Sleeping bags

I know this has been discussed multiple times, but what do you recommend for a sleeping bag during rifle seasons in the rockies?

I have a military surplus green mummy bag and is rated at 0, it gets a bit cold in there sometimes. The weather is typically 0-15F at night when I go up. The tent can get pretty cold when the stove goes out in the middle of the night.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm too old to be cold. I picked up a Western Mountaineering Bristlecone for 3rd rifle in Colorado. 850 down and a lot of it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Your surplus 0* bag is probably more like a 20-25* bag
Like most things, you get what you pay for...and this holds especially true for sleeping bags.

A quality 0* or -10* bag should be sufficient, depending on yourself and your setup.
If you are going to continue to hunt rifle seasons, I’d also suggest looking at WM.
They’re top shelf in every way, and you’ll not be disappointed.

wytx

WKR
Get an outfitter type canvas bag. I have an older cabelas outfitter bag rated to 0, I now have a Grizzly bag rated to -25. The Grizzly is ok, plenty warm but don't like the design the best.
A wool blanket will add tons of warmth draped over the bag and make sure you have something under it on the cot to block the cold air from coming up from under the cot.
For a backpacking type bag, you're going to have to pay for a good, warm bag.
Maybe a liner for your current bag or a bivy cover ?

Sierra Nitro 800. 30% off right now. Otherwise a Kelty Cosmic 0 if that’s too much $. I personally would go for a 20, but to each his own.

You might need a better pad too - as the EN tests assume you have at least an R-value of 4. What are you using?

Last edited:
Which model? Bristlecone ? or is there other options?

If you’re interested in a WM bag...
There are lots of options, just look on Western mountaineering’s site.

WM bags never go on sale, but I’d scour the classifieds, place a WTB add, look on eBay/CL or maybe contact bean outdoors on here, and ask for best possible deal.

WM sets the bar, as far as bags go.
There are less expensive options, but as mentioned, if you’re going to continue to hunt colder seasons, the investment into something like this pays itself off over the years in warmth and comfort.

OP
I hunt colder seasons in a canvas tent. The stove keeps it good for the most part until it goes out. Maybe I should just put a pad underneath my 0* mil. surplus bag bag and I'll be good. I know that helps a bit. :)

$300-$400 ish is reasonable for me.

Yep you just need an insulated pad...especially if you’re using a stove and canvas tent. They don’t help a bit, they help a ton.

No point shelling out $$$ for backpacking gear if you are not backpacking. With that said there are some stellar sales right now, AND the $200 EE quilt just listed In the classifieds is worth at least $300.

elkguide

WKR
As has been said, the pad under your bag is very important. I've added a Costco fleece that I sewed together at the bottom and up about two feet on the side and that adds a lot to my comfort level when I am sleeping in colder conditions. WM is definitely the top rung on the ladder and if you don't get a good night's sleep, it's really hard to be at the top of your game the next day.

If $400 is reasonable, save another $200 - $250 and buy a like new Western Mountaineering bag off the classifieds here. That's what I did. I checked every day, a couple of times a day, and immediately posted an "I'll take it!" when a new MF Sequoia came available for $650. That's an $800 bag. And it's awesome. I also run a Sycamore. I like the extra room of those two bags. With 900-quality down (they guarantee 850, but it is more like 900) they still compress down to little balls in a compression sack. You can likely get a WM mummy-style bag for even less (Sequoia is a semi-rectangle bag with a lot more down and material than the smaller mummies).

I promise you won't miss the extra money over the next 25 years of using that awesome sleeping bag.

20200626_185841.jpg