Sleeping pads

HunterJim

FNG
I am getting ready for a backpack hunt this fall. I have a SG sky talus 6900, and enlightened equipment quilt. Next is sleeping pad, then tent. I want a pad that is durable and has a good r value, keeping in mind it will be packed into the Idaho mountains. Suggestions?

Thermarest. I have a neoair uberlite but it has low r value. NeoAir xlite is about a pound with 3.2 r value and xtherm max has 5.7 r value. They are pricey.

Graves14

WKR
Sea to summit pads are absolutely the most comfortable I’ve ever used. They’re on sale at REI till tomorrow as well.

OP
HunterJim

HunterJim

FNG
Cool, thanks for the info. A ton of information out there hard to narrow down...

I use a klymit static v. I have the non insulated but there is an insulated version. I will say it’s very comfortable and light, doesn’t take much to blow up and packs down to the size of a nalgene but only 3/4 the length. Look into the insulated one

OP
HunterJim

HunterJim

FNG
I should probably start another thread, but do you guys run with a dry bag during hunting season....all this money on gear maybe I should try to preserve it and keep it a little clean. I have always just packed meat with gear and washed it all later.

Thermarest X-Lite, or X-Therm if you're expecting temps. down into the teens. By "dry bag", what exactly would you use it for, to pack meat into, or to pack your camp into? I always break my gear down into dry bags and use the load shelf for packing meat. Meat is either packed in a SG load cell or just TAG game bags. Take this with a grain of salt though, since I've never been hunting in Idaho. :)

OP
HunterJim

HunterJim

FNG
I was thinking of using a dry bag for gear and if needed I could put meat in the bag as well as load shelf. I am uncertain how well the load shelf and a normal cloth game bag will work with a boned out elk or deer. It becomes a bit of a bag of mush.....

OP
HunterJim

HunterJim

FNG
I was thinking of using a dry bag for gear and if needed I could put meat in the bag as well as load shelf. I am uncertain how well the load shelf and a normal cloth game bag will work with a boned out elk or deer. It becomes a bit of a bag of mush.....
Meat in the dry bag separating from the gear for haul out.

LionHead

WKR
I was about to sling my TAR xtherm max (rectangular 25x78") on the classifieds. They've been durable, comfortable and warm. no holes after 20ish nights on em. I bought a pair because I thought mating them together for me and the GF would be easier to than it was in practice. Ended up with a Nemo Cosmo dual wide for that purpose.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
HunterJim

HunterJim

FNG
I was about to sling my TAR xtherm max (rectangular 25x78") on the classifieds. They've been durable, comfortable and warm. no holes after 20ish nights on em. I bought a pair because I thought mating them together for me and the GF would be easier to than it was in practice. Ended up with a Nemo Cosmo dual wide for that purpose.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Currently leaning toward a sea to summit insulated version.....only negative I'm reading is it's tough to get back in the stuff sack.

aion2come

WKR
if you want durability as your top priority, look for pads with 70d fabric or better. No pad is bombproof. Punctures, seams coming unsealed, etc can happen to any pad. Read reviews and go with what has a good reputation. I've been using an Exped 7 (not the UL version) for years and it is super comfy and durable. But I'm tired of the extra weight and this year am trying the S2S Ether Lite. We'll see if I regret prioritizing weight over durability. S2S has a good reputation though.

Pc5657

FNG
I am getting ready for a backpack hunt this fall. I have a SG sky talus 6900, and enlightened equipment quilt. Next is sleeping pad, then tent. I want a pad that is durable and has a good r value, keeping in mind it will be packed into the Idaho mountains. Suggestions?
Cool