Sleeping pad for side sleepers

Gobbler36

WKR
Arm keeps going numb and waking me up constantly, thinking it may be time to switch up pads, currently using a therm are still new air therm, rectangle shape

Poser

WKR
I sleep on my side quite a bit. I use an Xtherm and then I fill two stuff sacks with extra clothes to have a knee pillow option on each side of me. This requires the least amount of intervention on my part to get comfortable as I toss and turn throughout the night.

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Im a side and stomach sleeper. I’ve been using the QCore Deluxe for awhile. It’s very nice but I froze my but off on it when it went below 30.

It’s heavier too. I’ve been looking to switch to the Xtherm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bighorner

WKR
I use the square Xtherm and have really enjoyed it so far. I'm a side and stomach sleeper.

LionHead

WKR
I'm a spin sleeper, I start on my back and turn clockwise throughout the night. I know its the wierdest shit, my lady thinks I'm crazy.

I'm never on my face for long but will switch between sides and back often. Something I've started doing that keeps me from turning is a cervical pillow, and something under my knees. It usually stops the spinning but is hard to replicate in the mountains.

The closest I can get is a thermarest compressible pillow and I burrow out the foam in the center each night making a donut shape and the I put my pack under my pad about knee level this also pushed my spine flat so it's not over arched on the air pad which makes my back sore.

This has the added benefit of draining the swelling from my feet and knees over night.

I started it last year and it was a 'holy shit' best sleep ever moment. I know it's not the OPs stated issue but maybe a solution along those lines could help. It my not be the pad but pillow hieght or other means to straighten your spine. If I side sleep I fold my pillow over to double it for propper height.

Works with
Xtherm
Nemo vector
Nemo Cosmo duo

Just another option

Also whiskey helps

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Klymit static v luxe and or the new klymit static v luxe sl

I have both these pads and with the extra width being a side sleeper they help big time with my sleep. They might be a bit heavier than some other brands but it’s not much especially for the size and to me comfort is definitely worth the weight.

Rob5589

WKR
I side sleep 95% of the time and use the Exped Synmat 7. Plenty of support and comfort even at 230 lbs.

Yeah, the klymit one I have is pretty good for side sleeping, haven't touched the ground yet sleeping on side. And it's fairly warm.

I am a side sleeper and on the husky side.

I have tried a few pads. Loving my sea to summit ether light. I have the wide rectangle version. 4” thick and less noise than my therm or neo air. I am 250# and don’t bottom out on that pad.

I make a headrest with a small inflatable pillow inside a stuff sack with some jackets and clothes stuff between my head and the inflatable pillow.

I bought a Therm-a-Rest cot last year and an Exped down mat I believe it's called. It's super thick. This combo was great for inside the floorless for my extended hunt last September. That cot isn't always practical. But any chance I have to take it it's going. That pad is I think that thickest and warmest you can get. Or it was last August. Previous I had a Therm-a-Rest Xtherm and it was ok but my buddy needed a bad and I wanted something thicker.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Klymit static v luxe and or the new klymit static v luxe sl

I have both these pads and with the extra width being a side sleeper they help big time with my sleep. They might be a bit heavier than some other brands but it’s not much especially for the size and to me comfort is definitely worth the weight.

Are these pads insulated? thinking of upgrading as well and wondering if the insulated pads make a huge difference?

Are these pads insulated? thinking of upgrading as well and wondering if the insulated pads make a huge difference?

They make both these pads in insulated and non-insulated. Whatever pad you go with from any manufacturer you need a good insulated pad for winter because when the down is compressed on your sleeping bag from you laying on it, it loses its loft and doesn’t keep you warm that’s where a insulated pads comes into play. That’s also the whole concept behind quilts.

They make both these pads in insulated and non-insulated. Whatever pad you go with from any manufacturer you need a good insulated pad for winter because when the down is compressed on your sleeping bag from you laying on it, it loses its loft and doesn’t keep you warm that’s where a insulated pads comes into play. That’s also the whole concept behind quilts.

Great advice. I appreciate that. Been as frugal as possible but time to step up to a nicer pad. Been looking at the klymit lineup. Just nice to hear other side sleepers like these pads. Do you run a pillow or just a stuff sack with clothing?

Great advice. I appreciate that. Been as frugal as possible but time to step up to a nicer pad. Been looking at the klymit lineup. Just nice to hear other side sleepers like these pads. Do you run a pillow or just a stuff sack with clothing?

If you have a Costco near by look on the website or maybe in store they sell the klymit pads and I’m sure you know they have a great return policy so if you don’t like it you can take it back. Definitely go with a pillow worth there weight in gold but test them all out from air, foam, and down and see what kind you’ve liked the best. I tried 4 different ones before I made a decision.

68Plexi

WKR
I know exactly what you’re talking about. Waking up every 45 min because your arm is asleep saps your energy for the next day. Been there. I use a Big Agnes Insulated Q Core Deluxe. I think it’s 4” thick. I only sleep on my side and it’s perfectly comfortable. It’s heavy, but my night sleep is worth it. Has primaloft silver in it as well which helps with the cold. Can’t hike much without a decent nights sleep. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm a side sleeper, too, and between a bad shoulder and deteriorated discs, I am very active all night. I currently run a Klymit Static V, and on flat ground I wake up nearly crippled. Two weeks ago I almost needed my kid to help me put in my pants in the morning. The pad is not at fault; just a lifetime of poor posture, genetics, and carelessness.

I'm now learning that a thick pillow, my pack under my knees, and a little deflation help a lot. However, the 2.5" pad does not leave much margin for deflation adjustment and the natural deflation caused by cooler air at night before my hips are on the ground. Therefore, I'm currently evaluating three pads in the 3.5"-4" range and may write a full side-by-side review.