were going to use Apex insulation and lighter nylon fabric. Didn’t have to be bomber fabric as they weren’t going to be used on the move, just glassing.

He got measurements from my boots and even came up with a 3D image. That was two years ago- still don’t have them :D
There are some talented folks on this site with a sewing machine, shouldn't be real hard to come up with a "Boot Gator" of some sort. Basically and Gator type design with a boot box ....... Hell, you could call em the "Booty Box" and sell em by the truck loads .....

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he figured 8 oz (and would pack small) using 5 oz Apex insulation

zEwS9pj.png

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Enlightened Equipment used to sell a "snow skirt"- it was a wrap around affair w/ snaps- available in a few different sizes (and your choice of fabric colors) and you could designate the weight of the insulation (Apex)

Evidently not a great seller as they no longer sell them.

packer58

WKR
I think he figured 8 oz (and would pack small) using 5 oz Apex insulation

zEwS9pj.png
There ya go, front zip down the middle or side zip would work .... basically were your white lines are on the drawing. Not sure the seams have to be that complex though for and overboot.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
There ya go, front zip down the middle or side zip would work .... basically were your white lines are on the drawing. Not sure the seams have to be that complex though for and overboot.

I think we figured a small zip at the rear.

The guy definitely was very detail orientated, but not so good on the delivery :)