Sleeping bag mod for glassing...

EdP

WKR
Hint hint.......a quilt company needs to make a half quilt with extra down in the foot box area. Something designed so you could basically wrap it around you to your waist and zip it up with either your boots in it our out the end.

My whole purpose of my system was to have the capability of staying the night out FAIRLY comfortably if a had to or needed to. Ive used this several times and it is adequate. I also carry a half closed cell foam pad that i use for a glassing pad and it works also for a upper torso sleep pad. And be warm while sitting and glassing.

A wrap around half quilt would be ideal.

Bingo! I carry a 1/2 length pad also as a glassing/ground stand pad. It is long enough to run hips to shoulders if I had to spend a night out as I am not very tall. I need a light and warm 1/2 quilt in camo made with Apex and a quiet and soft cover cloth. Down insulation requires a fabric that is loud and that won't work when whitetail hunting. As I have aged the heat loss from my legs has become more of an issue. Puffy pants would probably solve it but I want something more multipurpose.

I would look into down blankets. I bought one for $25 from sportsman’s warehouse. The ones they sell now are synthetic down and pack a little larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I would look into down blankets. I bought one for $25 from sportsman’s warehouse. The ones they sell now are synthetic down and pack a little larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this would be a good approach. If you or someone you know has a sewing machine, it'd be pretty easy to sew on a couple straps and buckles to make it into a half-bag shape and secure it around your legs. I've seen people on backpacking forums make their quilts out of cheap costco blankets.

Much like the kids bags mentioned above, how about a short (as in Short, Reg, & Long) bag, look in the women's section- used would save a few more $$. Costco used to sell down blanket/throw that I would wrap the boys up in when glassing on cold mornings as another option.

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
actually found a cheap synthetic blanket with snaps, and i do have a sewing machine...well my wife does. Ive been playing around with it layely doing some little projects, glassing pad covers etc. Youtube has been a great teacher! So i plan on modifying it.

I bet you could get an elephants foot quilt by ordering a xxs by xxw quilt from someone like el coyote or EE

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
i returned the amazon synthetic blanket, it wasn't thick enough. I don't want to spend much on this, as it may or may not work. So i will chop my old sleeping bag i have in the storage room and try that out...

I was just at Cabelas today and took a look at some of the puffy blankets there. Kelty actually sells an inexpensive one. It’s called the Bestie Blanket. I actually bought one to keep in the truck. Only $30 not on sale. If you have an REI, Bass Pro, or Cabelas nearby it’s worth a look.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Of the many projects on the back burner, I have a glassing skirt/blanket and slip on booties.

Using Apex 5 and 10 ounce and light/quiet ripstop.

I think the critical part of the feet is isolation from the cold ground and loosening the laces to get blood flow and not compress the socks and boot insulation. I think a 1/2 foam sheet on the bottom is bette than insulation. Above that, something puffy.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
To cut your bag, see if you can draw a line and sew it twice and cut between the stitches. That will make it a lot easier.

If you can’t do that, pin the layers together on both sides of the line before you cut.

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
To cut your bag, see if you can draw a line and sew it twice and cut between the stitches. That will make it a lot easier.

If you can’t do that, pin the layers together on both sides of the line before you cut.
ahhh great tip! I havent tackled this project yet, likely something ill be doing after hunting season now!

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve often threatened to get arctic shield insulated boot covers to do along with my puffy pants but haven’t pulled the trigger on them yet

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of the many projects on the back burner, I have a glassing skirt/blanket and slip on booties.

Using Apex 5 and 10 ounce and light/quiet ripstop.

I think the critical part of the feet is isolation from the cold ground and loosening the laces to get blood flow and not compress the socks and boot insulation. I think a 1/2 foam sheet on the bottom is bette than insulation. Above that, something puffy.

^ Very true on the insulation under your fet

I carry two sections of Z Lite pad during colder weather hunts- one is 20x20", the other 20x30"- the 20x20 goes under my boots, the 20x30 under my a$$ :D

If need be, it gives me 50" for a torso length pad.

I have been down this road a few times. Tried the artic shield with limited success. Using warmer packets they work a little better. Tried a woobie alone too. Limited success. Best I have found is a synthetic woobie paired with feathered friends down booties. I can do 0 degrees and wind and be ok. The booties work great for midnight piss adventures as well. Both together weigh almost nothing, pack small, and have many purposes.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been down this road a few times. Tried the artic shield with limited success. Using warmer packets they work a little better. Tried a woobie alone too. Limited success. Best I have found is a synthetic woobie paired with feathered friends down booties. I can do 0 degrees and wind and be ok. The booties work great for midnight piss adventures as well. Both together weigh almost nothing, pack small, and have many purposes.
Seems like this is the best solution to really be cold resilient. Having tried to design booties to go over boots, for weight and warmth, I think you have to take your boots off to be effective and not be oversized.

I am in AZ so I don’t get into cold like a lot of you all…