UL 20deg + ~2lb sleeping bags with a $150 budget - is it even possible?

OP
P

pyrobob83

FNG
The more I look into it, the more I like the idea of that SD Cloud 800 20° - feels like it'd be a good compromise between a traditional bag and a quilt. 6 days to go I guess... 🫠

OP
P

pyrobob83

FNG
I would be looking for a good used bag. WM versalite comes to mind
Thanks, I agree used is the best way to hit my budget and the classifieds here look pretty good, just can't use them yet...

cr406

FNG
Another good place to look for used stuff is reddit r/ulgeartrade and r/geartrade. Not all the time and getting truly amazing deals requires regular checking otherwise someone else will pounce. But if you have more time than money it's a good way to start building out an ultralight system. I was able to get a feathered friends tanager for over $170 less then new, there's a lot of people out there who like buying gear more than using it.

S.Clancy

WKR
The more I look into it, the more I like the idea of that SD Cloud 800 20° - feels like it'd be a good compromise between a traditional bag and a quilt. 6 days to go I guess... 🫠
I had a Cloud 35 before my 40 degree quilt. The quilt is warmer and more preferable for me, just FYI

I was going to recommend a quilt but your budget makes that a challenge. I did own a kelty cosmic 20 degree bag that was fairly recent and light weight.

I went quilt this year and doubt I’ll ever change unless it’s winter camping when a quilt isn’t warm enough. I did buy my Thermarest 20 degree quilt off camofire for a decent price. It’s pretty darn warm. And super light.

CMF

WKR
$200 and some patience can get you a used, down quilt in the 25oz range, I still need one more myself...

mtnwkr

FNG
With those specs I'd be buying used. Better to have a great used bag than a so-so new one.

OP
P

pyrobob83

FNG
I did end up going used - got the Cloud 800 20° from the classifieds on here. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but the down doesn't loft as much as I expected - there's lots of gaps when you look through it to a light, so hoping it does ok. I do like the less restrictive shoulders but just hoping it's warm enough. Got a pad with a decent value so 🤞. Thanks for the input all!

Beendare

WKR
$200, 20 deg, 2#-
I‘ve never seen it.

The problem is to meet the 20deg/2# it would need to be quality 800, 850 or 900 fill down- which are expensive. The 550, 600 or 650 fill bags loose loft in a short time.

Cheap down bags are pretty much worthless in my experience- been there done that

Last edited:

HUNT JR

WKR
There was a deal on campsaver.com that had a thermarest down 650 fill bag for 126 bucks. It was around 2 lbs in the regular size. They seem to have a few good deals - I will be checking their site more often.

If you sew or know someone who does, its not too hard to make an APEX quilt for cheap. Membrane7 fabric and probably 7.5oz APEX would get you to your target Maybe 10oz APEX if you need it warmer.. Pretty easy stuff to work with, doesnt require "quilting" to hold it in place. Could make a custom one to fit exactly to the perimeter of your sleeping pad. (by the way, Ill second the sleeping pad comments made above... put the money into a good sleeping pad, like a thermarest neoair with a high R value rating, and that will make all the difference in being able to use a quilt comfortably)

I realize you already found something, but in case you or someone else is curious I've had good experience with this 800fp Chinese down quilt https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805256137855.html

I ran the 830g fill on a pretty cold late season elk hunt on an Exped R7 pad in a 4 season xmid and was comfortable and it weighed in under 2.5 pounds. I got it on sale for ~$150 shipped. I was so pleased with it i bought a 430g version when I returned for 3 season use for $112 on sale shipped, which is listed as weighing 1.5 pounds.

Of course quilts and chinese stuff isn't for everyone, and the long version might be a little short for very tall people depending on sleeping position.

I also strongly considered making an APEX quilt as mentioned above. Lots of good videos out there and materials on dutchwaregear.com but I wanted the extra weight savings and packability.