Sleeping Bag recommendation

rslscobra

FNG
Looking for a lightweight 15/20 degree mummy bag. What do you guys recommend? I currently have a outdoor vital zero degree bag, looking for something lighter and don't need to be a zero degree.

Kifaru Slickbag 20 degree. It’s bombproof. I never worry about a damn thing when I’m in it (early to mid season).

Lots of folks use other bags and stand by them. Lots of threads on this topic specifically. Use the search tool and you will find a ton of info

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Look at Big Agnes bags. I have two a negative 20 and a zero. I get cold easy. I choose the ones with sleeves for the pad so you don't role off the pad. Mine has no down under you only over you so you sleep directly on the pad. This lightens the bag.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
Look at Big Agnes bags. I have two a negative 20 and a zero. I get cold easy. I choose the ones with sleeves for the pad so you don't role off the pad. Mine has no down under you only over you so you sleep directly on the pad. This lightens the bag.
+1

mwebs

WKR
I have a Marmot Helium 15 degree, buddy has a Patagonia 15 degree and other buddy has a Feather and Friends 15 degree. They are all great, mine is the lightest and packs the smallest (down to nalgene size) also was the least expensive. Its gotten wet a decent amount of times and still has great loft.

Beendare

WKR
Don't buy a cheap down bag!

Go 800fill or better...the 550/650 stuff will disappoint over time.

This is a piece of gear where you want quality....and its worth it.

This has been discussed ad nauesum in the "Sleeping" section if you look

______

pirogue

WKR
Another vote for the Marmot Helium. Mine was made when they used 900 ct down, so lighter, loftier, and compresses better than today’s 850 ct, but still recommended.

DESERT ED

FNG
Western Mountanering. Buy once, cry once. I only would get a mummy style if it was going to be really cold... below 0 ...
lots of quality choices nowadays.

Gapmaster

WKR
Got a BA Summit Park 15...I love it. No insulation in the bottom so it lightens up the bag. Tons of room. I’m 6’1” 230 and can flop all around in it. I’ve used it in 20 degree weather, had to use socks, but I thought it performed fantastic at 22 degrees for a 15 degree bag.

Wrench

WKR
Like a fool I left my Western Mountaineerig bag to try a new bag.

Western rates their bags for sleeping naked.....others assume you'll run in place wearing all your gear.

Howell81

FNG
Like a fool I left my Western Mountaineerig bag to try a new bag.

Western rates their bags for sleeping naked.....others assume you'll run in place wearing all your gear.

sleeping naked on the side of a mountain is awesome!

OFFHNTN

WKR
If you like to sleep on your side, look at the Nemo Riff 15. It's "spoon shaped" soy can sleep on your side and have more room. It feels bigger than a typical mummy bag, but still packs small. I've used mine in temps colder than 15 degrees and have never been cold in it. Great bag.

For some reason REI gets overlooked by hunters, but I would check out their magma 15 bag. It’s probably the best value in a piece of gear that I own. It’s an 850 fill and weighs less than two lbs. Very comfortable and definitely lives up to its temperature rating.

Beendare

WKR
sleeping naked on the side of a mountain is awesome!
Yeah, I've seen those studies that say sleeping naked actually keeps you warmer in a good bag, I don't believe that.

Its a mute point for me anyway, as I can get pretty funky on a hunt so I always sleep in my LJ's to keep my bag from getting funky too.

Nobody wants a "Fart Sack" ...when you shake that thing out and it just wreaks. Washing these down bags is a process that I don't want to deal with after every trip.

______

turfking

FNG
I run a mountain hardware ratio 15. Packs nice and is pretty warm to about 20 degrees. I also use a fleece liner to keep the funk down since its washable. If I get to cold I will throw my used hot hands from that evening in the bottom or open a larger body one thats still usually good for the morning hunt. If I did it all over again I would spend more for a 0 degree and light weight. Better to be safe than sorry.

WyoBC_99

FNG
Yea, definitely ignore the manufacturer's labeled 'rating.' That's why they have invented the ISO? ENO? standards - whatever they're called. Some companies label close to the Limit rating and some label closer to the Comfort rating. I have had good luck buying bags by according to these standard ratings and ignoring the labels.

For some reason REI gets overlooked by hunters, but I would check out their magma 15 bag. It’s probably the best value in a piece of gear that I own. It’s an 850 fill and weighs less than two lbs. Very comfortable and definitely lives up to its temperature rating.

Damn I think I am going to give this Magma 15 a look. Seems like a good bag for the price. Hows the room in it. Says it 63" wide at the shoulders which is larger than most mummy bags.