Sleeping bag situation

7mag.

WKR
Straight on the pad and floorless.
ee82dcb41dbdc0a55a7e278fcba01ce3.jpg

Is everyone that is using a quilt sleeping directly on their pad? Are any of you using a quilt us a floorless other than justinspicher?

Justin

Well a hammock is floorless. <g> My tent has a nest. But I sleep directly on my EXPED 9UL mat wearing a merino base layer and beanie.

weaver

WKR
I sleep straight on the pad. Inside a ti-goat bivy. Floorless shelter.

tenth1

Lil-Rokslider
After several down attempts with sleeping bags and quilts (I will never buy one again), I have settled on a MH Ultralamina. Being as what my wife calls a "rodeo" sleeper i have come to love a mummy with a ti goat bivy and a Therm-a-Rest ProLite (less distance to fall off compared to my exped 7 and keeps everything together). floorless or not

bobhunts

WKR
I bought two Marmot Plasma bags before they were all sold out. They are discontinued due to the price of the 900 fill down. Glad I bought them. I will say I bought the 0 degree bags and you can still find the 15 degree bags and they rock too. Picked up a 15 degree lithium ( I think that is the name ..or it might have been the Helium ..but it was the better of the two regarding weight ) The other option would be the KUIU bag but way more pricey and they are all mummy bags and I learned to sleep in a mummy while in the Army. No need for a quilt. Bags are so darn light if you buy the right one.

16Bore

WKR
Enlightened Equipment Quilt made me forget what a sleeping bag was. 30 degree rating, weighs 1.6# and packs to the size of a football. Used it down to 27 last week and was toasty on a BA Aircore. Straps with the locks on top keep it nice and tucked. If you move around a lot, you'll appreciate not feeling like a tootsie roll

I also like the quilt/pad/bivy. Since discovering EE quilts, about 2 years ago, I've stopped using my sleeping bags. Regular/regular 10 degree down quilt, regular Xtherm pad, and UL bivy all in at 41 oz. and since I use a bivy, I have no need for the quilt straps.

Attachments

• 77.jpg
    77.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 131

16Bore

WKR
So you do the bivy under a tarp, interesting. What kinda of tarp deal is that?

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
For those interested in quilts but not sure if they are ready to give up a fully enclosed bag, maybe check out our CONVERT.

It is 64" around in the REG width (58" in SLIM and soon to be 70" in WIDE), this gives a lot more coverage than a Regular width quilt (Reg Convert = Xwide Revelation/Enigma) for easy draft control (no straps needed or provided). When it gets cold you can zip it up if needed. Still hoodless to use with a warm hat or balaclava like our HOODLUM so when you roll around inside your head insulation moves with you unlike a mummy hood where you end up face down in it at some point.

Worth a look if you're not ready for quilts just yet but leaning that way

-Tim Marshall
Enlightened Equipment

16Bore

WKR
Quick question:

How much compression can your quilts take? I'm using your stuff sack, but believe I could compress it further.

Recommended or not?

Thanks!

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
Compress away. Just limit compression to short duration and store loose between uses. Should be no problem.

16Bore

WKR
Good to know. These quilts are great, can't imagine another night in a bag.

GPATTI

WKR
For the quilt design, do you sleep directly on your pad, and just have the quilt laid over you? Or do you wrap the quilt around the pad and strap it underneath the pad? Or, sleep in the quilt and on top of the pad? Sorry.....just a little confused on how it's used. Perhaps it's all just user preference?

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
There are people doing both. I recommend quilt secured around you on top of pad for most comfort and warmth

Last edited:
Justin,

I have a Regular Wide 20* Slick bag and used it as a quilt in November when the temps went down to 32*. I was sleeping in a hammock that night and had an insulated sleeping pad under me for warmth and the Slick bag unzipped and over me like a quilt. I slept fine. Since the Slick bag does not unzip all the way to form a blanket you wind up with a quilt that has a big spacious foot box that goes part way up your lower legs. It was very comfortable and I didn't have any problems with it slipping off of me. I also didn't need to wrap it under me to stay warm.

Larry

16Bore

WKR
Try a few YouTube videos, EE may have one as well. The straps wrap around the pad and hold it in place and you slide the fasteners towards your body if you want a tighter "fit". My first test was a backpack trip and I hadn't even tried to set it up prior. 27 degrees and a 30 degree quilt. Blew my mind how comfortable I slept.

What I want now is an extra long pad with the baffles running shoulder to shoulder (rather than head to foot) and to somehow come up with a way to fold the top portion on itself and strap it down as a pillow.

It may make me over sleep!!

And if EE and ENOS could somehow put their heads together for a quilt/hammock one piece deal, sooky sooky, it'd be awesome.

I've actually been thinking of taking my long/wide side zip slik bag and turning it into a quilt.i turn and twist to much and land up trapping myself in the hood

Have not missed a bag at all since I tried a quilt. I have only used it a handful of time however. But I am really like it. I have found it to be much warmer than the two big Agnes bags I tried prior (encampment and lost ranger) even though they were rated warmer.